“Great hotel but bring ear plugs” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #26 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“Great hotel but bring ear plugs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here on Remembrance Day as a bit of a treat to ourselves and we booked through Hotwire. We were really pleased that when we phoned ahead to make sure we got a king sized room, unlike other 4 star hotels in the area, they were happy to accommodate us. Since we booked through hotwire, our view wasn't the fancy view that everyone posts pictures of. We could see the pool, but it was still a decent view because we were high enough to see some of coal harbour.

The location is a little out of the way if you want to be downtown. It's about a 20 minute walk away from Waterfront station. It was pouring rain when I stayed here and the hotel supplied me with a nice big complimentary umbrella which was great as I was prepared to cough up $20 to buy one.

The room itself was lovely and the bathroom was amazing. The bed was nice and big and comfy. The only problem is, like some reviewers have already mentioned, is that the rooms have very little sound proofing. At least in the old tower. Normally I don't think this would have been a problem with most hotel guests, but we were unlucky in our neighbours. At 2:30am they were still talking at what must have seemed to them at a normal volume but to us trying to sleep it was very loud. The sound proofing was so bad that we could even hear them rifling through their shopping bags. We called them and asked them to be quiet, which they were for a few minutes and then quickly got loud again. Around 3:00am we called down to the front desk to ask them to do something about it because we couldn't get any sleep. It was also then that we started to smell the cigar smoke which was coming into our room through the adjoining door. This was not awesome as 1) these are non-smoking rooms and 2) I am allergic to smoke and get bad nosebleeds because of it.

The security guard came up and told them to be quiet and to put out the cigars, which they were surprised about but quickly were quiet and the smoke went away. We appreciated the quick response the hotel gave us and also the handwritten note from the on duty manager who apologized and comped us our valet parking. However, it was something we could have dealt without as it was our first weekend together since my husband had been away with work. I would have happily given this hotel the 5/5 rating if soundproofing had not been an issue.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the water have great views. New tower may help you avoid some of the soundproofing i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Delta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just back from a one overnight stay at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver. We were very impressed with everything - the pre-arrival contact to ascertain what room configuration we wanted, to the room, to the staff, Everything was just perfect. We had requested a king bed adjoining a 2 queen combination away from the Elevator and we were not disappointed at all. The King Bedded room was simply stunning and being located on a corner, had the full advantage of two walls of windows with a view out onto the harbour. The room was spacious, the bathrooms were clean, modern in their decor and the two headed shower gave me my best shower experience of the year :) We loved the fact that there was a fridge in each room - if only hotel out there did that. It was a very nice surprise and allowed us to keep lunch items brought for a dance convention cool and more palatable. All the staff we interacted with were pleasant and helpful. It definitely checked all the boxes for me. In terms of it's location in Vancouver, it is not right in the heart of downtown, just a little outside.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are definitely more spacious and afford excellent views....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Westin Bayshore is right by Stanley Park and a great location for walking to the park or going downtown. I have stayed there several times over the years but it has sadly lost a bit of it's charm. No longer do the doormen wear uniforms like they did, and in fact it was often without a doorman. The entrance was sterile. I remember a fireplace many years ago that added some character but that is now gone and the walk to the tower rooms was like any hotel in North America, sadly.

Room Tip: get a room that looks over the Park or the Harbor
Sherwood Park, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our stay was due to a conference, which this hotel was well equipped to accomodate. Rooms were equipped with the expected amenities, and although no "wow" factor, the quality, comfort and cleanliness was top notch. Ensure to get a room in "The Tower" to get a harbour view.

