“Wonderful, Seamless, Hassle-Free Stay”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I travel about once a week and stay at a number of hotels. While all of my Starwood stays are excellent, this stay at the Westin Grand was particularly exceptional. I was in town for a few days for business and also had family visits. From the moment we arrived until checkout, the entire staff was helpful every step of the way - whether I needed car service to and from my meetings, or suggestions for something nice to do with my family. They helped us make reservations at a nearby spa in Yaletown, a wonderful restaurant (The Fish House at Stanley Park!), and a reliable car service to and from each destination.
I felt like they were always a step ahead of me! The service was always quick, friendly and genuine. Even though this was a business trip, it felt like a mini-vacation :)

Thanks!

Room Tip: This hotel has an outdoor hot tub with a heated pool! Great way to unwind! I hardly ever come across...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear ILiveInASuitcase,

Based on your username, I see that you are a well seasoned traveller. With that in mind your kind comments are even more wonderful to read. I am looking forward to sharing them with our entire team. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Bryce Beatty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Grand for 5 nights in October 2013 for Business. I was upgraded to a 1-bedroom Suite (I am a Platinum Member with SPG). The Suite was actually rather small, but clean. The living area needed major updating, while the bathroom was alright. The carpet, sofa, closets and furniture were like traveling back to the 70's (with the exception of a large Flat screen TV). The Suite was located on the 30th floor; while offering a very nice view, the AC System had a hard time keeping up with the heat from the sun/windows (in October!), making it mandatory to to keep the curtains closed in daytime (blocking de facto the nice view ...).
The Staff was very nice from the Bellmen to the Concierge; I give the service 5 stars (especially thanks to the waiters at the “Hidden Restaurant” during breakfast service).
Overall, my stay was pleasant but the lack of updating in the bedroom will make me look for alternatives for my next visit to Vancouver.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Babelgian,

Thank you for your comments, I'm so glad that the service provided by our associates was "5 stars", we work very hard to ensure every guest has an excellent experience.

I'm sorry that the decor of the guest rooms was not to your liking, we are working hard with our design team to refurbish all the rooms in the hotel and that should be commencing quite soon.

I certainly hope that the style of the room will not detract you from returning to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Westin Grand on Robson several times for business. The location is wonderful; about a 10-minute walk from the office. Service is always friendly and prompt.

Their heavenly bed really is heavenly, and the rooms are comfortable. I stayed in a king suite for four nights - having the extra room made it feel a little homier.

Room Tip: I would suggest a higher floor for the great views of the city.

Dear Monique,

Thank you for staying with us! We're glad it felt like home. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

It's conviently located downtown, where we needed to be for a hockey game, so the location was fantastic. We booked on expedia to get the best rate possible, otherwise I would not say it's a great value for cost. We had a basic queen room. The bathroom was nice and big, however, the shower head was not the Heavenly double head, but they still put the sticker in the shower saying it was! And it would have been nice to haev 2 bath robes, not just one. The kitchenette is a nice touch, great to have actual wine glasses and a fridge. Parking was expensive, $30 for the one night. We didn't hear much traffic noise, especially for being on the 8th floor. I'd say it was just ok, we much prefer another Westin nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear diesel1129,

Thank you for your review, it sounds like your stay was mostly positive. However, I apologize that the parking rate and the lack of the double shower head negatively impacted what would have been a great stay.

We work hard to ensure our parking rates are competitive and are actually lower than most hotels in the area. We are in the process of putting in the new generation shower heads for Westin, the "rain shower".

I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We chose the AAA package with free wifi. Parking at $30 is self park under the WESTIN. For families looking for Suite accommodation - this is a good choice. We had a suite in the 26th floor which was by no means spacious, but did have a separate bedroom. We were told by other guests that rooms were too small for luggage. Ours with the Queen sofabed made out fit weekend luggage. The ventilation made the sitting room freezing with the bedroom doors closed, so don't expect to sleep with the doors closed. The checkin was not so
good as we were sent to the wrong floor with kids and luggage. The keys stopped working that night and the room was not fully made up as we had requested. However most of the employees in the hotel were really helpful and pleasant. Really nice pool, spa, steam rooms, sauna and workout facilities. The bar offered breakfast - SKIP THE BUFFET - eggs were dry and rubbery, but the alacarte menu was very good and the service was extremely accommodating. Lots of good options nearby - our favorite was Commune about 3 blocks away. The location is 4 blocks from Robson square, 5 blocks from Gaslight district and a few blocks from Yaletown. Perhaps a little gritty for some, but our teen saw it as an adventure. Just a note - you enter the hotel from a small alley - definitely odd, but it has an optional small door to stairs on Robson. We would probably stay again, if our plan was to shop .

Stayed: October 2013
mitcfaw, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Gemma'smum,

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us! We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and got to explore so much of our beautiful city. Please accept my apologies for the mixup at check in. We hope to see you all again soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for our weekend get away in September. After we arrived at YVR. We bought a one zone FareSaver booklet from the 7-11 at the airport and shared the tickets. The hotel was super easy to get to via Skytrain even in the pouring rain at 11:45pm.

From the hotel we took the train and on foot to various sites around Vancouver along with eating some authentic asian food in Richmond. The hotel is also walking distance to the bike rental for Stanley park by the convention center.

We especially enjoyed the shopping major shopping streets around the hotel and Japadog is literally next street over.

The corner room we were given has a kitchen and a living area. It was modern, clean and comfortable. The bed was a bit small/short but still comfortable. We opted in for the green choice program every night which exclude room cleaning with bonus Starwood points. The bathroom amenities were excellent.

The hotel has a terrible business center. I had to do some work for an hour during our stay and the business center not only cost extra but it was terribly small and uncomfortable. The Wifi also cost extra which really diminished our positive experience at the hotel.

Overall it was a comfortable stay, but for the price I paid, i'd rather stay somewhere with free wifi and a better business center. The hotel is definitely not for small-business travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Frank L
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Frank L,

Thank you for your detailed review of the property, it sounds like you enjoyed a variety of our amenities, our location and the service you were provided. However, I'm sorry that the business centre detracted from what would have been a very positive stay. As a small hotel, unfortunately we do not have the luxury of space, and while our business centre is small, we do try and provide everything a person may need.

Again, my apologies to you regarding the business centre, perhaps you could return to us in the future for leisure purposes?

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel has one of the better work out rooms I've found. Even the least expensive remote hotel tends to have aerobic machines. The Westin had the usual range of dumbells to 50# and the less common multi-move pulley machine. They also have medicine balls, bosu boards, stability balls, balance boards, stretch bands and steps. You can put together an awesome body weight/free weight session. The pool is long enough to actually swim laps.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear David,

We like to say "out of town doesn't have to mean out of shape." We're glad you're able to take advantage of our facilities to stay active. We hope to see you again soon!