“Good service, good location.. nice view”

The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
London, United Kingdom
“Good service, good location.. nice view”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Grand for multiple nights during our vacation in August 2011 (yes, this review is rather late ;-) ). Our rooms where always nice and clean and even the smaller suites are perfectly ok for two people. As an SPG Platinum, we received upgrades to the deluxe corner suites most of the time, and when the weather is was good, spending some time on the (small) balcony was nice.

During stay, I had a medical emergency and the staff was very helpful in getting a doctor etc. Even though the hotel was fully booked, the made sure my financee would have been able to stay (I needed an emergency operation and was in the hospital).

As mentioned in other reviews, this hotel is not "near" the water (although everything is kind of "near the water here". I would say it takes 20-30 min to walk to the westin bayshore and only 20 min to reach the place where the cruise ships leave. Shops, restaurants and entertainment are close by and in case you want to make use of the kitchenette, there is a large supermarket close by too.

We had a very good time during our stay and will stay here again (actually we will have or next stay tomorrow, which prompted me to write this review, which I wanted to write for over a year ;-) ).

[I rated "value" only average, since the published rates are good, but not great and "Spa", because its rather small. Our rate did not include breakfast, therefore no rating]

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hans W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ucluelet
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was greeted by a lovely front desk agent named "Christina", she stepped away from her desk, came up to shake my hand and asked me my plans for my stay, she upgraded me to a higher unit and was very friendly/personable. I work in the tourism industry as well, and she went above and beyond to what i'm used to. The sleep quality was just average for me, since I was travelling with my sister and her boyfriend and I took the sofa-bed. I know these are primarily for young children. I unfortunately didn't get to try the lounge/spa or restaurant, but I look forward to coming back! I just wanted to give my rave reviews about their guest services. Best i've ever had! Thank you, Christina. You were highly memorable :).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank samxmalone
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear samxmalone,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad that Christina was able to give you such excellent service and to make your stay so memorable. I'm sorry about your sleep, next time you stay at the hotel make sure you get the Heavenly Bed!!

Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

i stay at the westin grand vancouver often for business. A great location with excellent friendly staff. Rooms are large and the beds are super comfy. The swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room and gym are as good as you will see at a hotel. i've never had a problem with this property.

The biggest downside is the elevators. Somehow when engineering this facility the elevators were not built to meet the demand and thus you can wait. I am used to this now and still get frustrated but some people are annoyed to the point of saying they will never come back. Just a heads up.

If you want to be steps away from rapid transit, sporting arenas, restaurants and the best shopping in Vancouver then this is the place.

Room Tip: North views of the north shore mountains are beautiful
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jan k
Bryce B, General Manager at The Westin Grand, Vancouver, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear jan k,

I think your title says it all!! 99% of your stay was so good, except for the elevators. We certainly recommend to our guests that during peak times they give themselves a bit more time to reach their destination as there may be a short wait, we completely understand the frustration that the elevators can sometimes cause.

I'm so glad that this will not deter you from returning, we look forward to your next stay.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2012

As platinum members with Starwoods for almost a decade we've been extremely satisfied overall. Occasionally, we're a little disappointed:after all nobody's perfect. More often we're extremely satisfied and pat ourselves on the back for having made such a wise choice in hotels. This property is one of those time. From it's central location to it's more than accommodating staff this well appointed, suite only hotel is a gem. The gym, pool and hot tub were fabulous.

Room Tip: Snag one of the corner suites with a terrace if available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richloree
Dear richloree,

Thank you for your comments, as a Platinum member in the SPG program you are obviously a very well travelled individual and I'm sure have seen your fair share of hotels, so your obvservations are so important to us.

Your compliments regarding the service, location and services have been passed onto the team here and they are quite proud to be able to offer you the excellent service you expect from a Westin.

We look forward to your next visit to the hotel.

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

For our 25th wedding anniversary we celebrated by staying downtown at the Westin Grand Hotel. It turned out to be a little piece of heaven for us during a busy time in our lives. The rooms and the bedding are luxurious and our view from the 26th floor was amazing! The front desk staff were so cheerful and helpful; even making dinner reservations for us both nights. When I realized I had forgotten my walking shoes at home, they had a brand new pair of running shoes sent to our room for a very small fee. The staff at the Westin Grand exemplify excellence in customer service. I highly recommend this hotel, both for it's amazing staff as well as the peaceful rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We enjoyed a three night stay at the Westin Grand, Vancouver. From the warm reception we received on arrival, to the spectacular enhanced view room, to the smiles and assistance from the entire staff, it was a marvelous base for our trip. The location is wonderful, city center out the door, Yaletown, Coal Harbor and the seawall nearby. Staff recommended Lupo restaurant a block away, where we spend a lovely evening over a fabulous meal. We hope to be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I enjoyed my stay this weekend. Nice property. Only real complaint would be two elevators. It was a bit painful to wait so long consistently time after time. The service was quite pleasant and the suite I stayed in was smal but very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business