“Awesome”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Loved the location. Just a stone throw away from Stanley Park. Has all the facilities you can imagine. A nice indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room. A well equipped gym and a huge outdoor heated pool adds to the wow factor.
The location provides endless awesome views. The marinas and the seaplanes give this hotel such an incredible buzz.
Parking at the hotel is $18 for self park and $18.50 for valet parking. The garage is in another building but you can easily find on street parking for free. You just have to move your vehicle to another spot by 11am the next day if you arrive at night.
The room is again standard Westin quality. A heavenly bed, heavenly robes and heavenly shower completes the package.
This is going to be our hotel of choice the next time we visit Vancouver.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank Beaverton
Write a ReviewReviews (3,199)

A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our stay at the Westin in Vancouver. But, I was a bit disappointed by the fact that we had made our arrangements through the travel bidding site Hotwire. A few people on this site recommended calling a week ahead of time and asking for a Tower Room. I called a week ahead, the young lady was very friendly and stated that she would "make a note in my booking." When I arrived, the check in clerk said I could get the tower room, but it would be $30 CDN more per night. What do you do at this point, say nah, I will just stick with my $100 USD broom closet room. No, you pay the $30 and smile.

The room was fine, comfortable, with a view. But the extra charge in my opinion is a scam, and one that the Westin is happily perpetuating.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2005

I wanted to stay near the water, to see the harbor from my room, to be very comfortable, and to be close to restaurants. I originally wanted to stay at the Pan Pacific ,but changed my mind after reading about the construction going on near Canada Place. So I picked the Westin. It was a good choice. We got a Marina view room on the 7th floor (Starwood Preferred floor, I was told) in the Tower bldg. I booked using the Entertainment Card and got the deluxe room for approx. $265 CAD. It was quiet and comfortable. I really liked the heavenly bed and shower. We could open up the sliding doors and look out at the Marina and Stanley Park in the distance. I even made a seagull friend out on the balcony. My favorite restaurant was an easy 5 block walk from the hotel. This was Hon's Wun Tun House. Wonderful noodles, wun tun, bbq ribs, and other Cantonese food. Shops, drug store and great Natural Foods store also nearby. The Natural foods store has a wonderful bakery! It reminds me of Whole Foods. Vancouver was wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank seatraveler6
Reviewed September 10, 2005

We stayed at this hotel from 28th Aug to 1st Sept. We got a rate of $80/- per day + Taxes and Fees at Hotwire. We had read a lot about it on the Internet and on Tripadvisor and we followed the points. I had called in a week before and requested the Reservations desk to situate us in the Tower building. Our request was accomodated. We were given a room in the towers (17th Foor) overlooking the downtown and the Stanley Park Fountain in the Lost Lagoon. My son and I used to sit down in the small balcony to see the sun-set and seaplanes about to land in the coal harbour, while eating fruits bought from a fruit store nearby (Denman Street).

I requested a room overlooking the wanted to charge for the room overlooking the water and the mountains and I did not want to pay for it as we were visitors for the first time and expected most of our time spent visiting. I did not regret my decision.

I have to agree that both the shower and the beds are as mentioned in all the previous reviews. Cotton bed sheets and nice shower made it so much more pleasurable to come back to our hotel room in the evening. I was not on a business trip and I did not bring my laptop. So I was not worried about Internet Access. However there are a couple of Internet Cafes very close to the hotel. One is there on Denman Street and the other one on Robson street.

My 4 yr old loved the indoor heated swimming pool. They have an outdoor heated pool as well but it was getting a bit chilly at this time of the year and we decided to stay inside.

The view of seaplanes landing and taking off in the coal harbour was quite exciting for us and my 4 yr old. Stanley park is so close. We walked into the park and then took the free bus service of the Stanley park to go to different places within the park.

We had rented a car in this trip. Although I had read that one does not need a car in Vancouver, however I believe that it really helps with a 4 yr old. Hotel charges day parking of $6/- upto 6:00 P.M. and $18/- for overnight parking. However I did not use the hotel parking. For those occasions when we had to come back to the hotel during the day, I used the street parking ( 40 minutes for $1/-). During the night we parked on the street right across the hotel entrance for free. Parking is free after 8:00 P.M. and until 9:00 A.M. of the next day. I found that it was safe to park on the street.

We found three great places for breakfast. Bojangles on Denman Street, Rosco's on Robson street and White Spot on W. Georgia Street. All these are one to 3 blocks walking distance. We never ate in the hotel as we wanted to avoid the buffett part.

We also found a great Middle Eastern Place (Falafel, Hummus, Shwerma etc.) on Denman street. They make great stuff. This place is on Denman street right next to the Banana Leaf Restaurant. Although I don't like Japanese food, on Denman street, there seems to be a Japanese Restaurant where there people waiting in lines to get a place to eat. You walk on Denman street and you can't miss it. There is a Safeway also on the crossing of Denman and Robson. Starbucks and Coffee Shops are in every nook and corner close by.

We had a great time and would definitely come back and stay in this Hotel.
Previously we had booked our room in Sheraton Wall Center, but I am glad that we changed our mind and stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
14  Thank Naya-Adventures
Reviewed September 6, 2005

The Westin Bayshore was an excellent hotel all round. We spent 3 days there in July. It is a great base while exploring downtown Vancouver. It is set on the waterfront, in a good area, within walking distance of Stanley Park and reasonable walking distance of Downtown attractions. The view from our window over the harbour looking across to North Vancouver was just great. The reception staff were very accommodating, we arrived in the morning and were fortunate to be allocated our room early, which made a great difference to us (and our 2 children) after an 8 hour flight. We thoroughly enjoyed the great Canadian breakfasts in the lovely dining room, the indoor pool, the outdoor pool and all the extra touches which make this a very special hotel. Can't wait to go back! After this hotel, no other hotel on our holiday compared, you get what you pay for and it was worth every penny!

7  Thank F1ona
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Great hotel. Fabulous setting. Excellent staff, with only occasional exceptions.

Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed August 24, 2005

I just returned home this morning and wanted to add my two cents about this property. For starters, this hotel has the rudest, least accomodating staff I have ever seen (and I travel extensively). The hotel was full when I checked in and I was not able to get into my room until 6:00pm local time. I had been traveling for over 10 hours and needed to clean up before a 6:30 meeting. I tried to get a temporary room to shower and change in, but they had nothing for me. I had to go to the public restroom at the hotel to clean up and put a suit on. Once I got my room it had a view of the roof construction (they started banging at about 7:45 A.M) My room was nothing special- My advice; try the pan pacific or fairmont down the street, they are the same price range and much nicer.

• Stayed: August 2005