“Absolutely loved it!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Absolutely loved it!”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Listel was great in so many ways.

Location-wise, it was perfect - very close to everything we wanted to do and a short bus ride from several other attractions.

We also enjoyed the ambience of the place - very modern, but comfortable, public and private spaces. Art was everywhere and added a novel touch to our experience.

The staff was both friendly and professional and the hotel was spotless.

O'Doul's, the attached restaurant, was reasonably priced and served quality food. Live jazz was also available in the evenings - a real plus.

We would absolutely return to this place! Had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Winnipeg
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This little hotel is a hidden gem. Attended a business meeting right in the hotel and stayed just the 1 night but will be back. 10 minute walk to the Fish House in Stanley Park (best fish restaurant EVER) and shopped my way all the way to Pacific Centre and back. Desk staff are very accommodating. If you put out a card they bring up fresh french press coffee service to your room in the morning - heavenly taste - way better than those 4 cup coffee makers!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Great room, very quiet despite the fact that the Jazz Festival was going on downstairs.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Given the positive reviews here on Trip Advisor, my expectatons for the Listel Hotel may have been set a bit high. The decor of this hotel is fairly dated and our room was dark. However, the staff was really friendly. The hotel does offer 3 major perks 1) the central location 2) Free long distance calling to the US 3) Free wireless. I debated between 3 stars and 4, but the free wireless and calling is pretty helpful so I went with the higher review.

The long distance calling definitely came in handy as I was here over Father's Day weekend with my Dad thousands of miles away. It was great to be able to have a long chat with him, minus long distance roaming fees on my cell.

Overall, we stayed here through a Groupon deal and I wouldn't have wanted to pay more than the deal price we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Glendora, California
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We really were expecting an exceptional hotel, especially after all the good reviews. It's a typical hotel room. There are art galleries downstairs, but that is the only thing that makes this hotel stand out. The Pro's of this hotel is the location. It's close to all the shops on Robson street, a 10 min walk to the Sky Train, Sea Bus, and Stanley park. Also the lobby staff was always very helpful.

The bad part of the hotel is the smell. It had a weird stench, like covered up smoking air freshener. Also there was not enough counter space in the bathroom. It was very noisy. You have the street noise, as well as the air conditioner noise. And I don't think it really matters what floor you are on. It's just a busy part of town with very loud air conditioners. We used the fitness center, which also had a weird stench to it. I can't get the stench out of my mind. And one of the elevators was out of service which was very annoying. There was not even a stairwell that we could use. I forgot to mention the terrible beds. They were so old. You could feel the springs on your back. And the bed skirt was falling off, and you could see just how old the mattress was. It looked pretty worn.

All in all, I would not stay here again unless it was a really good deal, and there were no other options available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tsawwassen-Jim, General Manager at The Listel Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you for your review, and thanks for noticing our great comments on TripAdvisor! I'm sorry if your expectations weren't met, but keep in mind that the comments posted are from past guests, some who clearly enjoyed their experiences at the hotel and felt compelled to tell others, often as you note, they found us to be well located in the city with a good arts program, and helpful staff etc... I think that you can also read that many past guests liked our rooms, but I would suggest that if an exceptional room experience is important, you will find ours are comfortable and nicely appointed, but there are some incredible hotel rooms in the city that would certainly outshine many of ours, then again they tend to be considerably more expensive... such is the trade-off.

I'm a little surprised by the comment regarding an odour in the room and fitness centre... quite honestly I've never come across anything like that in past, none of our staff have noted anything, and I've not heard or read any similar comments from past guests. We are a smoke-free hotel and we don't use any aroma products. Beds in hotels in general are becoming an issue, we find that as many guests like firm beds as those that like soft beds, it is a challenge to match a specific guest with their specific want, all I can say is if you do find the bed too firm, let us know and we'll happily place a pillow top on the bed... usually that addresses the problem.

Thanks again,
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights and because we were celebrating
our Ruby Wedding Anniversary they
upgraded our room.
Service was excellent particularly from the front desk.
We also had an excellent meal in their restaurant on our anniversary night.

• Stayed June 2011
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed July 6, 2011

my wife and i stayed at the hotel for three nights, the hotel staff were very helpful, the hotel is well located making it easy to get around Vancouver. the only downside was the restaurant. we had breakfast there three times, the first two morniungs the staff were misserable, no smiles , no good days, and service was poor. we had a better waiter on the last day. we ate their one evening, the food was good but again the attitude of the staff was poor. the restaurant lacks a buzz, the restaurant mangement were disconnected which was shame as for that reason i would not go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tsawwassen-Jim, General Manager at The Listel Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you very much for posting your comments. I am happy to read that your hotel stay went well and our location suited your needs. I do aplogize for your experiences in our restaurant, I am sorry that the service provided did not match your findings in the hotel. Generally as noted in other postings our restaurant receives high marks both for quality of food and of service, it would seem however that we must have "dropped the ball" in this instance. I will ensure that our restaurant managers are made aware of your findings so that they can review service, particularly our breakfast service.

With best regards,