“One of the best in Vancouver”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Great location, large, well-appointed rooms (all suites, only nine rooms per floor), very quiet, and a wonderful staff. This is always my first choice when staying in downtown Vancouver.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Recently stayed at the Westin Grande Vancouver - not a great experience and not worth the cost.

Upon arrival, the parking elevator wasn't working. Valet parking was a still a premium to the already steep $26/ day so had to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs.

When we got to our room, the bellman noticed we had a bottle of wine and asked if we wanted the ice bucket filled. I said yes, tipped him $10 and he never returned.

Next we discovered the bedroom phone wasn't working. Then found out the light bulbs on the desk lamp were burnt out. Then noticed the desk was filthy - something had been spilt on it and was never cleaned.

Went to get some ice to discover the ice machine wasn't working(I’m guessing this is why the bellman never returned).

Lastly reading through the Westin book in our room , I noticed the parking was listed as $21/day, not $26/day. When I called to inquire, the front desk mentioned the parking rates had increased. She did discount me the difference back, however had I not looked in the book, I would have been over charged. Oh and they wanted $15/day for internet usage too.

Room was fine but not worth the $200 / night, that's for sure

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brackenrig
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The junior suite separated the bedroom from the sitting room. We think we were put into the smallest possible suite in the whole hotel, but it was still okay.
Many nice restaurants are within walking distance including upscale quaisi-street food that is excellent. Don't be afraid to try them. The central location makes it easy to walk almost everywhere. A "Marketplace" IGA grocery store and a liquor store are in the same block as the hotel., and they'll have everything you need.

There is a bar refridgerator that is stocked with the usual high-priced stuff. We bought milk, juice and beer and tried to keep them cold in the mini fridge, but it was barely cool. After two days when we asked at the front desk to have the fridge checked, we were informed that the mini-fridge is not meant to cool anything, and that if we wanted a real fridge they would bring us one. They brought it right away. You just have to request a real fridge.

Our only other complaint was that the Westin charged $14.95 per day for the internet. The Vancouver Public Library is across the street, with FREE internet access. Also, it is the coolest library you've ever seen. The architecture is amazing. Even if you don't need the internet, just go see it and get some sushi or a "flying wedge" slice of pizza.

Overall, you will be happy here.

1  Thank srichtdi
Reviewed July 30, 2010

A genuine all-suite hotel with much to recommend. Stayed on two separate occasions and booked two different suites. The first was on the top two floors in an executive suite. Not the biggest but absolutely fine. On the 30th floor, so no balcony, which was a pity. Obviously great view but better to have an equally good view from a lower floor but with a balcony. Real point of the 'executive' tag was the inclusive breakfast. It actually just pays for a continental buffet but the restaurant staff are quick to tell you that you can use the 'value' against anything you want, so that's what we did. The extra each morning was just a few bucks if anything at all.

We preferred the corner suite on the 16th floor. It was bigger and with a balcony. The single bathroom had two doors - one into the bedroom and one to the lounge with the sofa bed. It worked brilliantly well, so our daughter staying on the sofa bed was really easy.

Good kitchen unit with microwave, sink and a dishwasher (that was really for the maid). There's a mini bar which won't keep anything cold, so you have to ask for a fridge which they will happily bring to the room.

The single restaurant is a bonus for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is superb and meant for sharing, so you never need to waste anything. But there's a market next door too open late, so you grab anything you want to make sandwiches or hot snacks if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Only minor quirk was the slightly course air conditioning. The first suite was generally too cold and too hot if you turned it off. Second was better and the balcony for the fresh air a major advantage. Aircon in the restaurant was also a small problem. We were all freezing after one 3 hour lunch, and hot drinks would get really cold quite quickly at breakfast.

Location is great. Just a few blocks from Vancouver City Centre station, where the train takes less than 20 minutes to get to the airport. Definitely better than sitting in traffic in a taxi. Plenty to do on Robson, great restaurants and shops in the nearby Pacific Centre Mall, Sears, The Bay etc. A superb noodle bar just over the road.

The hotel always has deals, so check them out before you book. We got the 5th and 6th nights free on the first stay.

Most importantly, the staff are brilliant. I can't believe anyone would ever write a bad review about this hotel.

