“Great Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
nj
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

Our family's stay at the Westin was terrific. The location is unbelievable - you have a great view of the harbor and you can walk or bike into Stanley Park in no time. Being an east coaster, I was up early, and watched the sun rise from my terrace, while the cruise ships came into the pier.

The lobby was beautiful, and for a city hotel, the outdoor pool was large, inviting and clean. There's a Starbucks in the hotel for the early morning coffee. The Corporate rate that I got made the hotel a great bargain.

The room was comfortable and clean, although the hotel is clearly not new. We had a good-sized room with a terrace, but the wear of 30+ years is starting to show on the guest rooms and in the hallways. The indoor pool and health club were as you would expect for a large hotel.

All of the staff were helpful, especially the bell desk and the greeter. The concierge were cordial and helpful, but not especially knowledgeable. They were able to make reservations for us for dinner and for rafting, but when we asked about taking an aerial tour, they said to just go down to the airport and we could take a flight immediately - that advice was incorrect - you definitely need to book ahead.

• Liked — The location on the harbor and proximity to Stanley Park
  • Disliked — Guest rooms, while clean, are somewhat dated
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank gg99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

The Westin Bayshore is like an old friend--quite predictable with subtle surprises. I've been staying at the Bayshore for over 15 years now, but this was my first visit back in about 5 years.

The guest rooms really need some work though. We had a harbourview room in the main (read older) building, and while the view was spectacular, the room showed its age. The bed was not particularly heavenly (a Westin trademark), and the bathroom and closet were rather small by today's standards. The physical plant needed TLC as the bathtub did not drain that quickly, the toilet would flush only with some effort, and the "secret" elevator for our wing was not functioning.

That being said, the remodeling of the lobby and public places was done with class and beauty. The poolside restaurant and bar, now named the Seawall Bar & Grill (fka Trader Vic's--an institution), is a good place to relax with a drink in the afternoon, or smoke a cigar after dinner. The large circular pool is nice, but it could use some more lounge chairs. The staff are quite helpful and friendly (as are most Canadians). One of the pool attendants even remembered our names the next day. The hotel also has airport check-in for certain airlines.

If you can, try to get a harbourview room, whether in the main building or the tower. Waking up in the morning with a view of the Northshore mountains and the sound of seaplanes landing nearby is an only-in-Vancouver experience. (Just be prepared for the prices--a harbourview room in the summer runs north of $250, and with parity between the Candian dollar and the U.S. dollar, it's not the bargain it used to be.)

Location-wise, the Bayshore is tough to beat. It's right on Coal Harbour, and a block from Stanley Park. There are a couple restaurants nearby (Lift--a fancy place, and Cardero's--a more down-to-earth place), and you are a couple blocks from Denman (which has great little unique shops and restaurants). Downtown is a 15 minute walk away. There is not much traffic around the Bayshore because it is secluded on its own little street. Parking is expensive ($26 per day for valet, a little less for self).

I will always have a sentimental place in my heart for the Bayshore. If you are looking for more glitz and glamour, stay at the Pan Pacific or the Fairmount Hotel Vancouver. But, if you can tolerate a some rougher edges and do not need perfection, the Bayshore is a great hotel.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Physical plant needs some work
12 Thank McMax
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

My latest Starwood Hotel stay brought me to the Westin Bayshore, which is the only resort-style hotel in Vancouver. If one were to compare the locations of Vancouver's downtown hotels, the Westin Bayshore, in my opinion, has the best; its waterfront location is peaceful and serene. The hotel is within easy walking distance to all of the downtown attractions/shopping, as well as Stanley Park. Here are the highlights of my stay:

Pro's:
- Gorgeous waterfront locale.
- Beautiful Lobby with acres of marble, blonde-wood accents and a large, cozy fireplace.
- Friendly, courteous staff.
- Views from the rooms are great! North/North-West facing rooms of the Bayshore Tower have the best views (Mountains/Ocean etc.).
- As always, one cannot go wrong with Westin's Heavenly Beds
- Exercise Room is very nice, and there are two pools on site (Indoor and Outdoor).
- The Starbucks in the lobby-area is nice and convenient.
- Currents Restaurant: excellent hotel restaurant that serves breakfast and Sunday brunch. It can be a little pricey, but the food is definitely worth it. The brunch buffet is amazing.

Con's:
- The hotel is large and has an expansive layout (can be confusing to navigate the hallways at first).
- The elevators for the main-building were not all operating, so sometimes we had to wait a bit for the elevator.
- The hotel's biggest fault is its age: though it was renovated in the late 90's, the hallways and rooms are showing some wear-and-tear. The main-level public spaces are perfect, but the guestrooms definitely need some upgrading (one of the hotel employees mentioned that this is rumoured to happen soon).
- Seawall Restaurant: this is where the hotel serves Lunch/Dinner. Eating lunch here might be worthwhile, but dinner is overpriced for what you get (the waterfront views are appreciated, though).
- Because the hotel has a large convention centre, it can get quite busy (especially evenings on weekends).

Overview:
Despite the hotel's shortcomings, with regards to outdated infrastructure/guest rooms, it excels in guest service, location, and atmosphere. The Westin Bayshore manages to successfully provide a resort-ambience in the downtown of a bustling metropolitan city: this is a great feat in and of itself. A return stay is definitely in the works.

