“Nice Hotel”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 1, 2006

First the negative: Small air conditioner in main living room inadequate, and there was none in the bedroom...since it was an unsual heat wave we ended up sleeping on the sofa in the living room for a couple of the nights. Helpful staff-they helped us get an all day bus pass to get about and helped in many other ways. Lots of great ethnic resaturants nearby (50 the guide book says)-some quite reasonable. Nice supermarket (and drug store and movie theatre) in a mall underneath the hotel. Not far from Stanley Park. Overall the hotel experiance was very nice...we had second thoughts though about Vancouver in general...probably 3 days is enough to see things, we had like 6 days and were running out of things to do. We even went to victoria one day, but we felt that was a waste of $.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Slocomb
There are newer reviews for Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites

Reviewed June 13, 2006

This was my second trip to Vancouver in 9 months...

I love the Coast. The room I was in faced English Bay. I had a great view. I think the room was recently renovated. I really had everything I needed there, including coffeepot. The front desk service was impeccable, The Bellmen were gracious and helpful. There is a large lobby downstairs, with comfy couches.

The lobby is beautiful....

Recommendations: In my opinion, anything that you might want, or need during your stay is within walking distance. The Doorman has an incredible knowledge of the area, and will recommend places to eat, etc. There is a mini-mall attached to the hotel, that includes a grocery store.... and a coffee and sandwich store.

Must stop at Cupcake. It is a few blocks from the coast. All they sell is cupcakes, but they are to die for. I tried their weekly special... which was strawberry kiwi with key lime icing... yum! Down Denman from there is Delaney's Coffee shop. Great coffee.... fun people watching... and great ambience. Down from there is Milestone. Chain restaurant, but I have had their chicken portabello... and it is worth it!!!!

Also, at the hotel, watch out for Stanley. The bellmen feed the squirrels bags of hazelnuts every year. The squirrels... (all of them named Stanley, of course) come up and "squirrel away" their treasures... Stop groaning, you could see that one coming!!!! I spent a good half hour watching the squirrels!

Very nice stay, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank tribble300
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Loved it, not only the hotel but Vancouver itself. The location of the hotel was real handy for Stanley Park which is gorgeous and well worth several visits (we went 4 times during the week we were there) and also for alot of eating places and of course the shopping!!! If you are looking for somewhere to eat then I recommend Milestone's which is just around the corner from the hotel and the staff there are excellent. We only had breakfast in the hotel but it is served from 8am to 11am which allowed a morning swim and spa in the very quiet hotel pool. Breakfast really will last you until dinner, they don't believe in scrimping. Our room had a rear view and to be honest I didn't think of asking to be moved, and it allowed us to watch all the behind the scene activities that go on around the back streets of the city. I would love to go back, and if I do then I would definately be staying at the Coast Plaza again and a higher level would be requested on arrival. All I can say is GO!! experience it for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2006
11  Thank Scots_lass67
A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed April 22, 2006

After a terrible experience at the Century Plaza Hotel in Vancouver, we were set to cancel our romantic weekend and go back home. (If you are considering the Century Plaza, please read my review as it was by far the worse hotel experience I have ever had). A friend took me to the Coast, saying she had a good experience there in the past, and we went to the front counter. What a difference from the last hotel! The people at the desk were kind and friendly, and my friend explained to them what had happened to us and the service we had received. They were appalled, and went out of their way in every way to make us feel better.
They booked us in for the two nights, and gave us a discount because I was so worried about money (having lost my other night's payment at the other hotel because they would not refund me) which I know they absolutely didn't have to do. The second night we were there, they booked us into a Jacuzzi suite, which was AMAZING!
The gave us vouchers for a free breakfast, which was served to us in our rooms and was a real breakfast that was *delicious* and also some free drinks in their bar/restaurant.
I cannot say enough for the desk staff, who made me feel so much better when I was near tears thinking that my anniversary weekend with my spouse had been ruined. She even gave me a little felt flower to "make me feel better". :-)
The rooms were lovely. They were very clean, and the beds were so comfortable! Even the first night was so enjoyable! Between 6-9 they deliver free cookies and milk to your room, for the "comforts of home". The second night, in the Jacuzzi suite, WOW! Really, wow! The bed was huge, and extremely comfortable, the view over Vancouver city and the water was GORGEOUS and then there was the jacuzzi... Fit two people perfectly to sit and cuddle and watch the city at night time. It was so romantic and lovely, I wish I was still in there!
We were also leaving the hotel on the day of the "Sun Run" in Vancouver, where several streets are closed due to the runners. The front desk staff was very helpful in giving us alternate routes to get home, and it ended up being a breeze!
We were also impressed that they have dog friendly rooms, as we often travel with our dog and the hotel was still very quiet, and clean.

I am so very glad that I was recommended the hotel, it made our weekend just perfect. All the bad feelings I had when I walked in quickly melted away because of the warm reception and lovely facilities.
The location is very nice as well, we spent all day Saturday walking along Denman and Robson Street where you can find anything you want, really.

• Stayed: April 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2006

Normally travelling alone on business, in this instance, I travelled with my Wife and two children to Vancouver.

This hotel was, overall, excellent in terms of staff service, room and location- equating overall with excellent value for money.

First of all the service - our room was upgraded two levels on check-in when I asked for a rooom on a higher floor with a good view and wireless net access. So instead of a one bedroom suite, we were given a two bedroom corner suite with fabulous ocean and mountain views. Though the decor in the room is rather dated, it was huge (over 600 square feet) - and, with a family, space is better than a new desk in my view. There were many nice touches - staff remembered our children's names (Jenny in particular) and gave them toys on arrival. Nothing was too much trouble. Maids brought chocolates and water every evening - which was a nice touch.

The location was good, close to a main shopping and restuarant distict. A grocery store in the mall below will cater for your everyday food needs. The kitchen in the rooms have the necessitites. And the price was very good - I paid around $C135 for our suite per night.

Overall, the quality of the staff here was better than I have had in many more expensive and supposedly higher status hotels. The staff really are an asset to the company - and I am sure that with a family, you would be delighted with this great hotel.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from Stanley Park and about 15 minutes walk from Downtown.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
18  Thank amc48c
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 5, 2006

If you can get a high floor suite facing the water then you won't be disappointed. Unless you are looking for an immaculate and refined looking room. I wasn't, and I loved it.

The rooms are big, but everything is old and a little shabby. A/C is close to non-existent. But for the price, if it ain't sweltering - it's a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2006

On entering room was very impressed with the size and facilities- not sure about the summer months, as there was a free standing A/C unit. Rather dated , but clean.
The lobby and seating areas seemed to have been refurbished recently- new looking carpets etc. Outside there were plenty of eating places and small cafes, from different cultures. All in all quite pleasant.A few down and outs, but that happens in all cities.
The biggest shock came when we were in the long bar and grill having a drink, when a mouse ran across the floor. When asked by a waiter what all the fuss was about he replied "a mouse. we can't get rid of them" Needless to say the meal we had booked for New years Eve was cancelled and we went to the Boathouse.Whilst this did a very good steak, I cannot offer rave reviews about the cooking. A steak is a steak after all. Nice views over the harbour however.

• Stayed: December 2005