“When construction ends, it will be much better!!”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 11, 2006

The hotel itself is really quite nice- not too small/boutique-like (like the Opus Hotel), and not too overwhelmingly large, like the Pan Pacific. It has a very nice pool, and extremely clean facilities and rooms. (I have stayed in the Westin in Boston, Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco, Phoenician in Scottsdale). The suites are nice, with decent sized sitting areas, and bathrooms. The bedroom area is a bit small, but since your actual room is an adequate size, it's not a problem. Plus, the "heavenly bed" is fabulous!!

The staff, although not too helpful, were very kind, and eager to help. (They seemed to be unfamiliar with the local restaurants/directions). We found it more useful to direct our "Vancouver" questions to locals on the street!

The only major issue that we had was the construction in the lot directly adjacent to our room (facing north). It's not the fault of the hotel, but rather due to the rapid expansion of condo complexes throughout the city. It seems as if this particular construction project is neverending, as reviews as far back as last year, complain about the noise. I would highly recommend this hotel, for its cleanliness, amenities, and location. However, I would strongly recommend staying in a room facing Robson Street (or a Southern view) so as not to contend with construction noise.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DFTripper

Reviewed August 5, 2006

The Westin Grand is an odd hybrid of a hotel – a boutique business hotel that tries to be two things at once and doesn’t really succeed at either. The biggest problem is one of scale: boutique generally means intimate spaces and personal service while grand generally means large public spaces and efficient, business-focused service. Calling this boutique hotel “grand” sets an expectation that the public spaces, service and ambiance do not live up to.

We enjoyed the modern, tasteful suite: it had a comfortable bedroom and a well-organized bathroom. Our corner location meant we had great views of Vancouver plus a small outdoor balcony off the living room. Unfortunately, this 30-story building has only two elevators, making a trip up to or down from the room a longer process than it should be for a hotel that aspires to be “grand.” The constant grumbling of the other guests about the elevator reinforced our view that this was a legitimate problem. The small dining room/bar/breakfast space right off the lobby is trendy, but again, it’s more boutique than grand and the resulting impression is one of trying to fit too much into too small a space.

The hotel seemed to be understaffed much of the time, with the bellhops/porters serving as doormen, valets and concierges, often at the same time. Multitasking can be admirable in the corporate world, but it is rather challenging in a hotel that should place more of an emphasis on service.

The Westin Grand is by no means a bad hotel; it’s perfectly fine. But if you’re expecting it to live up to its name, you’ll be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MJPBAF
Reviewed August 1, 2006

This was our first night stay of our Honeymoon and an excellent start to a trip across Canada. The location is good, just slightly away from the busy area, but in easy walking distance of the best bits of Vancouver.

Food was excellent, and the servers were freindly and helpful. Room was a fair size, in very good condition, and the bed was outstandingly comfortable- excellent for getting over jet-lag. The room had a kitchenette, with sink, fridge, coffee machine. Ice was available down the hallway. An ideal base for exploring Vancouver + a bit of luxury.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rediffusion
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Lovely modern hotel in a great location for seeing downtown Vancouver. Lots within walking distance. Breakfast ample. Staff helpful concierge/ porters particularily so. Had a problem first night, wrong room type allocated but was sorted amicably for the rest of our stay. We stayed there June 2006. Would definately go back.

3  Thank Aberdeengirl
Reviewed June 14, 2006

We stayed here for three nights after a cruise and were initially turned off by the lobby area and thought the small suite was tiny compared to the Four Seasons suite we had just left in Whistler. After awhile we thought the rooms was fine and met our needs. The upper floors have good vews and are key card access only. The room came with continental brfst which was more than enough for us. The concierge was helpful and knew alot about the local dining. I would recommend this property, good location on Robson

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank piatty73
Reviewed December 20, 2005

I was originally supposed to stay at another nearby hotel. I wanted something close to the client's office so I could walk and I didn't want to rent a car. I chose the Westin because of the Starwood program and my near addiction to getting more points.

Got in late after an insane immigration wait. Was in kind of a crappy mood. Was expecting something a little more, well, "grand" from the car port and lobby. It had a boutique hotel feel to it. Which is fine.

I had read the reviews and totally blew it by not asking for a room facing away from the construction. The previous reviewer was right. They started pounding something at about 6:30 am.

But, the staff was great. The room was great. I got tons of work done. The restaurant was terrific. The holiday decorations were festive. (This is a big deal with me. If I'm traveling on business in December, I want a place that will keep me in the mood until I can get home to my family.)

Close to everything. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank Layover
Reviewed December 17, 2005

as a very frequent traveller and a starwood prefered guest I get to see lots of hotels. I wanted a night away and decided to give the Westin Grand a try. I have to say I was disappointed.

To start they had no record of my reservaton. Even after I printed it out they couldnt find it. I was then given a room different from what I had reserved. The lounge/ restaurant is incredibly tiny. I thought it was just the lounge as it was the size of one.

The hotel has 31 floors AND only 2 elevators. Needless to say you can wait a while to get to and from your room.
the room was fairly nice, though had some bad design elements.
First you could hear the elevator in the room, while this may seem small, the computer power plug in was hidden on the end of the desk in a location one would never know or think of and it was impossible to find. the bathroom lights are either all on or all off, meaning if you want to have a nice bath you are either in full light or complete darkness.

the best thing about the hotel is the location.
The Bayshore is a much better laid out hotel right on the water. in the future i would go back there.

• Stayed: December 2005