• Liked — Tranquil Waterfront Location, Grand Lobby, Great Views & Service
  • Disliked — Outdated Rooms & Buildings
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
11 Thank Resort_Employee
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We enjoyed our stay at the Westin Bayshore. We booked through Priceline and got a much better price than we would have otherwise, so I don't know if I would've been as satisfied had I paid full price. The exterior of the hotel, lobby, and other public facilities were beautiful. The location on the water is also very nice. The room itself was okay. Very comfortable bed and the dual showerhead was amazing (we actually thought about buying it!). The hotel is walking distance to Canada Place, Robson Street, and Stanley Park. We were disappointed with what seemed like the hotel "nickel and dime-ing" us or trying to squeeze every last cent out of us such as charging $16/day for in-room internet access, $0.30/minute for use of the internet in the business center with a $5 minimum charge. One last example of this was when we chose to self-park. We unloaded our bags, then my husband was just going to help me get the bags to our room and then return to park the car. Mind you, it was 11pm (not busy at all). The valet attendant told my husband that he couldn't leave the car there since we were self-parking. That was kind of annoying. But overall, we had a nice time staying at this hotel and would stay again (if we could get a reasonable price).

5 Thank ATL75
Portland,Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

Here is what I wrote to the hotel upon departure,need I say more? I should have listen to the other reviewers
To whom it may concern,
After reading many bad reviews on tripadvisor.com about your hotel, we decided to keep our reservations anyway as we already paid for the rooms and we've always had a great experience with Westin around the world. We did get an upgrade to a harbour view which was great although I'd like to point something out that actually came up on tripadvisor.com. My mother stayed in room 516 (my husband and I in 515) and her wallpaper was not only falling apart but there was some mold underneath. I called guest services and after 45 minutes, a tech came and put a blue pin to hold the wallpaper and told us that , that way, we wouldn't have to look at the mold anymore... i don't know about you but for the price of the room, mold is never out of sight, out of mind in my book. I explained my concerns to a guest service agent who gave 2 people of my party of 4 a complimentary breakfast for the next morning but although appreciated i feel that $70 was not fair compared to the moldy room situation.
Last but not least if Morton at the concierge was extremely helpful and professional, Colette on the other hand was borderline racist and very rude. I asked her about Richmond and she said "I wouldn't know as I would not shop in that area".
As an SPG member, my husband and i felt that the experience was awful. Next time if we are in the area we will probably stay at the Soleil or the four season hotel. I hope STARWOOD will review whether or not the bay shore should be on their hotel list.

• Disliked — rooms, price
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

The hotel has one of the best locations for Vancouver and its worth staying there just for that alone. The room was very good with great views across Stanley Park and the harbour. The floatplanes fly past on approach to the harbour but you get used to the noise. There are a number of eating out options as the hotel is expensive. We used the Starbucks just off the lobby area and also ate breakfast in the hotel which was very good. Curiously we had an elevator problem like many others. There was always one elevator inoperative during our 5 day stay.There was a TV crew in filming around the pool area on one day which made for an entertaining morning. You can walk into Stanley Park in less than 10 minutes and then there is a huge area to wander around, well worth a visit. You can also walk to the Cruise Terminal and Gastown in about half an hour. We even walked to False Creek in about 35-40 minutes and took a little ferry across to Granville Island which is well worth a visit. The floatplane terminal is only about a 15 minute walk (but don't forget your photo ID if you plan on flying!). We would definitely stay in this hotel again, even if its just to go back to that location and walk along the harbour front and soak up the views.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevators not working
9 Thank TJ862
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

Stayed here due to proximity to business meeting so I didn't read the reviews beforehand but they are accurate.

The Good
1. Absolutely spectacular views of the harbor and the mountains. I had a corner room on the third floor overlooking all of the boats, the park and the mountains. One of the best urban hotel views I have ever had. It didn't hurt that it was 70 and sunny in August - it doesn't get much better in Vancouver. My room was quite spacious.
2. Lobby areas - The ground floor has been redone in blond wood throughout - though a bit sterile and lifeless, it is open and visually stunning.
3. Close to the action - Great walks/jogs in the morning, close to restaurants on the water - Cardero's was excellent. Vancouver is a wonderful city with a clean and modern downtown and the Westin is a great vantage point to gaze at the city in all its splendor.

The Bad
1. Prices - The $375 I paid was the most I've ever paid for a business hotel other than Palmilla in Cabo. I pay less than this in Manhattan. Adding insult to injury, I had to pay $10.95 for internet
access which is outrageous at those prices.
2. Elevators - As others have noted, one of two three elevators from the lobby doesn't work, leaving only two, and both of them are incredibly slow. There is one more off the hallway which is also slow. The guests in my cab chuckled about how long we all spent going downstairs. Now that I read the other reviews, the really annoying thing is that it doesn't appear that they're in any hurry to fix the elevators.
3. Door keys - My door key didn't work after dinner. I went back down to the lobby after a long wait and got a new key. One of my associates had the same experience checking at midnight and they finally sent security up after two trips to the front desk.
4. Run down - The hotel rooms themselves are like any other Westin - the heavenly bed is outstanding - but the infrastructure is deteriorating - the main building looks like a 60's condo from the outside and paint is chipping and there is a musty smell in the hallways - the hallways also have those ugly ceiling tiles and outdated wallcoverings. A hair on my TP roll didn't do it for me either.
5. Service - No chocolates on my beds or turndown service or radio/TV turned on to a relaxing channel. Lights were off but the AC was on - I always know I'm in a Westin when I come in for the night and it's an icebox. Some survey must tell them everyone likes this. However, when I went back to the front desk to fix my malfunctioning key, the front desk manager asked me how I liked the view from my room and I had to laugh - it's like climbing a mountain and being told not to look down.

The Bottom Line
If I had paid $149 midweek or even $199 I would probably be a lot less testy but if the Westin is going to charge like a luxury hotel than it ought to deliver as one. The hotel has a long way to go in its consistency but it's hard not to have a good time when the view and the surroundings are so nice.

• Liked — Views, location
  • Disliked — Cost, run down hotel, inconsistent service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank HarryfromLA