“2-day business stay”

Westin Grand Vancouver
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“2-day business stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Pool and hot-tub were great, as well as the sauna and exercise room. Front desk was professional, helpful, and really seemed interested in us as people. Concierge was quietly efficient and caring.
If you are planning on going for a midnight swim, you'll have to go around 9 - 9:30 PM, as the swimming pool and hot-tub close at 10 PM. Showers afterwards were great, including the high speed spin dryer for our wet bathing suits.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor overlooking the pool. It was fine for us - the view really didn't matt...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here for a three day weekend. Not as nice as other Westins we've stayed at. Rooms were suite-style but rather plain, however nice bathrooms and quiet. They charge $15/day for internet in the room and also charge if you use their computers in the lobby. You can go to Starbucks and get free internet or get a coupon from the front desk for free internet in the lobby on your own computer, but only for one hour. Only two elevators to the rooms and one elevator to parking--big design mistake--you'll probably wait for an elevator, especially during busy times of day. Staff was very nice but they forgot to make up our room--we needed to call to get that done. Good location--easy walk to Yaletown, Granville St, stadium and waterfront. Parking cost $26/day on the property.

1 Thank MIJZ
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stay in many hotels for work. Starwood is by far my favorite chain. The Westin Grand is my prefered hotel for personal stay in Vancouver because of the large rooms, great service and excellent location.
The thing I appreciate the most is that the staff is not expecting a tip. The genuinelly seem shocked when being tipped, and there is not even an option to add an additional one on a room service check.

Room Tip: Executive Floor is quiet, and a great view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bryce B, General Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear CanucksFan 154945,

Thank you for you comments regarding the staff here at the hotel, it means a lot when a frequent hotel traveller and a loyal Starwood guest recognizes the service in one particular location. We thank you for your loyalty and hope for a speedy return to the property.

Go Canucks go!! 2012/13 is the season we bring the cup to Vancouver!!

General Manager!
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

A Very nice hotel with an excellent service.The room are very nice with a dish washer (first time I saw one in my room). The location of this hotel was perfect, near everything (mall, restaurants, waterfront, etc).

Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

- Room 1203 made me sick
- Room decor and furnishings showing wear and neglect

My August stay was only my second at this hotel but it will be my last. Rooms are showing obvious signs of wear and neglect; furnishings appear outdated and in disrepair. Room 1203 left me with severe nasal congestion each morning. The staff was mostly up to Westin standards except for the lack of a response from the General Manager about my environmental concerns. Even with exceptional corporate rates, I would not stay here again, and I recommend that you look elsewhere.

I stayed in room 1203 on three consecutive nights; each morning I woke unable to breathe due to severe nasal congestion. Symptoms cleared up after leaving the room each day and after management moved me to room 1403 for my last night. I conjecture that either there was mold possibly from the bathroom, which exhibited obvious water damage (see picture) or that a previous guest had smoked something in the room that wasn't entirely cleaned up (see picture of plastic covered smoke detector).

A quick call to "Service Express" on the fourth day did result in a quick room change that did not create such symptoms. However, two weeks have elapsed since I e-mailed the General Manager with no response.

Outside of what I would hope is an isolated incident, the rooms generally appear worn and on the verge of being outdated:

- Lack of accessible electrical outlets especially around desk
- Very flimsy, poor quality task chair at desk
- No dresser in bedroom (interestingly built into the desk in the living room)
- Misaligned furniture doors
- Bathroom with water damage along frame shower

Simply put, this hotel does not deserve to be called "Grand," and it should be investigated by the relevant Canadian health authorities. And yes, it doesn't have enough elevators but that's been covered extensively by other reviewers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryce B, General Manager at Westin Grand Vancouver, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear shellzj,

Thank you for your comments regarding your room, I'm so sorry that your stay was not what it should have been. I do wish that you had contacted us after the first night instead of the fourth so that we could have moved you immediately, I never want a guest feeling uncomfortable when staying at the Grand. After you alerted the front desk our Engineering departments and Housekeeping departments did go through the room extensively and I can tell you that there was absolutely no mold present. We take the health and safety of our guests extremely seriously.

I apologize that I have not gotten back to you, responding to guests inquiries is one of my top priorities. I do not recall an email arriving to my inbox regarding this issue, I want to ensure that you sent the email to bryce.beatty@westingrandvancouver,com ? As you can see by the responses on Trip Advisor from me I would never let more than a day (let alone two weeks) go by before responding to a guests issue, especially one as serious as this, I welcome this type of direct communication.

If you could send me your information directly at the above email address, I would like the opportunity to discuss in greater depth.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The entire hotel only has suites so the rooms are all big, though the shapes are all kind of weird (I stayed in two different rooms) - I guess it's because of the curvy shape of the building. We liked the location, though it's quite far from the park, because it's close to where our friends live and all the shoppings.
The service was nice - I went there for my wedding and we were upgraded to a bigger suite on our 2nd day. They even gave us a nice bottle of champagne, a fruit basket, and a card.

The hotel itself needs a renovation bad. Several things in our room are broken already and the whole decor is not up to the Westin standard that I expected to get, but it's clean, and I like the big floor to ceiling window in my room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Chiaowers
Dear Chiaowers,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we had the opportunity to be your hotel of choice during your wedding!

I'm sorry that the room decor was not up to standard, we certainly work hard to maintain the quality of the room and all the fixtures and furnishings in it. However, I can telll you that we are currently working towards a complete room refurbishment that will begin this winter. I certainly hope that we can welcome you back (perhaps on your one-year anniversary?) where we can show off this new room design.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We came off a cruise ship and just needed a place ot unwind, uunpack, repack and get settled. Really nice hotel with all of the amenities. We had a small suite with a kitchenette. Right downtown so we were close to everything and could walk where we wanted to go.

Room Tip: high floor away from elevator is best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family