“Large hotel, newly renovated, good waterfront location”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #23 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed in one of the newly renovated Tower rooms....the renovation is well done and the result is your standard Westin guestroom....clean, contemporary and pleasant.

Hotel is very large and has a business/ conference feel to it in the public areas. We were there over a weekend and it felt a little quit...definitely not a boutique feel.

Great location on the water with excellent access to the big park area with wonderful walking and running trails, etc.

Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank Minibarmuncher
Write a ReviewReviews (3,299)

Reviewed February 4, 2009

Arrived at the Westin Bayshore after lunch in Nanaimo harbour and a short trip by sea-plane straight into Coal Harbour, so the location and convenience couldn’t be beat! Originally allocated a room facing the harbour but after a quick call down to reception we moved to room with view of Stanley Park (and the sunset). We were on the last leg of a two week tour of Alberta & BC so although it was all thrilling, we were ready for a day of rest without having to travel too far to enjoy the sights. Once we had unpacked and settled in my friend went down to the outdoor pool for a swim while I rested for a while just admiring the lovely views out over the water to Stanley Park. Once the sun moved round from the pool it got quite chilly so we thought we might try the Jacuzzi by the indoor pool but having changed and went down, it was very busy with families and young children, so not really the relaxing experience we had in mind. Instead we decided to change and head to nearby restaurant by the waterside that could be accessed through the garden of the hotel. All the travelling had caught up with us and we had an early flight next morning so spoke to concierge about booking a taxi to the airport for 6am, but they assured us there would be plenty of taxis available in the morning, and sure enough there was. The room was a good size with very comfortable bed and spacious bathroom and check-out was fast and efficient and all for a reasonable price. A very good overall experience, only wish we’d had more time to enjoy it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank kbhr
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I've been staying at the Westin Bayshore since 1983 and can honestly say I've never been disappointed. My most recent stay was no exception.

As others have mentioned, the staff members are uniformly great, making guests feel at home and at ease immediately. The doorman watched my car while I checked in without forcing me to park and then retrieve it within just a few minutes' time. Although I arrived quite a bit before noon, the desk clerk found me a room on the 7th floor that was ready for occupancy and got me right in. The concierge was happy to answer all my questions and provide me with a map of the local area so I could find my way.

My guest room (724) was very Asian-modern and incldued high-end amenities like a flat-screen TV, robes in the room (without having to be requested), and an increasingly-rare commodity these days: a minibar. It also had the famous Westin Heavenly Bed but, interestingly, no Heavenly Shower...or tub. The bathroom had only a shower, but with a "drench" showerhead, similar to those at the Savoy Hotel in London. Very pleasant; just a bit of a surprise.

The Bayshore has a self-service business centre (yes, spelled "re"; you're in Canada, after all), an indoor pool and spa, a fitness centre they're in the process of refurbishing, and an onsite restaurant and bar.

With the hotel located on Coal Harbour, many (if not all) of the rooms have great views, either of Burrard Inlet, Stanley Park, or the mountains. It's a few blocks from the popular shopping area along Robson Street, but it's not a bad walk unless the weather is horrible. And the area immediately around the hotel is fairly built up, offering a selection of cafes, restaurants, and a bit of shoping as well as nice places to walk.

There are a few drawbacks of which one should be aware. The Westin Bayshore has an attached conference center; therefore, things can get a little crazy if there's an activity or two underway.

Also, as an older facility, the walls are a bit thinner than many newer hotels and I could easily hear the two women next door when they returned to their room after what I have to conclude was an evening of partying. It's not that they were especially loud; they just weren't church-mice. When I mentioned that to the clerk upon check-out, he was most conciliatory and urged me to call the front desk next time and allow them to intervene. Once again, the excellent customer service I've come to expect from Westin.

Next time I'm in Vancouver, I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I would highly recommend the Westin Bayshore Vancouver. Certainly the waterside placement and location near shops, parks and attractions was wonderful, but I must rave about the staff. To a person, every single staff member from valet, bellman, check-in, waiter to housekeeping were exceptionally friendly, helpful and kind. Really the most overwhelmingly positive experience I've ever had in a hotel. I'm only sorry we only stayed there one night on our way to Whistler (the Westin Whistler was fantastic too). We had a newly renovated room with a great view. Vancouver was buried under a snow storm, but the Westin hummed along as beautifully as the view. The restaurant wasn't open when we got there for dinner, so they opened it early for us! Nice! I chose this Westin because they actually have rollaway beds so I could fit my family of 4 in one room. The room wasn't huge, but it was ample for all of us and had been nicely re-done with an HD LCD TV. We'll definitely go back there. Exceedingly pleasant and a good value!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JimboLA
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Place OK, but it is quite noisy room small, I was expecting more from a Westin.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ATNT
Reviewed November 4, 2008

The Westin Bayshore is stylish and classy hotel, with good access to the Marina and Coal Bay area. The Bar has a nice view over the Burrard Inlet towards the Coastal Montains, but as its a Westin, its a bit pricey.

Areas such as Gastown and Robson St. are a little further away, but ok to walk to if you have the time.

Unfortunately we were given a room on only the second floor, with spectacular view of - the lobby! And we had to wait till gone 4pm for our room to be ready (We`d arrived at 1pm).

So pro`s and con`s, but to be honest it doesn`t matter were you stay in Vancouver, you`ll love the city.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank beauxl2002
Reviewed October 31, 2008

Stayed at the Westin Bayshore October 23 -26th.

The hotel was booked as part of a business convention and we could not have been happier with the Westin.

The location of the hotel is right on the harbour adjacent to Stanley Park with a commanding view of harbour, Stanley Park and the city depending on the room. We were on the 7th floor in the lower tower facing the harbour/city. The room has been recently renovated and although the bathroom was a bit on the small side due to the size of the vanity, it suited us well. The shower was a bit different with a plate glass partition and no door. The shower head is an overhead 'rain' style that falls directly on you. Takes a bit to get used to it and it does swivel.

The room was of a typical size with a comfortable king sized 'heavenly bed' and a wide choice of pillows to choose from. The television is a 32" LCD mounted on the wall directly accross from the foot of the bed. There are about 60 channels and specialty pay per view, however, none were high def except the rental movies. There are two comfortable chairs and a small table next to the balcony window. Although there was no balcony in this particular room the floor to ceiling glass window/patio door slid accross and virtually opened up the room. The views from most rooms are excellent, however you need to be at least 5-6 floors up to clear the service buildings. All of the tables in the room were glass covered which gave the room a modern contemporary look. There is a mini bar fridge and electronic safe available. Closed space is limited and located in the bathroom. An iron and ironing board is also supplied along with two oversized housecoats.

The service in this hotel is above standard. Everyone was pleasant and most helpful. The foyer is expansive and very impressive.

There are two pools, one outdoor adjacent to the seawall and an indoor with a large hot tub. The business facilities were standard with only two computers on a cost to use basis located in a separate room on the mall level adjacent to Starbucks. The meeting rooms are large and the grand ballroom is able to handle a sizable crowd. The bar is located next to the seawall and offers the standard fare with an excellent view. We did not try the restaurant as it seemed to be closed everytime we checked. There are excellent places to eat within a few minutes walking distance.

Both Stanley Park and most of downtown are about a 10 minute walk. This city caters to health conscious people with many walking/biking trails entwined with the streets. Pets are welcome virtually everywhere and the pace is a bit more laid back then other large cities the size of Vancouver.

The Westin is a high quality hotel with excellent amenities and outstanding service. I would not hesitate to recommend this facility to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business