“Great Downtown Vancouver Hotel”

Westin Grand Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Downtown Vancouver Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great location in downtown Vancouver - close walking distance to Yaletown and Granville St shopping. Staff was extremely helpful. Restaurant had a great breakfast menu. Suites were very nice with a huge bathroom, and having a kitchenette was handy while travelling with a baby. Did not find the WiFi slow at all. Reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Homer or W Georgia have much better views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bryce B, General Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Matt,

Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Bryce Beatty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a frequent business traveller to Vancouver, I have been staying at the Westin Grand for a number of years now. It has a great location right on Robson that makes it easy to walk to all of the places that I generally want to visit (e.g., our local office, Yaletown and its stop for the Aquabus that ferries passengers over to Granville Island, the stores on Robson, BC Place stadium, etc.). There is a 24-hour Tim Hortons coffee shop right next door, a convenience store kitty-corner across the street, and a grocery store on one corner of the block with a boutique liquor store on the other. I really appreciate the fact that many of the employees have been on staff for years and so I often recognize faces when I visit and am always warmly welcomed back. (The hotel actually used to give returning guests a little bag of candy treats at check-in - the homemade marshmallows were my favourite - but they have apparently had to discontinue that practice for health and safety reasons.) The lobby is located up on the second level, at the top of a huge curving staircase. The elevators and bell desk are located at the rear of the ground floor space. One elevator goes only to the lobby and to the parking garage, while two others service the rest of the building. A room key is required to access the room floors. Given the height of the hotel, having only two elevators can prove to be slow, especially in the peak morning period, so be sure to factor that into your travel plans. (There are closed-captioned TVs mounted on each floor by the elevators, set to a news channel, to help you pass the time while waiting...) The rooms are all "suites", decorated in soft neutral colours, with small kitchenettes, typically built into closets so they are tucked away out of sight. They don't really allow for much cooking, but are great for heating up meals in the microwave and for keeping drinks and snacks cool in the fridge. Each kitchenette offers a selection of dishes, glasses and silverware, and a teeny-tiny dishwasher. The bathrooms are spacious, sometimes with separate showers and soaking tubs, and all are fitted with the Westin double showerhead and curved shower curtain rods. The bedrooms offer the infamous, and super comfy, "heavenly beds" with their silky-soft white linens and variety of pillow types. (Note that the studio model and the one that offers two queen beds don't have a separate bedroom but are just one big open space. The other models all have separate bedrooms, albeit often not large ones, as there is pretty much just enough room for the bed.) There is a programmable safe in each suite that is large enough to accommodate a laptop, and an ironing board with iron, and a very handy loaner umbrella, given Vancouver's often rainy weather. The living area has a large desk and a sofa with a chaise extension, and often an armchair or two. There are large (40") flat screen TVs in both the living room and the bedroom, where applicable. The hotel is physically shaped like a grand piano, so I typically get a one-bedroom superior suite with a king-sized bed on the curve of the glass, as it offers great views out over the city, including the Romanesque architecture of the public library building next door, and is always bright and light-filled. If you are lucky enough to get a corner suite, those units have small balconies that offer the chance to step outdoors to enjoy the view and fresh air. There is a restaurant off the lobby that offers a decent enough breakfast buffet (at typically high hotel pricing) and is also a great place to have a drink and a bite to eat after work. As a Maritimer, I have really enjoyed the lobster poutine on my last couple of visits, and the sweet-and-salty watermelon and feta salad is also very good. During my most recent stay, I discovered that food is available on the pool deck too, on the hotel's third floor, so that a drink and/or meal can be enjoyed outdoors, either in the sun or on the shaded side of the terrace. The outdoor pool is not huge (it's basically a rectangle, just two lanes wide, with a staircase at one end) but it is heated and is now filled with saltwater so there is no chlorine smell and it is still crystal clear. There are lounge chairs and groupings of tables and chairs placed all around it, and there is also a small hot tub tucked at one end. Back inside the hotel, there is a fully-equipped gym that looks out onto the pool deck and is open all of the time. The government rate includes Wi-Fi and I have never had any trouble picking it up in any of the rooms in which I have stayed. This is a great hotel and it will continue to be my home-away-from-home in Vancouver.

4 Thank Anne K
Dear Anne,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest after so many years. We truly appreciate your business, and look forward to each one of your visits. Stay well!

Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We only stayed one night, we flew in the night before and were boarding a cruise the next day.

We arrived without our luggage and they were very helpful.

We are Starwoods Plat and they gave us a nice upgrade to a suit.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor, probably better facing the sea, we were on the land side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AandM5864
Bryce B, General Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear AandM5864,

It was our pleasure to welcome you before your cruise, we're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My normal hotel was booked up so I decided to stay here and now I'll never change again. Excellent views, great staff and perfect location.

What I liked:
The room! see the pics!
The food! great bites
The people!

What i disliked:
The internet was a little slow. Not bad, but not great.

All in all, it's my new permanent home in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Get a high floor!
3 Thank AgileDude
Dear AgileTraveller,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're so please you enjoyed your first stay with us. We look forward to many more visits!

Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My return stay at this hotel was excellent! I was a little dubious after my last stay but was rewarded for visiting again. The room was great - sunny bright and fresh with a small balcony facing SW. It certainly helped with the sun beaming in. As I was returning from Europe business, the room was a welcome place to take the edge off of jet lag.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're so pleased you visited us again, and are delighted to have welcomed you back. Safe travels, we look forward to seeing you again!

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I originally booked on line for two nights and found out that I did not require the second night so I called the 800 number and cancelled the second night. When they did that the ate changed by $15.00. I questioned it and they said they could do nothing for me. Having been a repeat customer at this Westin I thought I would ask about the rate change once I got there in person. As usual I received exceptional service from the front desk and they not only changed my rate to the original quote, but they noticed that the original quote stated that all taxes were included (never happens). They did some investigation and found out that there was a gliche on their website that was corrected. They still honoured the all inclusive rate. Now that's customer service!

The only setback I find at this location is that Kitchen can be slow for food timing. The wait staff (Jesse especially) are excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your comments Eric! We truly appreciate your business a return customer, and it is our team's pleasure to provide the service that keeps you coming back.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our room was clean and comfortable though the clerk said the suite contained a queen size bed. It was way smaller than the queen beds i am used to. The Desk clerk also tried to upsell me to a larger room with a "kingsize" bed.

The hotel did offer emenities one would expect from a property of this caliber. What really put us off was a group of men was in the room next to ours and had a night long drunken party complete with shouting etc. as a matter of fact we found one of the revelers sleeping on the bench outside of our room the next morning. Our call relative to the noice should have put the staff on notice and had them check on the party to keep things quiet.

When we asked the staff to wake the drunk in the hall the next morning, they excused it by saying the guy tried to get into the room not realizing he was on the wrong floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear dutch68008,

Thank you for your comments, I am so sorry about the disturbance you experienced with your neighbors. While we can't control the behaviors of our guests, once you informed us of the issue we should have dealt with it immediately. I will be following up with our night team regarding this.

Getting a good night sleep is one of the fundamentals of a hotel, I apologize that we didn't provide this. If possible, could you reach out to me directly at bryce.beatty@westingrandvancouver.com so that we may discuss?

I look forward to speaking with you further on this issue.