The hotel was ideal for a 300 attendee conference, and only criticism was buffet lunches were very average. Location is great for walking to great shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Get a room in The Tower for views of the harbour.
1 Thank Pyke88
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I finally had an opportunity to stay the Westin Bayshore again. The last time I was here was in 1994. Needless to say, it has since been revamped and upgraded. Located right on Coal Harbour, the Bayshore is only 2 blocks from Robson Street and 2 blocks from Denman Street, easy walking distance to shopping and eating. The front desk was superb at check-in, very friendly and helpful, courteous. The valet parking personnel were also very nice and efficient. Special requests to the room were handled expediently. I wanted real glass to drink from (they only provide plastic cups, which is a peeve of mine because it feels cheap) and I also needed a bandage for a small cut.
I always sleep well at a Westin in the Heavenly Bed. I don't even want to get up for meetings in the morning!
They now offer extra Starwood points or $5 off meals if you choose not to have housekeeping services on a daily basis, which was nice. The day I did decide to have housekeeping come in and take away used towels and clean up, the service was okay, just minimal. Cups were not restocked and the carpet was not vacuumed. I should have just not had them come in and accumulate the extra points on my account.
The tower rooms with the water view are spectacular. You can watch seaplanes taking off and landing. Yachts and boats with Christmas lights were cruising around as well. Stanley Park and the Coast Mountains were in the background. It was worth paying a couple of dollars more for the view.
I would definitely recommend the Westin Bayshore to people visiting Vancouver.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Bayshore while in Vancouver to see the Cirque du Soleil. The location is great and an easy walk most places, especially Stanley Park. Unfortunately the facility is in need of maintenance and once you leave the ground floor lobby. The rug in the hallway was shabby and stained and the hallway walls were chipped and faded. We had a room on the end corner with a wonderful view of the yacht harbor and park which would have been perfect had the windows shut properly. Since they didn't and we were there December there was a constant freezing breeze blowing through the room. Also, any smallest noise on the walking path below seemed to be amplified when it reached the room. We didn't mind the early float planes since we are early risers but the late night party boats were a bit bothersome. Had the windows actually closed, it probably would not have been such a problem.
Although my wife was able to sleep on the bed, I found it to be overly firm and woke several times during the night stiff and painful. Having the December winds in the room probably didn't help. The room was clean and not quite as shabby as the hallway but generally not up to what I would have expected from a Westing. The corners of the shower had bad caulk lines with mold visible behind them. The only amenities provided were a small bottle of shampoo, a small bottle of conditioner, a small bottle of lotion, and two bars of soap. Oh, there was one robe, too. There was no closet as such but an area for hanging clothes in the bathroom instead, so don't think of hanging anything that shouldn't get damp. There was also no ventilation fan in the bathroom so it really did get damp.
Although I have gotten used to hunting for outlets in most hotel rooms, I can usually find at least one somewhere within two meters of the bed so that I can plug in my phone which I use as an alarm clock. But all the outlets at the Westing were not only already used, but over used with three or more devices plugged into one outlet. I had to plug the phone in at the desk and hope I would hear it (although the float planes actually worked just fine and started at about 6AM which was when I wanted to get up anyway).
We were also bitten by the $36 a night parking which we were not warned about in advance and not prepared for. It seems that the hotel does not have any of it's own parking and had never made any provisions for it even though it was surrounded by open land when it was first built. As a result, they have to rent spaces at nearby buildings at market rates.
The one saving grace was that the staff was outstanding. They were helpful and very polite. I agree that the "Green" program is a sham and shame on the bean counter that thought it up. They give you a $5 voucher so that they can employ less people when they charge $28 for breakfast. Most hotels ask people to reuse towels to save water but no room cleaning at all? For $5?!? That's insulting to both their customers and staff. The desk clerk seemed embarrassed to even mention it.
I think that next time I got to Vancouver I'll probably look at other nearby properties first.

Room Tip: End rooms have a great view but are noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed top floor corner unit overlooking the harbour--excellent view. Very clean rooms and nicely decorated. Enjoyed that it was a bit out of downtown so it was quieter--heard more seagulls than cars. Great staff, though I didn't have any problems that required them. Excellent location for a nice walk around Stanley Park. Highly recommend and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Nice corner units.