“Great location but could use some sound proofing.”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our birthday weekend. We wanted something near Stanley Park but not too far from the downtown core. Also, we got a good rate (less that $150 per night) at this place.
The hotel is located in a residential area about 5 blocks from the entrance to Stanley Park. Its also about 4 blocks to English Bay (?) which has a beach and boardwalk. It is part of a larger complex with a movie theater, grocery store, and drug store on the ground floor. There are tons of restaurants and cafes right there.
We stayed two nights in a 2 bedroom corner suite on the 29th floor. The views were amazing and the room was great, although a little dated. It had 1 3/4 bathrooms, a living room, 2 bedrooms, 2 balconies, a full kitchen (stove/oven, microwave, dishes, dish washer, a full sized fridge), and a large living room. The couch in the living room pulled out into a bed.
Drawbacks: We are pretty sure we heard the people above us using the bathroom. Icky! I thought $25 per night for parking was a little steep. We ordered breakfast from room service which wasn't too expensive, but wasn't very good. Even though everything else in the kitchen is full sized, the coffee pot was a little 4 cup'er. Also, the swimming pool is in the basement/parking garage. We didn't use it.
It should be noted that the owners of the property have applied to turn the hotel rooms into rental apartments and the conference rooms into office space. So, who knows how long it will remain a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLEwing

Reviewed November 13, 2010

My family and I stayed here for a few days and I must say I had a pleasant experience. There was constructions going on so that was the only downfall. Front desk staff for the most part were great, I dealt mostly with Dan and he was extremely helpful and went above and behind to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Also the bell staff were tremendous as they recommended some great restaurants! We will be coming back mostly because of the great location and first class service.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2010

After booking a 3 night stay with points and a suite win I was looking forward to a relaxing visit to Vancouver. First the good: I arriver really early and my room was ready and check in was very quick and front desk was extremely friendly (All staff were during my visit) The lobby is large with lots of room to sit and relax or read a paper with even a telly to view if you wished. I had 1 dinner and 1 breakfast in the restaurant and I found for the price breakfast was the better deal (But I had a kitchen in my room so I ate breakfast there 2x and cooked 1 dinner) I found better deals (Although fewer choices) in the bar. One night it was 30% off the pasta menu and the next night it was 30% off of everything including food and booze. The bar also seemed like a popular spot with locals to watch the hockey or football games. I never used parking so no comment on that. I got around on transit and that was VERY handy with busses basically 1/2 a block down the street to downtown. Buy a Day Pass at 7/11 for $9 good for all transit you wont go wrong. And it is in a quiet location and very near the beach as well. As far as local restaurants the area is filled with Thai places and lots of other ethnic choices not much for families, there is a Tim Hortons around the corner I discovered on my last night. And a milestones and The Boathouse is close by but exspensive. Great view of the city from my 22nd floor room.
Now the Bad: Yes the suites are next to the elevators and they do rummble all night long next to your headboard. The furniture does leave a lot to the immagination. Like a bright red couch that looked like it should be in someones dorm room not a hotel suite. The bed (A king) I found to be very comfortable but the bedroom could use a whole lot more light 2 little bedside lamps not enough for at night. The bathroom was small but very adiquate for what my needs were but I found in both the bathroom and the kitchen the water pressure was very poor. I was on the 22nd floor I hate to see it on the 35th floor. The kitchen is stocked fairly well with all the needed items for cooking but the fridge was very old and not very cold The stove was something out of the 70's but worked fine. Lots of room in the living rooms with a chair ,desk large round coffee table dining table with 2 chairs and a chair next to the couch. Older style CRT TV's in both the living room and a smaller one in the bedroom. In the bedroom was a kingbed, closet, 2 lamps on either side of the bed on end tables and a dresser with the TV on it. Nice touches are the nightly cookie and milk bedtime snack you order for free from room service, I also had a turndown service that included 2 bottles of water and 2 large mints. I also found it very hard to get any heat in the room I had the thermostat set to 80 deg. and was still chilly and discovered the heat reg. was only in the bedroom. So how do you heat the rest of the suite? And yes there is a portable A/C unit in the corner but being November I never used it. All in all This hotel could use a massive suite and room upgrade. I did feel safe and secure tho and the staff never disapointed was always friendly and great to talk to. Even with 500 girls there for some modeling conference going on. I never did use the pool but did go have a look and it is indoors in the basement but seemed to be well used and shared with the fitness center next door. The mall under the hotel (Denman Place is small but the grocery store is great and handy and well used by locals and cheap) has a Shoppers drugmart a grocery store and a wine store. There are a few banks and a 7/11 close buy so everything you need should be close buy. And yes if you can get by the elevator noise it is a very quiet place. My check out was very quick and friendly as well. And for those needing to know I travelled by bus so Cabfare from greyhound to the hotel is less than $15 each way.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank gunner116
Reviewed November 7, 2010

When we travel to the lower mainland, we stay at the Coast in Tsawwassen, however, my parents live near the Coast Plaza and we thought we'd give this hotel a try. With recommendation from Reservations, we booked in a 1 bedroom suite with my Coast Rewards and were looking forward to staying at the hotel due to it having a separate bedroom with a king sized bed. Our 4 year old daughter sleeps with us while we travel and it's nice if we can have a separate bedroom after she's gone to bed. To sum up: We will never stay at this hotel again and will book at the Coast Tsawwassen Inn in the future.

