“Good Value, Good Location, Clean and Solid.”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“Good Value, Good Location, Clean and Solid.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

I booked my room last minute through an engine where you don't know the hotel until you pay for it (you know which one I mean). A frequent visitor to Vancouver, I had never stayed here before and was completely pleased have paid less than seventy five USD. It is in the far west end of the West End, nearest to Stanley Park. Walking distance to Robson, Davie, the Park and waterfront, but a stretch to Granville, Yaletown, etc. Situated in a residential (condo/apt) area of the West End, it was particularly quiet and tranquil. Being a concrete and steel highrise, it was even more so quiet.

The check in was fast, friendly and efficient. The room was large (500sft), and provided two queen beds, a kitchen, full bath, seating area, and walk-out balcony. All furnishing were solid and clean, but certainly dated. I don't mind the age, as long as it is clean and works. The free WiFi did not perform well.

I perused the pictures of other guests on here, and my room was similar to everyone else's.

All in all, a great value and good place especially if under seventy five bucks in winter, and one twenty five in summer.

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

Stayed here for a week and found everything top notch, the food was good in the restaurant, and the rooms were more than adequate.

Nice to have a shopping mall underneath the place, accessible via the lifts...

Very close to English Bay, if you fancy a walk around and with lots of nice stores within easy walking distance.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Nelson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

We ended up transferring from the seedy Airport Coast hotel to the Coast Plaza.

The customer service was out standing; in light of our encounter at the seedy Airport Coast they gave us a discounted rate and paid for the taxi transport.
The room service was fast and courteous; our food was prompt, fresh and always hot!

The hotel is very dated, as are the rooms. There may have been renovation, but you could tell the hotel was still old.
We did hear the elevators running all night… we will choose another room location next time.

This is not by any means a five star hotel. But the location is great; close to down town.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

The Coast Plaza was originally built in 1969 as an apartment block (I looked this up after sitting in the room trying to date the furnishings). It shows in the size of the rooms, which are quite large - mine had 3 closets and a kitchen with a fridge and microwave. The decor was very dated, although it was in surprisingly good condition for its apparent age. The bathroom had dated beige ceramics and a basket of small hotel size toiletries but also four jumbo size dispensers of the same liquids, which gave a somewhat downmarket impression. The hotel was deserted when I arrived yet the doorman stood idly by, watching me unload three bags from my car. However, the hotel let me check in early at midday (normal check in time is 3pm) which was useful. The hotel is in a quieter part of downtown, in a residential area above a fairly low end shopping mall. Location wise it is close to English Bay and Stanley Park but further from the main shopping area and entertainment district.

If I had paid full rate I would have been disappointed, but for the rate I paid I was satisfied - but nevertheless pleased to move out to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

Clean and very central if you want easy access to one of the best areas in downtown that combines restaurant variety, beach and park access. The decor needs an update, especially bathrooms but if they were updated the hotel would probably charge a lot more considering its location. It is great value for the money. Has a gym access agreement with neighbouring private gym, so effectively has one of the best equipped gyms ever seen by my uncle, who is a regular business traveller.

Stayed June 2008
d2_mcgill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2008

My experience was so disappointing I'm not even sure I have the vocabulary to accurately depict how sub-standard this hotel actually was! (But I’ll try) I was staying in one of the most expensive rooms at $329.00 per night, for 7 nights. I won’t even go into detail about how out dated the rooms are, suffice to say their website photos are VERY misleading! (For a true perspective, I have added my own pictures of the room.)

The majority of my outrage comes from the lack lustre, rude staff... I’ll start with the security guys. On my first night I was waiting for my fiancée on a sofa in the upper lobby. We were just returning from a late dinner and she needed to stop at the drug store in the mall next door. As she had the room key I was forced to wait in the lobby for her (the elevators only work if you have a room key after midnight). I am a 30yr old business man who was nicely dressed sitting quietly on a sofa using my blackberry when a security officer shouted at me from a distance “Hey! Are you staying at this hotel?!?!?” I nodded, as I was not about to yell back. He then came marching over and demanded to see my room key as proof. As I mentioned I was waiting for my Fiancée who was carrying the key, thus I was unable to produce it. This brilliant security individual made no attempt confirm that I was a guest by contacting the front desk or even asking me my name and room number... he just ORDERED me to vacate the PREMISSIS!!! Shocked to the point of disbelief , I went outside to wait. The next night (night 2 of 7) I was in the pool changing room having a shower after my swim. It was just about 10pm (the pool closes at 10), and a security officer (different from the night before) in the most arrogant, rude tone comes in and shouts something to the affect of “Hey pal, pools closed, lets go!!” As for the rest of the staff, the only one that showed even a shred of customer service was sweet heart that cleaned our very disappointing room. I have only mentioned a few things from a long list of my utterly poor dealings during my stay. Needless to say, I strongly recommend avoiding this dive at all costs!!!

• Liked — Proximity to downtown
  • Disliked — Terrible staff and outdated decor
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank d2_mcgill
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Loved this place. It was perfect for our family wishing to sight see, go to the beach, shopping, cycling in Stanley Park, the harbour etc. Super staff especially at breakfast. Yes, the room was a little dated but very comfortable and excellent value. Would stay there again.

• Liked — size of the suite
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)