“Nice updates”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a few years ago and while I enjoyed the room, it was in need of a cosmetic upgrade. Which it looks like they've done. It was a nice room... And much more spacious then the price would usually get you.

I love that it is so near the shopping and restaurants. Just walking a few blocks will take me to restaurants from every continent except Antarctica.

It is also close to the shore and Stanley Park.

Would happily return here a third time.

• Stayed: June 2013
Brian R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear PaddyGil23:

Thank you very much for the review. It is great that on your return and second visit that you were able to see noticable updates to the room. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Here is my summary of the pro and cons of our stay at this property.

Pros:
1. The location is great. Traffic in Vancouver was a bit stressful for us, so it was great that you could walk to Stanley Park and great restaurants without getting in the car. There is also a grocery store in the shopping mall next door.
2. Staff. Every experience we had with the staff was positive, even when they made a mistake and ticketed our car in the garage. The issue was resolved in about two minutes.
3. Size of rooms. This trip was a family vacation and with four of us, it was good to have enough space to do our own thing after a day of activities.

Cons:
1. The interior of our room was very dated. The carpet appeared old and the walls need either new wall paper or fresh paint.
2. The kitchen. It was good to have a kitchen as it allowed us to skip breakfast out. However, the kitchen wasn't very clean and the white cabinets and appliances showed dirt and stains.

Overall, I have told people that this hotel is fine and I will consider staying the next time I am in Vancouver but I will consider my options as well. If they update the rooms, the decision to stay here again would be easy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SadiesPal

Dear SadiesPal:

Thank you very much for your review of our property. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our great location, wonderful staff and generous room sizes. I am sorry to hear that you found the rooms outdated, but was deeply saddened to hear of the cleanliness of the kitchen. This is simply not acceptable. I would love to research this further with your assistance, so if you could please reach out to me at b.rohl@coasthotels.com, I would appreciate it.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very good hotel esp location near from Stanley park downtown lots of good resturants beds are good rooms in general are ok the rate is reasonable staff are great very helpful the shower was
Not working right but has been fixed immed. So I appreciate the service

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Raafat245:

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our great location close to Stanley Park and lots of great restaurants. I am also pleased to hear you enjoyed our beds and that our maintenance ambassadors we able to fix your shower issue quickly.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel for the Fleetwood Mac concert. Upon arrival I was informed that the hotel was fully booked and that they would have to upgrade me to a full suite, no charge. You can imagine how disappointed this made me, lol. The rooms are very comfortable. The bed was more comfortable than the one I have at home. This is not the first time I've stayed here nor will it be the last. Another great stay, thanks!

Room Tip: Try for the water view, it's so beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank volvogirl2016

Dear volvogirl07:

Thank you for the review. I was so excited to hear that we could make your Fleetwood Mac experience more exciting. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Operations.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The ONLY reason it doesn't deserve a "Terrible" rating is it's location in a quaint neighborhood just a few minutes from both, downtown and Stanley Park.

The place is okay bit a bit of a nightmare and, not cheap by any means.

Here's the low down on the run down Coast Plaza: They may hold the record for awkwardly tiny and dysfunctional elevators, ridiculously slow (but free) wifi, someone else's hair on the vintage early 80's sofa (GROSS) an old, worn out AC unit that didn't work (and awkwardly placed in the corner?), a peculiar lack of electrical outlets and an odor akin to an old folks home were just the starters. The beds were decent, the room spacious and very small en-suite was clean but, the overall experience is pretty bad given the persistent "housekeeping" right at 8am, the desperate need of a remodel and the bogus parking ticket, despite paying for parking (other reviewers--American license plates is my guess--have noted this as well. It's a trend, not an anomaly.) and, whilst kind, basically useless front desk staff.

The front desk staff are exceedingly nice but, the place is a bit of a scam. When we checked in, we were graciously informed that, while our room was on a lower floor, we had been upgraded to a one-bedroom suite (precisely what we originally booked). I guess this rouse was because I asked nicely about a room on a higher floor, away from the elevator. Speaking of Elevators, yep, we were upgraded to a room conveniently located NEXT to the elevator on an otherwise empty floor.

Now, I know, being American and a frequent traveler, my expectations can be high but...this place is the antithesis of easy or effortless and, the final blow with the traffic ticket scam (moments after paying $50 in parking fees) is too much for me. The only recourse we have as consumers are sites like this one and, honest reviews. This place blows, don't stay there.

Room Tip: Go high or don't go.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PShankel
Brian R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear PShankel:

Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed that your room was not what you expected - I was also extremely disappointed to hear that it wasn't cleaned properly. I can assure you that this is not something I take lightly, and will be following up with the appropriate departments. I am also very concerned with the troubles you experienced with the parking ticket. This is simply not acceptable and I am following up immediately with our service provider. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel may have been luxurious back in the 70's, however it has been stuck there ever since. It's old, old, old, old and unlike a vintage wine it hasn't gotten better with time. The ventilation is horrible. There was a standing air conditioner in the corner that did a really good job of cooling off the chair next to it while the rest of the room was miserably warm and humid.

To make matters worse the staff was marginal at best. It started out with the receptionist informing us we had been "upgraded" to the 11th floor (the rooms begin on the 8th so we were on one of the lowest floors), next to the elevator to the exact room type we reserved. When we requested a higher room, we were told about the "complimentary upgrade" we had already received.

The housekeeper woke us up every morning at 8 am to clean our room. While I do appreciate their desire to service my room, I appreciate my ability to sleep in on vacation even more. Once is forgivable. More than once isn't.

The final dagger came when we noticed the parking ticket in the window of our car when we were leaving the parking garage they had told us to park in and charged us $25/night to park in. Apparently the hotel/city parking authority can't figure out how to work with one another.

For the prices this place charges you would expect, clean, modern facilities with and attentive and competent staff. This hotel offers neither. It's old and reminded me more of a Best Western or Ramada type hotel, but charging full-service Marriott prices.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JWMillertyme

Dear JWMillertyme:

Thank you very much for your comments. I sincerely regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our great team of ambassadors and it appears that failed to impress that upon you this visit. I regret this. The eagerness of our housekeeping team is also not acceptable and I will ensure my director of housekeeping reevaluates our scheduling to avoid this happening in the future. I am also investigating the parking ticket situation that you were subjected to. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in June at the Coast Plaza. This is a gem - yes, it's not the newest kid on the block but it's well cared for, there have been some changes, and it feels like you've arrived to stay with friends. Rooms are spacious - usually with a kitchenette. Views are plentiful. The staff doesn't seem to change much and I think that's a good thing as they are all so friendly. The restaurant is pretty good but if you don't find what you want there, the Coast Plaza is close to a lot of options. The lounge has a server, Marilynn (?), who has been there ages and if a couple of years go by between your visits, she'll still recall something about you. That's how good she is !

I know there are many newer options, even in the Coast chain, but this is my #1 pick in Vancouver!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear holidaybound1212:

Thank you very much for your flattering review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and our wonderful ambassadors. It is great that we are your number one choice in Vancouver and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director or Operations