Saving grace for this stay was the service staff who were exceptional and the front desk staff very courteous and accommodating. They quickly reversed the parking ticket we received (we weren't supposed to be ticketed for a paid spot!). Parking was okay and be mindful if you need assistance with stairs as there is a set of stairs down to the hotel level after you've parked your car. Not an issue for us, but I am cognizant of accessibility issues and tend to notice these things. Parking is expensive (again, another plus for the Coast Tsawwassen as it's free there) at $25.00 per day.

Once we went into the room, I felt it was in desperate need of an upgrade, however, for the deal we got for the room ($119 per night), I was pleased with the space and layout. Kitchen was functional, if not a lot older in decor. The balcony was very nice to have, but when my 4 year old went outside, she found a large deposit of cigarette butts! ACK! When I went to go complain to the front desk (I do not normally fuss when I am in a hotel), I noticed the box spring on the mattress was HORRENDOUS. There was some kind of red stain on it and I was SO turned off. I realize it was likely a spilled glass of wine, but good grief... HIDE IT at least from view! We called the front desk and they moved us to another room immediately, which was very much the same as the previous one, however, clean balcony (and cleaner box spring). We were happy with how quiet it was from road noise and really enjoyed the city/water views from the balcony/windows. Then came night. My 4 year old and my husband will sleep through anything and I am usually pretty good, however, I could not sleep a wink in this room due to the noise from the elevator!!! Just as I'd drift off, that elevator would rumble and grind. It was not quiet in the slightest. I phoned the front desk around 2 AM after giving up trying to sleep and they apologized and explained that ALL the suites run beside the elevator shafts and that the elevator was particularly busy that night due to some teams checking in late. She did say that they'd get the elevator close to our room shut off for the rest of the night, but that it would resume at 6 AM. And it did. I managed about 3 hours sleep that night. Shame really, because the room was more than suitable. In the morning, the front desk moved us to a Jr. Suite that was removed from the elevator shaft and offered us to look at a 2 bedroom suite that was also removed from the elevators (thought all suites ran alongside the elevator???) and had a remarkable view from two balconies! Those two rooms were far more updated than the two we had been in. We settled on the Jr. Suite as the 2 bedroom would be much too much room for us. It was absolutely perfect and lovely. The beds were not that comfortable (two doubles, no king), but it was quiet. There wasn't a sep. bedroom, but the room was rather large with a sep. sitting area.

The pool was nice and hot tub decent, however, we were totally grossed out by someone's leftover, rather awfully stained, underwear right by the stairs to the hot tub.

One thing I didn't like was that we had to pay more money for the Jr. Suite; I felt the hotel should have absorbed that cost due to the fact that when I initially called to book the suite, I mentioned that it must be quiet and we didn't care if it was away from any views as long as we'd get a good night's rest. When I complained about the elevator noise, they said they'd had LOTS of complaints about that. Oh well, lessons learned.

We won't be back there again - for us, the Tsawwassen Inn wins hands down in price, amenities, and quality of room. Worth it, even with the drive!

Restaurant was exceptional. Food was more than delicious and proximity to the mall underground and popular Vancouver streets was excellent. I highly recommend eating breakfast at the restaurant or down the street at Milestones. Room service was good too and quick.

I do not think I'd recommend this hotel and the only reason my rating will be higher than it should is because the service was great and the location superb. I would NEVER book this hotel at its full price and even with our half-off room rates deal, I still feel we paid more than we should have.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed 5 nights at hotel. Found service extremely friendly and helpful. Comfort Room was spacious and clean and we appreciated the walk-out balcony. We used the concierge service several times and found this most informative and helpful. We had breakfast in The Brasserie every day and the food was exellent and good value. Waiting staff were very attentive. All in all, the hotel was great value for money, in a great location. We would definitely stay there again when visiting Vancouver.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Yearlytraveller_10
Reviewed October 31, 2010

The hotel needs a complete overall. The rooms have a smell, the tub and sink is left over from the 70s. The sheets are rough, the furniture needs replacing, etc. It's suppose to be a suite hotel, it is not. The room is slightly larger than normal, but still not a suite.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, it's connected to a mall, and the neighborhood is good for walking.

Avoid it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sspc
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Just before leaving for our holiday I had another look at reviews and some of the more recent ones had me a little worried.On arrival very pleasent check in and we had been upgraded to a suite ,as it was our 30th Wedding Anniversary.as some other reviews stated , room needed redecorating,very 80's and rather dark.we were at the back and high up, so overlooked buildings but felt good as no other tall buildings near.Plenty of room,lounge/ small kitchen area/decent size bedroom/small bathroom.All nice and clean .They still hadn't quite finished replacing windows but didn't bother us as they were below us,just mean't balcony was very dusty and you couldn't go out during the day but as we were out, didn't bother us.Breakfast was good,continental but plenty of it,mostly nice staff.we stayed 3 nights and then returned for 1 more, a week later ,this time upgraded to Superior ,same sort of decor but this time we overlooked the harbour which was really nice.I would say don't worry ,it's clean , just rather old fashioned decor and a little dark .Just don't let that spoil your time there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple