“Excellent Stay”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, for pleasure and for work. I have always enjoyed the hotel with great sized rooms, amazing beds and comfortable living spaces.

The restaurant is excellent as well, their fitness menu is one of the best I have tried, and it suits my friends and family who are all gluten free with many excellent options to choose from.

Pros - great location, great gym, great restaurant, great rooms, fast wifi.
Small Con - Need more outlets, I struggle at all of the hotels I stay in to find enough plugs for my various devices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Marjk,

Thank you for staying with us! I appreciate you sharing your comments, and look forward to passing on your positive feedback to the restaurant team!

Bryce Beatty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family picked this hotel mainly because we somehow managed to get a really good deal: CAD319 per night only for the Penthouse, which was comprised of 2 interconnecting corner suites!

We checked in after midnight (around 2:30 am) and both the bell department and front desk were very welcoming and showed their care for our tiredness. The check-in was very efficient and all our luggage followed into the room soon.

Each of the two suites was quite large in size and had its own sitting area. There was also a built-in kitchenette in the master bedroom against the wall with a wet basin, coffee maker, microwave and dish washer. The decor and room amenities were pretty standard and well-maintained, though there was a couple of minor defects (eg a broken luggage rack and slightly faulty bedside lamp switches).

The hotel was conveniently located on Robson St in downtown with lots of restaurants and shops downstairs, including a 24h Tim Hortons right next door. Self-parking at the basement was available at a very reasonable daily rate of CAD30 (or CAD35 for valet parking).

All in all the entire team of the hotel staff was very courteous and helpful throughout our stay. The decor of the public areas was however a bit old-fashioned and slightly aged.

The only disappointment that I had was that our requests for an evening late check-out (for at least 1 of the 2 suites) were not acceded to. Since we checked in well after midnight and had to catch a red-eye flight (departing at 2:05 am) again after check-out, and that the demand for the Penthouse might not be as great as other guest rooms, we had expected the hotel to be more flexible with our request instead of extending our check-out time to 3:00 pm only.

That said, we are very happy with the overall performance of the staff and had a rather enjoyable stay at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Zungyaci, it was an absolute pleasure to have you and your family stay with us. I’m very glad to hear that our staff contributed to making your stay memorable. We hope to welcome you and your family back very soon!

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 5 times. I like south facing rooms. At this hotel, the south facing rooms are full length on a curved wall, with a great view of the iconic Vancouver Public Library.

You are right on Robson, and can walk everywhere

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank CarefreeMommy
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments CarefreeMommy! We look forward to welcoming you back for your sixth stay!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Rooms are excellent. I love the lay out of the suite. First time I've ever seen a small kitchenette in a Westin. The amenities are great as always.

Pros: Location, Price, Food options, Service, Comfortness, love the outdoor pool/hottub, gym.

Cons: The room has almost NO electrical outlets. There are none on the desk, none on the light switches, you have to unplug something (lamp, etc). There is a "head shop" inside the hotel, which is very bizarre. I never expected to be able to buy drug paraphernalia in a Westin. TV stations were poor selection.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Trilobite01,

Thank you for your review. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Good location on Robson Street. Hotel doesn't look much from the outside but pretty good inside, the helpful staff being the best part.

Used the rail link from the Airport to the hotel, station round the corner and an easy walk with luggage - much cheaper and faster than getting a taxi.

Small kitchen in room, complete with dishwasher, coffee machine. Quite adequate for snacks and a quick breakfast. There is a Tim Hortons next door - for those who don't know, like me initially, its a chain restaurant serving a 'McDonald's' type breakfast bun. You can choose your bread roll eg. bagel, English muffin or biscuit, then you basically choose your topping, egg, egg white, bacon, sausage, cheese etc. Not gourmet but a quick cheap alternative to hotel prices and its opened 24 hours and like McD's it changes its menu to a lunch time burger menu.

We had a good view from our room facing the library and stadium in the background.

Hotel great for the hop on and hop off bus tours that stop at the library on the next block. Would highly recommend the tour to get a feel for all the different suburbs and to note which attractions you want to visit and spend more time at. We got a two day pass and this was more than adequate, ask the concierge at the hotel for a money off voucher for the 'Trolley Bus Tour'.

Lisa Cumming - Head Concierge was fantastic. Great knowledge of the city and sites and fantastic restaurant recommendations. She was also invaluable when booking the car ferry to Vancouver Island - my travel company told me reservations weren't necessary but as it was BC Holiday Weekend Lisa strongly advised to book and made the reservation for me - just as well as the port was chock-a-block with cars due to the holiday weekend. Lisa also organised a bottle of fizz for my in-laws who were on the trip to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Nice welcome touch - thank you once again.

Check out the pool area and the 'pop up lounge' on the pool terrace for a pre-dinner drink.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi HotelLover18,

Thank you so much for your comments. Glad to hear that you were able to make the most of your trip with your family. Vancouver Island is a great place to visit, and I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the #PopUpPatio. We’re very fortunate to have someone as passionate and knowledgeable as Lisa on our team, and I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to her. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We visited Vancouver during June for a congress. Even if the convention centre wasn't close to this hotel, its location is super since all the major neighbourhoods are walking distance: Gastown, Yaletown, city centre, etc. Our reservation included a standard double room; however we were upgraded to a suite with a living room, a full equipped (compact) kitchen and a large bathroom. We were on a high floor with nice view. The stuff was friendly but not very helpful. The bar was nice. Only negatives were the breakfast (not included) that was poor and with a little variety, the long check in and check out and that there are only two elevators!
Overall though, it was a nice stay, with great value for money

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us jtk_Greece! Glad you were able to experience some of Vancouver’s sights while attending your convention! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I visit Vancouver several times per year and always stay at the Westin Grand. The location on Robson Street is fantastic with ample shopping, nightlife and restaurants within easy walking distance. I also appreciate the suite style rooms with tiny kitchenettes. It makes for comfortable accommodations away from home.

That said, my recent visit on Aug 2-4 left me rethinking my future Vancouver stays. My room was cramped and definitely starting to show its age. The cordless phone in the bedroom did not work, artwork on the walls is blue and faded from the sun, not enough bath towels, and some issues with liquid of some sort being poured into the pool area.

The hotel staff were unresponsive. On four separate occasions I tried to phone the concierge from the room and received no answer (even after 15+ rings). So that meant a trip downstairs on the slowest elevators in the world. By the time you wait for the elevator to arrive + the many stops with ultra-slow doors on the way up and down, a trip to the lobby and back can easily take 15 to 20 minutes.

In short, I have really enjoyed this hotel in the past, but this visit was a serious disappointment, particularly for the price paid. Hope this property is able to clean up its act.

Room Tip: Corner suites have balconies and extra space. Higher floors typically have better views, but you...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan_RD
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Ryan_RD,

Thank you for your feedback and your loyalty to the Westin Grand. My sincere apologies that your most recent stay was not up to our usual standards. We are working with our elevator maintenance company as well as an Engineering firm who are in the process of studying the elevators and will provide us with recommendations to increase the speed of them.

I certainly hope that you will return, if you do, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at bryce.beatty@westingrandvancouver.com so that I may personally ensure your stay is as comfortable as can be.

On another note, if you ever need assistance from your room, simply press "0" on your room telephone. Our Service Express agent can then either located the Concierge for you, or assist you with whatever you require.