“Wonderful views”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Very clean rooms, wonderful views of surrounding marinas, downtown buildings and surrounding scenery. Plus it's fun to watch seaplanes landing and taking off. Easy access to sea wall path and about a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center along the sea wall.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Heather G, Front Office Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Ginsengsullivan,

It was a delight to have you as our guest recently. I’m glad you enjoyed our inspired surroundings as much as we do!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife's union picked up the tab so I don't know the rate - however they are thrifty so the price must have been attractive. I have stayed here about 4 years ago and it was very reasonable then. We were given a 13th floor corner room which was very nice, it felt clean and modern. The room was quite large with 2 very comfortable queen size beds with high quality bedding in perfect condition, great pillows, we slept well. The room had a great view of the harbor and stanley park. The free in-room coffee is excellent, the best I can recall in a mid range hotel for sometime. The bottled water was also free, newspapers were free also which I liked. The room comes with very nices robes (well "robe" actually, more on that in a sec), no slippers, safe is typical standard quality, toiletries are adequate. Good closet and drawer space - you could unpack a big suite case if the need be. The clean bathroom was smallish, one sink, and a smallish tub/shower combo, good hot water and water pressure. In a room this size I would have given up a few square feet for a proper shower and a double sink. TV is good with decent programming. Air conditioning/heat worked as far as temperature goes but varied a bit as it cycled on and off and it was a little noisy on start up, other than that the room was quiet.
Yes the parking is $36 a night - BUT, despite the waffling about that, the parkade charges that much, not the hotel. As you leave the parkade you can give a parking slip from the hotel to show you paid already if you want to charge it to your room, but I chose to just pay as a regular public parkade visitor, they had no way of knowing I was a Westin guest, they still charged $36, the signage is clear. Despite the comments about this being a rip off or gouging by the hotel... it is not. Vancouver is high on the list of the most expensive places for realestate in the world, and parking spaces are realestate. Apparently some think U$40 a night in San Francisco is okay but U$35 here is not? huh? Typically we pay $20 to $26 to park for 3 or 4 hours to watch events when we are in the city. Parking meters can hit $6 an hour! - if you can get a space.
Wifi was included in our room package however it is clear that is not always the case, we had to order it at $15 a day (plus the 17% taxes) then they took it off at check out, so watch for the wifi details if you want it. The wifi appeared to have a strong signal but was painfully slow and intermittent, even for on line shopping and opening google it was bad, failing to load at all at times. I would not be pleased to be paying for that - maybe they know in some areas of the hotel it is bad, hence the removal of the fee? This surprises me as this is a conference oriented business hotel. I just got back from Cambodia - the wifi was good there!!! Wifi is free in the lobby if you just need to check a few emails once in a while.
After 28 days last month in South East Asia, in 4 and 5 star hotels, adjusting back to Vancouver hotel service was a bit of a shock to the system. We were used to asking for something and getting it with smile (and a bow, often) without delay, with staff at the ready within sight at all times, they wouldn't dare walk by without greeting you. Here, my wife checked in a head of me and noticed we only had one robe so she asked in person at the front desk for a robe and a dog bed to be sent up, it was typed into the computer. 4 hours later it was not done - my wife phoned asking for the dog bed as I was showing up with the dog any minute - we got the bed, but we never did see the robe. The attitude of the front desk wasn't the greatest. The doorman at check in glanced at me then looked away without speaking, on check out the young lady at the post got it right and said hello. I know you get what you pay for, but we just didn't feel staff were really motivated as far as service goes. For example house keeping just walks by without saying a word and a well dressed man with a hotel name tag manages only a weak return smile passing in a quiet hallway.
We were tired early as were still getting over jet lag so we decided to eat diner in the hotel, this was a mistake. The Seawall Restaurant is NOT good, the ambience is not good, the food not good, and the staff a bit rough - nice enough, but lacking the graces for a major hotel - clueless about the limited menu, new they said - give me an hour on the job and I would have had it memorized. In a good restaurant staff would be given new menus to look over and they would be educated to answer basic questions about the menu items. It reminded me of an average pub out in the valley where of course the food will be 1/3 the price. My $18 (plus taxes and tip) burger lacked beef flavor, the bun was cheap quality and there was way too much salt on the burger and fries, the cheapest lettuce and a bland tomato slice. I have been watching my salt intake recently and I hate the feeling I get when I eat a salt bomb, I was up chugging water at 4:00am. My wife's scallops were nothing to write home about either. There are several restaurants nearby that are much much better, just look for the busy ones.
The location is nice for the view, and the very nice sea wall walk right into Stanley Park, we felt perfectly safe walking at night. You can rent bikes close by. It's too far to walk to Robson street, Pacific Center or Yale Town though. The area has been very well planned, a text book example of urban planning done right if you ask me. Lots of grass and trees and a nearby off leash dog area. I must commend the hotel for being dog friendly AND NOT CHARGING a fee for the dog. We will be guests here again entirely due to their pet friendly policies - just not in the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Piggy-can-fly

