“Wonderful Hotel”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We arrived mid-morning after a cruise, and were invited to check in right away. Our room was bright, airy, and comfortable, with a beautiful view of the harbor. The location of this hotel is magnificent, and the spacious, open design of the lobby gives it a resort feel. The staff were exceptionally helpful and polite.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 4, 2009

The Westin Bayshore Vancouver is within a stone's throw from the province's most beautiful urban park (Stanley Park) and a spectacular waterfront area, with marina. If one is looking for photographic panoramas that represent Vancouver, this hotel is pretty much in a prime location.

This view is evident if you manage to get a room that faces the park or the harbour. My room was an upper-floor tower room, and one has an amazing view of Stanley Park, the water, and the mountains. If you're on the harbour side of the tower, you can even see the float planes land throughout the day, which is pretty neat.

The rooms are standard Westin issue, and are clean and modern in the Tower. (There's also the "main building" (shorter, and 8-storey), and I'm not familiar with their rooms.) My room had a flat panel TV, a renovated bathroom, and a good, comfortable bed. I also had the opportunity to see other rooms on the same floor. Some rooms have a shower only (no bathtub), and some tower rooms also have the (small) closet *in* the bathroom, which is pretty goofy if you asked me.

The Westin is a full-featured hotel, with a good-sized fitness facility and 2 pools, indoor and outdoor. The indoor pool is modest, but I was able to swim laps in it. It also has a massive conference facility, and there is a *constant* stream of conferences, conventions, and weddings, which certainly makes the place rather busy. The business centre is basic but functional, and you can get in-room high-speed Internet, but at a cost. Parking is available, both valet and self, but at a fee (~$25-$30 per night).

But by far, the best (and worst) part of the hotel is its location. When the sun's out, the view of the North Shore is stunning, and the hotel is a very pleasant resort destination. That said, it's actually a rather far walk from other interesting Vancouver sights. While Stanley Park is nearby, the nearest (non-hotel) restaurant strip is Denman Street, which is a modest walk away. The major shopping district is at least a 20-minute walk away, though the Westin does provide a free shuttle van to Robson Street and the shopping areas. There are a couple of nice wine bars in the area, but if you're looking for nightlife/music/theatre, you will likely need to drive or take a short cab ride to the Orpheum, to Granville Street, or to Gastown. Plus, you're also a 15-20-minute walk to the "office tower" area of downtown, so if you're in town for business meetings, it's slightly inconvenient. I'd try other downtown hotels for business-related meetings.

That said, I'd still recommend this hotel for visitors, and certainly if you're in town for leisure purposes. If you can get a good Starwood rate or get this property through Priceline, it's an even better value.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2009

This is a very nice hotel right the on the waterfront. Beautiful views. Within walking distance to many things. If you have little luggage you can even walk to the cruise docks. We just felt it was very pricey and the room was looking worn. I would stay here again and would use Hotwire again to get the good price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2009

With a location, and views, that are second to none, the Westin Bayshore feels like a special occasion splurge. But a Westin website special offer allowed me to upgrade from my bare bones budget hotel for just a few extra dollars. To top it off, I received a complimentary upgrade to a corner room when they realized it was my birthday. I had stunning views of Stanley Park, the mountains, the harbor and marina and a gorgeous skyline, especially at night. They really made my trip special.
Currents Restaurant, which serves breakfast, was pricey and didn't offer particularly good value, which is typical of restaurants in luxury accomodations. But there are plenty of dining options nearby at all price points.
Weekends are very busy, with weddings, graduations and all manner of special events taking place and noisy revelers can detract from the peace and quiet of the resort atmosphere.
My only complaint is the noise created by the heavy doors to the room. They close automatically but slam with such force they shake the walls. With people coming and going into the wee hours, it was very disturbing to be jarred awake by slamming doors.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Westin Bayshore is located next to StanleyPark in a wonderful area. We enjoyed walking along the Seawall in this world class city. The hotel lived up to the high expectations we had set for it, even got a 3 nights for the price of 2 special through Expedia. My wife would have liked a spa, but apparently that is coming soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GaryMel
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My wife and I arrived at the end of an extended trip starting in Seattle, Washington, through Victoria, B.C., and ending in Vancouver for our 40th wedding anniversary. Never having been to Vancouver, I had no personal experience to draw on, and depended on doing research on the internet before I booked a room in another upscale Vancouver "boutique" hotel for this surprise trip for my wife and me. Upon arriving at the other "boutique" hotel, we were extremely disappointed in their room, their facilities and their staff, but were at a loss as what to do, since we had no other options immediately available to us. I called a friend, and he recommended I call the Westin Bayshore, as he and his wife had stayed there before. I called Westin reservations, and began what turned out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had with a hotel and its staff. When I explained our predicament to the reservation clerk, Kathy, I was pleasantly surprised when she went well beyond my expectations to help us get a room, at a great rate, even though it was last minute. She stayed on the phone with me until I had time to talk to my wife and to check with the people at the "boutique" hotel to see if we could leave without any penalty (fortunately, they did allow us to do that). I booked the room, and we then proceeded to drive directly to the Westin Bayshore, where we were greeted as we pulled into the porte cochere by the head valet, valet staff, and bellman, who unloaded and parked our car while we were directed into the hotel and the registration desk. After a quick check-in, our bellman took us to our 16th floor corner room in the tower building. Our bellman hung up our clothes, set up our suitcases, filled our ice bucket and asked if there was anything else he could do for us before leaving. Our room had magnificent views of the harbor and the city out of its floor-to-ceiling glass windows and doors onto the balcony, and was immaculately clean and beautifully appointed with its contemporary wood furniture, a well-stocked mini-bar, great closet (with plush his-and-her robes), generous drawer space, an in-room safe, flat-screen TV, one of the most comfortable king-sized beds I've ever slept in, a beautiful bathroom with granite countertops and a glass-enclosed tile shower with a large center shower head in the ceiling. What a difference compared to the "boutique" hotel we had just left to come to the Westin! After we were settled in, I went down to Concierge, as my existing reservations for our anniversary dinner were at the aforementioned "boutique" hotel's restaurant, which I no longer wished to patronize. Emily, who apparently takes care of the concierge duties at the Westin Bayshore, recommended two excellent restaurants; "Seasons" in Queen Elizabeth Park, and "Sequoia Teahouse" in Stanley Park. At my request, she then made arrangements for both restaurants, one on the night before our anniversary and one the night of our anniversary. When we went to the restaurants, we were pleasantly surprised to receive free hors d'oeuvres, compliments of the Westin Bayshore concierge.

I can't say enough about the great accommodations and wonderful service at the Westin Bayshore. We will definitely be coming back to Vancouver and staying at the Westin on our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NMTraveler48
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I was at the Westin Bayshore for a business conference on location. It was a spectacular facility and the location right on the edge of Stanley Park and on the ocean was unbelievable! I stayed for 3 nights and now know I need a new bed! The staff was very friendly and the food was exceptional too. The access for walking through Stanley Park and along the water was great. Definitely will be back with my wife!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business