“Perfect location for walking around and Sleep In in the Heavenly Bed”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Mission, BC
“Perfect location for walking around and Sleep In in the Heavenly Bed”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I live in the Fraser Valley and always use Priceline to book a last minute hotel deal when we feel like getting away for some good time together. We used Priceline's Express Deals button and there was an offer for a four star hotel in the Entertainment District of Vancouver. We chose it and were relieved and impressed it was the Westin Grand hotel that was chosen ( as you do not know what hotel you will get only the star level). First - the one and only negative. You pay for WiFi. I do think WiFi in todays day and age should be considered an amenity. I especially feel this way, as the room we stayed in has a rate sheet on the inside of the closet door, and ranged from 417-479/night.
Positives : The hotel is classy right from walking in, staff are friendly, room was beautiful and you think by booking through a third party having no choice in the room that we'd get the crappy room at the low end of value. No, we got a superior suite. It had a little sink/kitchenette in it, a living room seperate bedroom with queen bed, and a gorgeous bathroom with soaker tub. Your typical amenities are available (coffee tea, by starbucks, soap, shower gel, lotion, shamp/condi.) Floor to ceiling windows throughout (Except in bathroom) and the view is amazing. We could see so much right in the thick of it, and at night it's spectacular.
Westin's Heavenly beds are amazing. We stayed at a Westin Bayshore before, and you don't want to get out of bed in the morning! There were two flat screen tv's one in the bedroom one in the living room. The globe and mail newspaper was delivered to our room in the morning. Parking was $30.. We checked in after work and our drive around 7pm. And our parking was good until 6pm the next day. Check out time is 12pm too which is nice.
We ate dinner at Lupo which is a cute italian restaurant on Hamilton St I believe. It was the best meal my husband and I have had in a long time. It was perfect intimate lighting, perfect music, the staff was incredible and the food was to die for. We paid $105 for dinner (that's not including tip, and we always tip 20% if we have an awesome experience like this) I had a glass of Pinot Grigio, my husband just had water, and two appy's and two dinners. It's literallly a 5 minute walk from this hotel. There is shopping and entertainment right at the door step of this hotel and that's what adds to it's greatness. It's annoying finding parking in Vancouver , not to mention expensive, so it's nice to find things within walking distance.
I would recomment this to my friends and family, and I would definitly hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: The superior suite is nice and spacious for a downtown hotel. You could have someone sleep on the co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear jenandjer,

We're so pleased you and your husband enjoyed such a great getaway! Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!

Bryce Beatty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I live in the Lower Mainland and decided last weekend to have our first child free overnighter. I had won a night at this hotel as an award for fundraising for a local charity and I was a little concerned we might be treated differently from a paying customer.

My concerns were quickly swept aside by the fantastic service and treatment we received from the Front Desk Staff, the Valets and even the lady that had to ask my wife and I to kindly exit the outdoor hot tub at 10 pm.

The bed was super comfortable and the Superior room was like a small apartment. Being on Robson Street the hotel is very conveniently located, and based on our experience we are going to have to return. Our 18 hours spent at the hotel felt like a relaxing 3 day long weekend. We will be highly recommending the hotel to our friends who live both in Vancouver and elsewhere.

Dear billykidd,

A weekend away from the children can do wonders, can't it? I'm so pleased your getaway to the city was so rejuvenating, we certainly hope you can plan another one soon!

kitchener,ontario
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hi

I am a travel agent and stayed at this hotel for six nights last week.

The staff at this hotel were amazing and very accomodating. The rooms were very nice with the beds being very comfortable.

They had just opened the pop up patio when we were there. It is gorgeous by the pool.

We used the concerige and bell boys alot, all were very good.

The only complaint I would have is that they need more elevators.

Thanks Kim

Hi Kim,

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your discerning eye as a travel agent, and are pleased that our team made such a positive impression on you! We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Sincerley,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great location in downtown Vancouver - close walking distance to Yaletown and Granville St shopping. Staff was extremely helpful. Restaurant had a great breakfast menu. Suites were very nice with a huge bathroom, and having a kitchenette was handy while travelling with a baby. Did not find the WiFi slow at all. Reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Homer or W Georgia have much better views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Matt,

Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a frequent business traveller to Vancouver, I have been staying at the Westin Grand for a number of years now. It has a great location right on Robson that makes it easy to walk to all of the places that I generally want to visit (e.g., our local office, Yaletown and its stop for the Aquabus that ferries passengers over to Granville Island, the stores on Robson, BC Place stadium, etc.). There is a 24-hour Tim Hortons coffee shop right next door, a convenience store kitty-corner across the street, and a grocery store on one corner of the block with a boutique liquor store on the other. I really appreciate the fact that many of the employees have been on staff for years and so I often recognize faces when I visit and am always warmly welcomed back. (The hotel actually used to give returning guests a little bag of candy treats at check-in - the homemade marshmallows were my favourite - but they have apparently had to discontinue that practice for health and safety reasons.) The lobby is located up on the second level, at the top of a huge curving staircase. The elevators and bell desk are located at the rear of the ground floor space. One elevator goes only to the lobby and to the parking garage, while two others service the rest of the building. A room key is required to access the room floors. Given the height of the hotel, having only two elevators can prove to be slow, especially in the peak morning period, so be sure to factor that into your travel plans. (There are closed-captioned TVs mounted on each floor by the elevators, set to a news channel, to help you pass the time while waiting...) The rooms are all "suites", decorated in soft neutral colours, with small kitchenettes, typically built into closets so they are tucked away out of sight. They don't really allow for much cooking, but are great for heating up meals in the microwave and for keeping drinks and snacks cool in the fridge. Each kitchenette offers a selection of dishes, glasses and silverware, and a teeny-tiny dishwasher. The bathrooms are spacious, sometimes with separate showers and soaking tubs, and all are fitted with the Westin double showerhead and curved shower curtain rods. The bedrooms offer the infamous, and super comfy, "heavenly beds" with their silky-soft white linens and variety of pillow types. (Note that the studio model and the one that offers two queen beds don't have a separate bedroom but are just one big open space. The other models all have separate bedrooms, albeit often not large ones, as there is pretty much just enough room for the bed.) There is a programmable safe in each suite that is large enough to accommodate a laptop, and an ironing board with iron, and a very handy loaner umbrella, given Vancouver's often rainy weather. The living area has a large desk and a sofa with a chaise extension, and often an armchair or two. There are large (40") flat screen TVs in both the living room and the bedroom, where applicable. The hotel is physically shaped like a grand piano, so I typically get a one-bedroom superior suite with a king-sized bed on the curve of the glass, as it offers great views out over the city, including the Romanesque architecture of the public library building next door, and is always bright and light-filled. If you are lucky enough to get a corner suite, those units have small balconies that offer the chance to step outdoors to enjoy the view and fresh air. There is a restaurant off the lobby that offers a decent enough breakfast buffet (at typically high hotel pricing) and is also a great place to have a drink and a bite to eat after work. As a Maritimer, I have really enjoyed the lobster poutine on my last couple of visits, and the sweet-and-salty watermelon and feta salad is also very good. During my most recent stay, I discovered that food is available on the pool deck too, on the hotel's third floor, so that a drink and/or meal can be enjoyed outdoors, either in the sun or on the shaded side of the terrace. The outdoor pool is not huge (it's basically a rectangle, just two lanes wide, with a staircase at one end) but it is heated and is now filled with saltwater so there is no chlorine smell and it is still crystal clear. There are lounge chairs and groupings of tables and chairs placed all around it, and there is also a small hot tub tucked at one end. Back inside the hotel, there is a fully-equipped gym that looks out onto the pool deck and is open all of the time. The government rate includes Wi-Fi and I have never had any trouble picking it up in any of the rooms in which I have stayed. This is a great hotel and it will continue to be my home-away-from-home in Vancouver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Anne K
Dear Anne,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest after so many years. We truly appreciate your business, and look forward to each one of your visits. Stay well!

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We only stayed one night, we flew in the night before and were boarding a cruise the next day.

We arrived without our luggage and they were very helpful.

We are Starwoods Plat and they gave us a nice upgrade to a suit.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor, probably better facing the sea, we were on the land side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AandM5864
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear AandM5864,

It was our pleasure to welcome you before your cruise, we're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My normal hotel was booked up so I decided to stay here and now I'll never change again. Excellent views, great staff and perfect location.

What I liked:
The room! see the pics!
The food! great bites
The people!

What i disliked:
The internet was a little slow. Not bad, but not great.

All in all, it's my new permanent home in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Get a high floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank AgileDude
Dear AgileTraveller,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're so please you enjoyed your first stay with us. We look forward to many more visits!