Dear Walrus2010,
We truly appreciate the time that you have put into this detailed and personal review. You have provided us with a plethora of feedback to grow from. I must apologize that you noted on a few occasions that you found the service to be less than ideal. I’m surprised to hear that you encountered this on a few occasions as that is contrary to what most guests have shared with us. We do endeavor to provide intuitive experiences and I recognize that this was not always the case with your recent visit. I will also share your detailed feedback about your dining experience with our restaurant team members.
I’m delighted that you will be returning to us again and I trust that you find that experience to be a truly exhilarating escape!

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

The Bayshore is a great place to stay in Vancouver. Great downtown location but removed from the hustle and bustle in Coal Harbour. Great attention to detail - loved the rain shower and the furnishings and bedding. Appreciate the green option of foregoing daily maid service for a restaurant credit or SPG rewards points.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear hacjuemarie,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m glad that you enjoyed our signature Heavely Bed and Heavenly Bath as well as our Make A Green Choice option for housekeeping service.
We really appreciate your personal review and hope you’ll be back again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was a little concerned about this stay, as the website made it look quite a business oriented hotel and not very kid friendly. But they completely showed me wrong. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from the parking valet to housekeeping to front desk was absolutely great to us. I would have to stay they have some of the friendliest and most helpful staff we have ever encountered, and that would include comparing them to our stays at Disney hotels.

There are a few reviews that say they had rude staff. Never saw anything close to that on our stay. Great staff, an incredible room with an even better view and super kid friendly. The kids especially loved watching the sea planes from the balcony.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear gor3don,
Thank you so much for sharing your delightful review with Trip Advisor readers. We truly strive to ensure that each guest received instinctive and inspired service at all times and it’s wonderful to hear how that experience was for you and your family. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our associates. We hope you’ll be able to return for another visit again soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for one night in October 2013 as a Platinum SPG member. Despite having requested an early check-in, I arrived just after check-in time, to be told my room wasn't available, and that none were available. After pointing out that I'd requested an early check-in, and that it was already past the check-in time, a room with two beds was magically found. Upon pushing further, another room was magically found. Lots of tutting from the staff - why couldn't they have just allocated me a room to begin with?

The hotel is fine. I like the location, but in the main the hotel is dated and could do with a thorough refurb. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it's tired and not what I'd expect from a Westin. I slept reasonably well on the bed, and free water was provided in my room, but there was no mini bar provided. No lounge provided in the hotel, and seemingly no extra amenities for Platinum members.

The checkout girl (at 5am) was very friendly, as was the concierge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Heather G, Front Office Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear liamuk2,
As a Platinum guest we very much value your loyalty and I do apologize that we missed some important instinctive components to your recent visit. We endeavor to anticipate the needs of our Platinum guests by choosing rooms that we feel would be more refreshing for you but in this visit I can see that the early availability of the room was certainly of greatest priority and I apologize that this was not a smooth part of your welcome. I appreciate the comments and feedback that you have shared and will certainly share with our teams also. Should you travels bring you back to Vancouver I would love for you to connect with me directly to assist with ensuring that is a truly inspired and ideal experience. Heather.guay@westin.com. Thank you again for both your comments and continued loyalty liamuk2.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is an impressive property. We were lucky enough to get a high floor facing Stanley Park so our view was amazing. The room as well appointed with a decent sized balcony. I was there with my wife and two young boys, so the pools were well used. We also walked around the park and harbor. There are also two excellent restaurants right outside the doors.
It would have been a fine vacation until my wife fell and broke her wrist while roller blading. The staff really stepped up to help us as we had to go to the hospital and return her equipment. They made a terrible experience workable and we're truly grateful.

Room Tip: The view is amazing facing the harbor and park
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kerry O,
While I’m so sorry to hear that your wife had such an unfortunate end to your holiday I’m glad to hear that we could help soothe things for your family. I hope you’ll have a chance to return with her and your boys to enjoy our surroundings again. We would be delighted to welcome you back! Thank you Kerry O for sharing your experience with trip advisor readers.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip and I did not expect this hotel to be so comfortable and in a location as wonderful as it was. Great places to walk next to the water, Starbucks in the building, and great views. I enjoyed in bed and the bright rooms, it must have been because it was in a location with open views for the light to flow in. I highly recommend this place everything was very comfortable

Room Tip: Ask for the river view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dennis Y,
I’m delighted to read that you were so pleasantly surprised by our hotel. We take great pride in not only providing instinctive conference and meeting facilities but also allowing delegates such as yourself to really feel renews and inspired by our breathtaking surroundings. I hope work or pleasure will allow you to return again soon!