“Stanley Park at the Doorstep”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at the Westin Bayshore for two nights in a double room in the main hotel. The best feature of this hotel is its location to Stanley Park as it located on the Coal Harbour seawall which links to the Park. The second best feature is the view as most rooms will lookout to Coal Harbour. The double bed room we stayed in had been updated to the Westin standards. The lounge chair in the room was due for a an cleaning but that was the only minor thing of note. The room had a fridge, a safe and a flat screen TV.

From this location you can access Robson Street about 3 blocks up from the water. Though we didn’t use, the fitness centre had updated equipment and the indoor pool looked to be in good condition. There is also an outdoor pool but being November was more a feature to look at.

The staff were very helpful and professional. The self parking is a bit of a walk as not in main hotel or connected to elevators, fees were 27.00 a night.

All in all, a nice place to stay and enjoy the Stanley Park while you are at it.

Room Tip: Request a harbour view room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Skibug_10

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Spent a couple nights here and found the service to be excellent. The room was very clean and comfortable. Great location and very reasonably priced, particularly for Vancouver. If you're in Vancouver for business or pleasure and want a comfortable reasonably priced room for your stay you would be well advised to book this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Arrived early for a 4 nite stay. Room was not ready but that was expected. The front desk woman was very friendly asking if they could store our luggage and they would phone when the room was ready. After a little more than two hours and no call we called the hotel. Yes the room was ready and they were expecting us to return ?? The frt desk also asked on check in if we were light sleepers and would prefer away from the elevator. We said yes however the room was steps away from the elevators which are quite noisy. On check out we were told there are rooms closer to the elevator, I guess we were lucky not to be in one of those!! We still like the hotel however a better sense if cleanliness and free wifi in the room would be expected given the hotels rates. Still a good place to stay

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you want a good sleep, this hotel certainly provides the right mattress and pillows. However, two times we were interrupted with the cleaning staff entering the room while we were still there. Once in the evening and once early in the morning. A quick knock and then before having a chance to answer they walked in. Not impressive

Room Tip: we asked for an upgrade for a view, it didn't cost that much more. And what a view, beautiful l...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

After many year's absence from this old favorite hotel of mine, I recently returned while on a 3 day business trip. It was a pleasure to be met by an old familiar face....Richard Chew, the friendly bellman.....a great ambassador for the hotel. He made me feel like I had returned home after a long trip and even went above and beyond by sending a snack plate up to my room, along with a personal note of welcome. Not your standard greeting and made me feel truly welcome. A great individual and a credit to the brand.
One other note.....the Westin people need to bring back Trader Vic's or an equivalent.

Room Tip: Tower rooms on the water side have a spectacular view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a great hotel with amazing service. We were initially booked to stay for 2 nights arriving late in the evening on the first night, however our flight into Vancouver was delayed over 8 hours and hence we didn't make it until the next morning. I called Starwood reservations once and advised them of our delay to which they made notes in the system, and then called the hotel reservations directly the second time after our flight was further delayed to advise them of our delay and avoid paying for the first night and was advised it would all be ok. My only gripe is that this was not the case on checkout and we were charged in full for 2 nights.
In terms of the hotel itself though I would choose the Westin to stay again without any hesitation! The rooms are well set out, large, and very comfortable. They can be a little noisy at times as we could hear our neighbours above occasionally, however it wasn’t an uncomfortable level. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was large and functionally designed. The Starbucks coffee in room was also a welcome addition! We were very surprised to find a gift in our room a few hours after arrival too! We arrived back after exploring the city to find a cheese platter, along with a bottle champagne and a card saying that they hope our trip gets better after our flight delays. This was not requested, nor had we made any complaints to receive this, so it shows the staff care and are always looking to make their guests feel welcome and comfortable.
All in all I would love to stay at the Westin Bay shore again on my next trip to Vancouver and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose a tower room facing the bay and Stanley park!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Booked for four nights stayed for one. Would have given one star however the check out lady was empathetic and did not charge me the shorten my stay $50 penalty. Also the fitness room and pool, although small was clean and well maintained.

Often things like a poor check in and shoddy Hskp can be overlooked if staff interaction is positive. I should clarify though that the daily hskp was fine it was the lack of a deep clean. Could write our names in the dust behind the couch cushions. At the base of one of the corner coffee tables, our boys collected five items(penny, cue tip, bobby pin, small hair ball and broken luggage clip). Housekeepers have to clean a room in 30minutes regardless so anything more thourough than this is probably a management directive.

So for me, what set my teeth on edge was the following. Our accountant told me to have my parking listed seperately. I had a booked a package so the check in person wasn't willing to help. It made no difference to me how they charged me or whether they had to charge me more or change me to a higher rate as my company was paying for it. Next up was Mohammed the supervisor who phoned me up to say he was told what I wanted and couldn't do it. Can accounting do it I asked and he said no. I don't know how their system works but it seems unrealistic to me that once I am placed on a package it can't be changed to anything else. Next I wasted my time writing a note to the front office manager asking if someone could help. Her response was to leave me a voice mail suggesting that as she understood it, I was being underhanded asking the hotel to break out a parking charge that didn't really exist as I was on a package. Please is no one trained enough to give me some options rather than no, no, no. How about "in order to do this sir, this is would be your new rate and I will list your parking seperatly".

The result was giving up my suite at the Bayshore for $300 a night and booking in at the Fairmont for $549. It was worth it to avoid the hassle.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites on the third floor #300 offered a very restricted view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family