“Outdated Yet Pleasant”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Irvine, California
“Outdated Yet Pleasant”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I got a great deal on this "4-star" hotel (per the different travel websites I researched this hotel on) through my credit card company. I would say this is a 3-star hotel disguised as 4-star. Since it's a small hotel (why pay for a larger hotel that will be just as average?) and the service was good, so I will bump my true 3.5 rating to a 4.

I booked a Museum room since it was on the highest floor (there are only 6 floors). I was told that there was no size difference between this type and the mid-priced room -- the only difference is the art in the room.

Let me start with the bad:
- Room was decent, not spectacular. You could tell that it is an old hotel that had some sort of makeover. Had I not gotten a great deal, I would've been highly disappointed. The TV was a 25" or so tube TV. The TV armoire looked like it was taken from the alley outside our room and refurbished.
- Bathroom is not for those afraid of the dark! The light illuminates the commode. However, when you get into the shower and close the curtain, it's lights out! Kinda scary the first time, but I guess you get used to it. I was just hoping Norman Bates wouldn't be waiting for me.
- One of the selling points on their site is that their windows open - Yeah, that's nice. However, our room was facing the alley, so when trash day rolled around, you would wish they'd have thicker windows that *didn't* open.
- Their other selling point is included Wi-Fi. The connection was pretty crappy at best. In that regard, I'd rather pay $15 or whatever other hotels charge to get a good connection.
- A/C unit is loud. It's also manually controlled (not digital), so you cannot set it to reach a certain temperature before it turns off. You either keep it on and tolerate the humming throughout the night or turn it off.
- The lamps that come out of the wall were about ready to fall off. They reminded me of a teeter totter.

And now the good:
- Bed and pillow are pretty comfy! I wasn't a fan of the bed coverings, though. They made me think this is what a jail bed would feel like.
- Large (yet mirrored) closet. I was able to put my suitcases in there and keep them out of the way.
- Location was great! It is surrounded by many different places to eat. If you go further east on Robson, there are plenty of places to shop. We also did walk to Stanley Park from the hotel. We didn't have a car, so that made the location perfect. If we couldn't get to a place on foot (i.e., Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain), the SkyTrain and bus stops were not far at all.

If you're looking for a decent, no frills (e.g., swimming pool that you're paying for but not going to use) hotel that's within walking distance to shopping, dining and leisure, then this is a great place and I would recommend it. If you're looking for high-class, fancy schmancy, then keep looking.

Room Tip: Go for the Museum room if you want to be on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We booked on Hotwire for a great deal, we were happy with the price and location however we got there to find out parking would be 50 ++ dollars !!! for one night! Are you kidding , thats half the room price! The Front desk attendent than explained there was no pay parking around and we would need to pay and just park at the hotel, my boyfriend found overnight parking for $ 15 dollars across the street . Front desk was very short and cold. Dont let the pictures fool you, the lobby is the only thing they keep up to date with modern decor everything else needs a reno! -1 star .We will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tsawwassen-Jim, General Manager at The Listel Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. Parking is not inexpensive in Vancouver, or any other major city for that matter. The hotel does not charge $50.00 plus taxes per night for parking; however the hotel does charge $26.00 + tax ($35.23 total). Taxes on parking throughout the city are very expensive...but at least the tax on parking is used to pay for a great public transit system. I will add that for the price of parking the hotel provides a gated parking lot and valet services at no additional charge. Although the crime rate in Vancouver is quite low property crime, particularly vehicular break-in is a problem in many parking lots... but because of our gated lot and valet service it is not a problem at this hotel.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Listel is a smaller hotel in a nice section of Robson. It is a refreshing break from large chain, impersonal hotels. The staff are great, the room is fine, and near-by shopping and dining meets most needs. I was impressed by the professionalism of front desk, room service, and hospitality of housekeeping. I will definitely stay here again. Oh yeah, free wi-fi, and other business amenities. Wow.

Room Tip: Take a room on the Gallery Floor and enjoy fresh, French pressed coffee, delivered each morning!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeVictWW
Thank you very much for your kind comments, we do have a super good location... and a great staff, thanks for noticing! With regards to Internet access, we do include both wired and wireless access, plus free long distance calling within North America and many other business services in our fees. And yes, I agree, the Gallery Floor option is a good one as it includes the morning French Press coffee service or specialty tea offerings.
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I stayed at this property 10 years ago when it was newly renovated. This time it is showing wear. Love the location on Robson Street. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were well appointed with "green" initiatives. The beds need work. I will be back within the next ten years to see if things get updated.

Room Tip: Request a high floor (odd numbered rooms) so you can see the water from your window between building...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed here as our travel agent assured us this was the "nouveau" place to stay. We had just left The Empress Fairmount in Victoria and was probably spoiled, however, the Listel offered none of the charm we were hoping for. We were told we were upgraded to the "museum floor". Apparently this meant we had more mediocre artwork to view. The room was quite "green" and by that I meant, they used the environment as an excuse to offer no amenities.
We wandered down to the lobby to ask the concierge for a restaurant recommendation. He threw out about 17 names. Now this is about as valuable as throwing out none. So now we have it narrowed from 20 to 17, and unfortunately we chose one of the 20 that shouldn't have been on his list. He suggested a very upscale chinese restaurant in the area, where we had a very expensive poor meal. At least, the manager noting my wife ate none of her meal took it off our bill. Perhaps Canadian Asian food does not fit our palate?
Anyway, Considering the price of the hotel, I would surely expect better than average. Wish we had stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bard L
Thank you for your comment, I'm not certain what was meant by nouveau, our hotel is 26 years old and has been offering a good product at a good price for all of those years. That said, our hotel is definitely not a Fairmont, not in size, not in style, not in philosophy and certainly not in price. We do though offer a good quality, customer focused, small hotel experience at a reasonable price. We do have a great art collection throughout the hotel (that not everyone appreciates... but so be it). Vancouver is a very International city, with that comes very authentic foods, what has been referred to as "Canadian Chinese” food is more likely authentic Asian cuisine I'm sorry that this guest didn't like it. As far as our sustainability programs go, we are recognized leaders in our industry, and we are proud to be... and yes that means reducing waste. We realized a few years ago that we were going through about 45,000 small bottles of shampoo and lotion each year with the empty bottles destined for landfill... so we stopped we now provide the same level of excellent product through in-room pump dispensers. This amongst many other environmental initiatives in play at the hotel.
Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights on a trip with work. The place is clean and tidy.

I found the front desk staff a little short but the housekeepers were very friendly.
Very good location but with some terrible artwork hung in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over Robson st. Depending on the room you might see the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank roremc
Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The hotel was clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The view was nice. The walk to the convention center was long, especially with elevation changes and crowds. I could not find any shuttles, other than from airport. The wifi was useless. Could not stay connected. Ended up heading across to Starbucks any time I needed it. Very convenient to rent bikes and ride along sea wall. Close to shopping, but mostly tourist-trap kind of shopping. There is no real character to the area.

Room Tip: I liked the view from the Gallery Floor. I did find it annoying to use a key in the elevator to get...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business