“Clean, quiet, excellent staff”

The Listel Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #24 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Perth, Australia
“Clean, quiet, excellent staff”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The Listel is reasonably central although a bit of a hike to the cruise ship terminal or railway stations if you have luggage, although we managed ok even with me being 6 1/2 months pregnant. The staff at the Listel have been brilliant on the two separate occasions we stayed, even upgrading our room free of charge when we arrived very early on our second visit. The rooms are fine, not fabulous, but clean, well appointed and quiet. I noticed some basic wear in both rooms we used, but the beds were comfy and the showers hot and good. There is a great restaurant, O'Doul's, downstairs for breakfast (not included in the price of the room) and the hotel was also taking part in a city-wide art exhibition when we visited Vancouver which in my view enhanced the hotel's standing and increased the interest while waiting in the foyer at various times. A charming hotel.

Room Tip: Both times our rooms faced either the back or side streets, possibly avoiding any noise coming from...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wecantravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is not the first time I´m in Vancouver and also it´s not the first time I´m in this hotel.
Though the value of this hotel is high, the rooms start to be outdated both the decoration and the bathroom. What once was almost a boutique hotel with modern art all over the hallways and fancy features today is a good example about how to improve service without spend a dime on updating.
I booked this time through Expedia and maybe for that reason I wasn´t so lucky to get free wine and appetizers as other reviewers below say. All I got as a fridge was an empty space with some wires on the floor and an empty plug. Very sad as I run the marathon the last weekend and I expected to have some juices and food waiting in my room.
Staff very helpful and friendly indeed. Robson Street is very nice but it´s something you can get for free even if you´re hosted in a different hotel :-)
Next time I´ll explore other options for my getaways to the beautiful Vancouver.

Room Tip: Those that face Robson Street may be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marchador
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The location is perfect, Valet parking is making it very easy. The room was very nice decorated and clean and included free local and long distance calling and wireless internet. The breakfast at the O'Douls was fantastic Belgische Waffle with lots of fruits hmmmmmm.
Life music at night and very friendly service. When we checked out and got into our car we found two nicely wrapped homemade cookies on the dash with a thank you note in my car. A very nice touch and something you don't find very often.
We found an Apartment that weekend and will move to Vancouver this summer. Yippee I love Vancouver

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Margaretehca
Regina, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Listel Hotel in Vancouver. They offer valet parking for $26 / day, which was fantastic. We would call for our car and it was ready to go in a matter of a few minutes. The room was very well appointed, clean, great mini bar and snacks, free local and long distance calling, bath robes for both of us supplied. Local shopping on Robson Street was awesome.
Our room deal included 2 glasses of wine and an appy downstairs at O'Douls.....we ate supper there ( very good food) and we had drinks and appys another night while listening to live music.
On check out day, our bill was left under our door. We called for our car and found it parked out front with homemade cookies and a thank you note on the dash.....very nice touch! The front desk staff were always very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be staying at the Listel again next time we travel to Vancouver!

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I would strongly recommend this smaller, but excellent hotel to people going to Vancouver. The location is well placed with easy access to shopping, Stanley Park, Granville Island, seabus to North Vancouver, etc. Not far off the Canada Line (light rail) from the airport. Value was very good with nice, quiet, clean rooms and included appetizers and 2 glasses of wine, which would be expensive in Canada. But the very best part of our stay was the front desk staff (and restaurant staff to a lesser degree) were outstanding in being helpful, patient and friendly. They can tell you how to get to any pub or attraction, exactly where to catch the bus, how much it'll cost, whether you need exact change, etc. They will provide you a map and mark where you are going and where to catch transportation. Very pleasant folks, I was very impressed.
Only draw-back was there was no jacuzzi - after a long day of walking on hard pavement, it would have been a perfect finish to take a nice soak.

Room Tip: I'm sure if you spring for the extra price the top floor is probably best, but our room (3rd flo...
2 Thank Robert W
Studio City
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We arrived before noon for a three night stay....room was not ready yet, but our bags were stored until we returned in the afternoon. The room was so, so nice with a view between the tall buildings in front to the harbor....very light and airy with beautiful First Nation art on the walls and quiet! By the way, free internet and phone calls.....yes, hard to believe, but true, and the room rate was very competitive to other hotels. We ate in the restaurant, downstairs, and the food, service and space were very much to our liking and artistically presented, too......not inexpensive, but in comparison to other eateries we tried, it was better. We learned how to use public transportation after the second day and it was very easy to get around by bus, sky tram (Subway), and sea bus......public transportation is reasonable....not to mention, so much is within walking distance. It is a hotel I remember from years ago which has been remodeled to a "boutique hotel " with artistic style with wonderful art in the rooms and public areas and an equally wonderful and helpful staff that the owners should be proud to have on board. We plan to stay here, again, next year when we visit Vancouver.