Turn left outside the hotel and head the few yards towards the public library (on the left) pick up the hop-on, hop-off bus at the stop 20 yards on the left down Homer. You're a short walk away from Gas Town, Yaletown, Granville, Burrard and so on. You really can stay here for while without needing a car.

This was something like my 20th trip to Vancouver and I still found lots of things to do. The Westin Grand was a perfect base for enjoying the city.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Truthfully, I read the previous lukewarm reviews of this hotel and I almost changed the reservation before we travelled. Ultimately, though, I decided to go ahead and stay there.

I would rate the Westin Grand as average. It is probably above average when compared to hotels that cater to business travelers but it is below average when compared to other luxury hotels.

The room was upscale but a little worn (with the bath being the most worn-it had some issues with the grout and caulk in the bathroom). The lobby was nice and the staff were mostly accomodating.

However, we had several small problems from the moment we checked in. For example, our reservations clearly said that we had reserved a balcony suite on the 30th or 31st floor. Upon check-in, we were placed in a lesser room but this was rectified immediately when we noted it to the front desk staff. Still, though, we ended up on the 29th floor. I note that there are other reviewers who stated they had a similar experience.

We also had some minor problems with our key card and internet service (both were logged in for a one day stay so they both stopped working until we contacted the front desk).

While relatively minor, these types of things should not happen in luxury accomodations. If I am paying $150 per night then I would be more forgiving. However, at $300 per night, I expect a higher level of service and quality. Unfortunately, the Westin Grand just didn't deliver.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

First let me start by saying the housekeeping staff is superb. Some of the desk staff is friendly. The positive stops here!!! I am a SPG GOLD member. I booked 2 nights at this place on cash and points. I think the staff here does not understand that cash and points really come out to be over 200 bucks per night. I did NOT get a FREE room on just breathing! I EARNED my points. When I checked in, I asked for an upgrade to club floor. Was told the hotel was full. I understood that. The next day, I asked again. This time, I was told I have to pay a 50 dollars to upgrade. I was OK with that. I went to my "upgraded" room which was IDENTICAL to the size of my old room. I was told the 50 bucks I paid is supposed to cover the 32 bucks free breakfast that I had to ask for when I requested the upgrade! I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone episode! I was also told that I was informed the room size is identical! Who in his/her right mind would move to an identical room for an extra 50 dollars to get a 32 dollars breakfast! Yeah, you got it, NO ONE WOULD! So I told them to give me back my old room. At this point, I was told to return my free breakfast voucher!!! How is that for TREATING a GOLD preferred guest? I have never ever been treated like this at ANY hotel let alone a Westin! I wrote a note to complain and never heard from anyone at the hotel. Next time I am in Vancouver, I will stay at the Sheraton Wall Centre. They upgraded me for FREE to a club floor and their club lounge is amazing!! By the way, this hotel has TWO elevators for the entire hotel. NO club lounge. Because of this horrendous experience, I would never stay at another Westin as a SPG guest. I will stick with the Sheraton where they treat you well. This Westin made me feel as if I was a charity case! YUCK!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank MLD31
Reviewed June 28, 2010

When my family and I arrived to the hotel, the front desk staff put us in a smaller room than we were supposed to have and we were all on separate floors. We were sent to bigger rooms but they were still on separate floors. At that point we were to tired from a day of travel to really care. The room we were sent to was awful. The door wouldn't completely shut and the sink didn't work at all which we quickly learned that it was because of a burst pipe, because water gushed out from the floor; we had to use all our towels to clean that up. The phone didn't work and the only light in the living room was burnt out. Then we decide to go to the pool to relax, the sauna was out of order. We go back to the room, try to order room service, was told it would come in a half hour, waited an hour, called the front desk and learned that my order was never placed. Then when we try to get some sleep, the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night, had to trek down 21, yes 21 flights of stairs with a groggy 3 year old. Once the whole hotel was evacuated, in the middle of the night don't forget, we learned that the fire alarm went off because of a water leak on one of the top floors which short circuit the fire alarm....all...night...long. So there was absolutely no chance of sleep, and this was after climbing up the 21 flights of stairs again. This was all on New Years Eve so not only was the holiday ruined for us, but their was drunk people in the streets being obnoxious while we were definitely not in the mood. The personnel was cranky and rude the whole time, while bums waited outside the door to ask for money. I would never stay at the Westin again in my life.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family