“A lovely oasis.”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Quite an excellent five-day stay at the end of February. Location was ideal for me and my friend, both for the work we did during the day, and socialising in the evening. Only had a drink in the resto, so don't know about the food. The saltwater pool, whilst a wonderful change from a standard chlorinated pool, was pretty small. Though the dry sauna was an oasis. Staff was excellent, and the rooms were nicely sized and very comfy all 'round.

My friend's room, regrettably, had a slightly musty smell, though I didn't notice anything in mine. And one day my room had still not be housekeeped upon my return at 3:30pm, but that was very quickly remedied by the crew chief.

All around, an excellent stay with only a couple of complaints.

1  Thank romaroamer
Bryce B, Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear romaroamer,

Thanks for sharing your comments! Our goal is to ensure our guests leave feeling better than when they first arrived, so we're very pleased you considered us "a lovely oasis." I'm glad to see our team was able to resolve the issues you experienced as well. Thank you for visiting us, we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed twice at this hotel, and both times I had a very tiny room. Both times the temperature in the room had been turned down very low, and it took hours for the room to warm up to a comfortable level. When I arrived for this trip, IN FEBRUARY, the air conditioner was on full blast, set at 15.9 degrees C. I changed the temperature setting, and the room had only warmed up 1 degree over the next hour. I had to leave for a few hours to allow the room to become tolerably comfortable.
Also, I had to leave at 4:30 AM, and still had not received my invoice for the stay. This is inconvenient, as I did not have time to go to the front desk, which is not on the same level as the exit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Leigh8451,

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that your room was cold upon entry, this should not be the case and I will be following up. For future stays, simply send me a note in advance of your stay letting me know what time you are planning on arriving and I will ensure the room is at the correct temperature. As well, if you are leaving very early in the morning, we can arrange an earlier than normal delivery of your invoice, or even better if you provide us with your email address we can send it to you.

Again, my apologies for the issues you encountered, I certainly hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travel for work to Vancouver often and I have satyed here a few time now for work and also for family trips. I waited to write a review to make sure I had a good sample of experience to draw from. The hotel location is fantastic as it is close to restaurants, shopping, arena, and transport. The room has always been clean and up to expectations - my expectations of a Westin hotel are pretty high! The fitness area is not huge but is well equiped and has a nice steam room - this is very relaxing after a long day of meetings. I have always enjoyed my stay here and find the staff very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to ayone who wanted to stay in a very nice facility in the centre of downtown Vancouver.

My only request for improvement would be to add a hospitality suite for your frequent guests as per some other hotel.

Thanks for another wonderful stay and I look forward to my return trip next week!

Anil K

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hi Anil,

Thanks so much for sharing our review! We're glad to see you were able to unwind and recharge during your visit. Did you take advantage of our New Balance Gear Lending program? If not, be sure to ask us about it when you return next week. Look forward to seeing you then!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I was upgraded to a large suite on one of the top floors with amazing views of the water and the city. It was a corner room so I had view from two sides. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. This was in fact the best staff I have ever encountered at a Westin; kudos to management for that. I interacted with the bellman, concierge, front desk, bartender and a member of housekeeping all were exceptional in their service. The rooms are modern and have been recently updated. The hotel was clean and had nice facilities. I did not use the gym on this visit. The food in the bar was good, I did not eat in the restaurant. This hotel is centrally located making it easy to walk to restaurants and points of interest. In would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the high floors will have good views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keldes
Bryce B, Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear keldes,

Thank you so much for such a stellar review! Your comment "This was in fact the best staff I have ever encountered at a Westin" is truly appreciated, and I look forward to sharing this with the team. We are in the business of service, and feedback like this from our guests is wonderful to hear. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall decent experience. Hotel seems to have been a conversion from a residential bldg. Our studio suite had a strange layout that looked more like an apartment (it even has a small kitchenette).

Service was good, but note that the bar closes early even on a Saturday. I think it closed at 11pm when we were there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear ezaulo,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I'm sorry that you did not like the layout of your room, the kitchenette feature is one that most of our guests find quite convenient and they are well used, however I understand that this is not a "normal" hotel feature in downtown major cities. The strange layout is perhaps due to the shape of the building being a Grand Piano (hence the name, Westin Grand). I also apologize for the early closing on Saturday evening of the Lounge, this should have not been the case.

We have lots of different types of rooms, even though they all have kitchenettes, so I hope that we can welcome you back and perhaps find one that will suit your needs.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my favorite hotel when I stay in Vancouver. The location is great, the rooms are nicely appointed and well maintained and the service is friendly and courteous. Many of the rooms, particularly the upper floor rooms have great view of the Vancouver skyline. Recently I had a slight problem with a noisy ventilation fan in the hallway. The staff immediately responded to my concerns and even though the hotel was almost full, manged to find me a different room and made the change with minimal inconvenience. They then made a point to follow up to insure the change was suitable, which is was. The kind of attention to service I appreciate when I'm travelling.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have many choices for hotels when I travel to Vancouver and on this third visit, I was once again impressed with the caring attitudes and efficient service. Room was far superior to other hotel rooms - for the price I paid - and the service I expected as well.

Room Tip: Seek a room behind the elevator bank, and not in front of the doors.

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for being our guest! We truly appreciate the kind comments. We look forward to having you back soon!