Room Tip: Personally, I like rooms in the front of hotels, high up, high in this hotel is the six floor, but f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob67StudioCity
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The hotel is in a great location - to find every type of store imaginable you don't have to walk more than two blocks. The service was excellent with a nice looking lobby, valet parking (although quite expensive at $35 after taxes), and very friendly staff. We also enjoyed the complimentary wine service for guests - it was a nice touch. If the entire hotel was like the lobby the experience would have been great.

When we got to the room ("Gallery Room") things started to look less modern. The TV looked great (didn't use it though) and had inputs for everything within easy reach for plugging in a camera, game system, etc. The beds were comfy but made a fair bit of noise sometimes. The 'bench' that was built in to the back wall looked like it was from the eighties, as did the carpet. Pictures on travel sites show modern looking rooms - which is why I booked the property - but the room we got was of the 'older' variety. The bathroom was the split kind with a sink outside and the toilet/shower in a separate room. This reminded me of a cheap hotel I stayed at years ago and didn't look impressive. Both the sink and the counter around it were tiny, although it was nicely appointed. The hair dryer blew air that could only be described as warm, and was therefore nearly useless. The actual bathroom looked as though it was stuck in time. The single light above the toilet did a poor job of lighting the room and when turning on the fan it sounded like an old diesel truck. When using the shower it was necessary to keep the curtain partially open since closing it entirely made it eerily dark. If I was claustrophobic the bathroom would have been a big issue for me.

The Listel is listed as a four-star hotel, but I've stayed at many three star hotels which didn't have such a fancy lobby but had (in my opinion) nicer rooms with more modern amenities and spacious layouts. I understand that space is expensive in Vancouver, but it would have taken no more space to use the layout shown in the pictures on various travel websites (open concept with dual-sink washroom) instead of the cramped, dated room that we ended up in.

Pros:
- Location
- Great Staff
- Free wine reception
- Quiet rooms

Negatives:
- No self-parking option
- Room felt dated
- Mandatory 'facility and eco' fee

I would stay here again but it would not be a first choice.

1 Thank Eye4Adventure
Tsawwassen-Jim, General Manager at The Listel Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
My thanks to this guest for taking the time to pass along comments of a past stay.

The accommodation selected for this stay was a Gallery Room these rooms are classic in design with dark mahogany woods, warm rich fabrics and a more traditional overall feel to both the decor and the art in the rooms. Another option would have been one of our Museum Rooms, although the same size and general layout these tend to have a “lighter” more modern feel; the two room types are quite different in design style, but I would suggest are equally favoured by people depending on their personal taste in décor.

The bathrooms in many of our rooms do have a sink/water-closet type of set-up this allows for one person to use the toilet or shower facility in privacy while another person could use the sink and make-up area located next to the water-closet. As noted the area containing the shower and toilet is not large, but certainly large enough for the standard size tub and typical toilet.

I am happy to read that the reviewer was pleased with the hotel’s location, our wonderful staff and other features of the property. As noted by the reviewer, we do not offer a “self-park” option, although Vancouver is generally a safe city from a personal security stand-point, property crime can be an issue. Several years ago we made the choice to tightly control access to the hotel’s parking area this decision has allowed us to eliminate vehicular break-ins to our guests’ vehicles. The facility/eco fee noted is a charge of 4.7% on top of the room rate this allows for the following benefits at no additional charge:
Internet access (both wired or wireless);
Unlimited local telephone calls;
Unlimited long distance calls within Canada and the USA;
Unlimited faxes;
Black & white photocopying (to a maximum of 100 sheets per day);
Computer kiosk with printer, Internet access and Microsoft Office applications;
Zero waste to landfill disposal (all waste disposed of in an ecologically responsible manner);
Morning newspaper (available upon request);
Fitness Centre in-house and/or access to Steve Nash Fitness World Express (three blocks from Hotel).