“Nice hotel and location”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We are staying here for a post holiday getaway. The location is very nice - next to Stanley Park and on the water and easy to walk anywhere. Our room is nice - seems to have been recently remodeled, especially the huge bathroom. Super comfy beds. Nice views too and good exercise area. My only complaint is that they charge for wifi. Who charges for that these days?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Heather G, Front Office Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear TravelAlotCA,
Thank you for sharing your holiday getaway with us. We were delighted to be your chosen hotel. Come visit again soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The room had a marvellous view of the harbour and the fitness room was fabulous. The large outdoor pool looking inviting, it was a pity that the weather was too cold to enjoy it. My only concern was that there was only one restaurant open and it was unprepared to quickly serve many guests during our convention lunch break. Great location and close vicinity to Stanley Park and many restaurants. $35 taxi fare to/from airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Travelling_Zoomer,
We were so pleased to have you as our guest during your recent convention. I’m delighted that you enjoyed both our hotel and our breathtaking surroundings. Thank you also for the feedback that you shared about your restaurant experience. Although this was very out of the ordinary during your stay we do apologize for any inconvenience that the delays may have caused. I hope work or pleasure will allow you a return visit soon!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is my first choice when I am coming to Vancouver. It's right on the ocean, room views are spectacular, very close to many nice restaurants, awesome fitness room, pool, and a big sprawling main floor lobby. My only complaint is they don't have a club lounge for Sheraton Platinum guests which is odd. Staff are very service oriented.

Room Tip: Ocean view - corner room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear FamilyTravellers2008,
We so appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I attended a conference recently at the Westin Bayshore. We were greeted well and the rooms were reasonable for the price, though I don't understand why you are quoted one price and then there are four other charges added to that price. Starting price was $149, which actually ended up being $173.58. That is illegal in Australia, though I do understand I was visiting Canada and the rules are different.

They have a green program which enables you to earn a $5 credit each day if you forgo having your sheets and towels changed daily. You can allegedly spend these vouchers in the hotel, WARNING, read the fine print carefully. I tried to use them at a conference function, the staff member didn't know anything about them, then sought me out much later that night and told me they would have to cover the cost of my purchase from their pay if I didn't cough up cash...now! Hardly what you would expect from a Five Star hotel.

I did complain to he duty manager, who to his credit rectified the matter immediately, however there is clearly a training problem in this hotel. Next as the function wound down a colleague and I broke off to have a quiet nightcap at the hotel bar. We were told in no uncertain terms that the bar was closed, in fact many of our conference colleagues had the same experience.

The general consensus among the delegates was this was a sleeping hotel, not a conference hotel. When you get to see your friends from around the world you want to be able to sit and enjoy a drink and their company, not be told, you can go to the bar down the road, especially when it's -7C outside.

In fact the bar closed most nights around 10.30 - 11.00pm apparently and on one night was closed for a private function. I emailed the hotel GM, Marion Harper Treskin and she didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge my email, she apparently asked her Assistant Front Office manager to call me, which he did. This guy tried hard, unfortunately, the rest of the team let him down.

This is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location, with a poor customer focus.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LinzOz
Heather G, Front Office Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear LinzOz,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience with us here at the Westin Bayshore. It is unfortunate that some of the policies were unclear during your experience. The fees and taxes that apply to your hotel rate are noted on the confirmation and are government issued so I do hope that you recognize that this is a very legitimate and customary practice in our country to have prices quoted before taxes and fees.
The Make A Green Choice program is however an optional program to forego housekeeping services if that is preferable for your stay. This option is entirely up to the hotel guest and those who opt in to the program are treated to a voucher that may be used in our hotel restaurant or coffee shop. Again I apologize that the details of this program were not clear.
We recognize that many guests such as you travel from all over the world where different practices and policies apply. Your feedback does allow us to ensure that we communicate our programs in a manner that is clear to all guests. Your feedback was very important to us when you were staying with us and I know you were contacted on a few occasions to help clarify and rectify your concerns. Although our General Manager was not available at the time that you were with us it was important to us that you received a prompt response from the Manager on Duty at the time.
We appreciate your feedback both when you were with us and again now. We value any opportunity to learn about how our programs and hotel experiences are interpreted.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hotel is located a short walk from the downtown area in one direction and a short and very pleasant walk to Stanley Park in the other direction. Nice views of the water. The hotel is fine . . . nothing exceptional, but no major complaints either. As other posters have noted, breakfast at the hotel is expensive, but there is a nice cafe less than a block from the hotel with a variety of breakfast options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear 150nightsperyr,
Thank you for your review for other trip advisor readers. I hope you’ll return so that you can find out hotel experience to truly be exceptional as so many others have noted.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you're going to stay in a hotel in Vancouver, why not be on the water overlooking the mountains. This hotel is the best spot to stay in Vancouver. Staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were fantastic. One draw back is the lack of closest space. If you have a lot to hang up, then make sure you ask for something portable to hang your clothes on. We keep the luggage cart in the room just so we could hang all our clothes up. The shower is on the slim side but is easily overlooked given the rest of the amenities.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel (The Seawall and Currents). Currents seemed to be closed 90% of the time (perhaps a breakfast only) but The Seawall was open and good. Plus there are several other restaurants in the area so Currents being closed wasn't an issue.

Meeting rooms are spacious and very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing north towards the mountains. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Gerry B,
Thanks you for sharing your recent Westin Bayshore experience with other trip advisor readers. You are correct about Currents being our breakfast restaurant. Thank you for the feedback that you have shared. For those guests who require a bit more space for cloths we have included a unique rack in the living area of most guest rooms also. Our surroundings are certainly inspiring; I’m delighted that you enjoyed them too!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I really enjoyed walking along the waterside and there are some great restaurants nearby. There are some good amenities at the hotel too.

I was disappointed in my room, which was located very close to the conference centre. One night I was kept awake by the sound of a function. The view out the window was of a wall. Others at the conference I was attending raved about the beautiful views from their rooms. Considering that I stayed two nights longer than most people, I was disappointed to have been given such a poorly located room.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor of the main building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Chezzer27,
Thank you for sharing your review with other trip advisor readers. We are very fortunate to be surrounded by such lovely natural surroundings. I do apologize that your room was not ideal on this recent visit. When you make your next reservation with us please let us know that you prefer a room further from the convention area. We want each guest to have a stay that is ideal for them and while having a room close to the meeting facilities is best for some it doesn’t meet the needs of other guests and we want to deliver on those preferences!