“Perfect location to visit Stanley Park, beautiful views”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Love this hotel. Bit of a hassle confirming connecting rooms, but all fell into place after that.
Excellent customer service on site.
Great little pub resto in the back (cheaper than the big restaurant) and more kid friendly.
Great outdoor pool! Very warm.
You can exercise in the gym and watch your kids swim in the indoor pool!
Usual comfy beds.
Minutes from Stanley Park.
From door to door around park is a perfect 10k run.
I will stay again!

Room Tip: get a view is have $$$ - they are nice but not essential if trying to save money - lots of views wh...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Nothing was HORRIBLE here... just not what I expected.
Too far from sites/activities in the city - with the exception of Stanley park.
Deluxe room was not so delux: I know it's nit-picky but plastic cups individually wrapped in plastic really cheapens a room. The room was just ok - nothing fancy. Too much $ for what you get.
Check out and billing was a problem (still not resolved).
Too 'convention-y'...
If you want quiet - it's fine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank rjharv
Management R, Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear rjHarv:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your feedback. I am sorry that our team and our hotel did not exceed your expectations.

We have received feedback from our guests about their preferences for cups versus glasses in our guest rooms. Therefore, to provide choices to different cultures and lifestyles, we opted to provide hygienically wrapped cups and glasses in every room.

In reference to your billing issue, I am aware and was very happy to know that our team member took responsibility for the error and reached out to you via email with an apology and also offered restitution. Thank you for acknowledging her efforts and for your understanding.

Be well.
Michael Farquharson
Director of Rooms

Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Westin Bayshore has it all, right on the water, not many hotels can say that, nice swimming pool (heated out door), great facilities fitness, spa etc. Good mix of common areas and lots of space. Not to mention an in house starbucks. Two restaurants and a bar.
The room we stayed in over looked the water and Seaplane base, good size, big sliding windows and modern, it was high up and very quiet for the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore for two days to celebrate our anniversary. My husband surprised me by writing to the manager in advance to let them know it was our wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a high floor room with fantastic views of the harbour. The hotel also had an anniversary card from all the team awaiting us along with a bottle of red wine and a cheese platter in the room. Thank you to the thoughtful Michael Fargaharson for organising this surprise.

The hotel was modern, clean and had helpful staff. It was conveniently located for exploring the beautiful Stanley Park.

It is worth paying extra to have the fantastic breakfast at the hotel. It has an extensive buffet with high quality foods which set us up for the day.

The hotel offers complimentary Wifi in the hotel lobby which was useful.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were very happy with our decision to stay here. I can't fairly comment on the price of the room as we got the Friends and Family Rate. However, we didn't take advantage of the spa or restaurant because the prices were outrageous.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've stayed in a number of different Westin's around the globe and I come to expect the standard amentities that come with the brand - comfy Heavenly beds and clean large bathrooms. This hotel did not disappoint!

We came to Vancouver to celebrate my father's birthday and the Westin took care of us. They upgrade our room to a harbor facing room and provided us vouchers for complimentary buffet breakfast. My father really appreciated this gesture and it set the tone for the rest of the stay in Vancouver. It was truly wonderful to wake up each morning with a harbor view and a direct view of Grouse Mountain and Stanley Park.

The location near Coal Harbor is really lovely and quiet. You're away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown area and places you at the footsteps of Stanley Park. Highly recommend taking a bike around the park. Ask the concierge for coupons/discounts for bike rentals. All the rental places are on Denman Street.

The one issue I had with the location is that you are on one side of Vancouver, meaning it's not central to everything in Vancouver. If you plan to spend most of your time near Stanley Park and want something away from the noise of the city, then this really is the place to stay. But as a city girl, I found it inconvenient when I wanted to try restaurants in Yaletown or Gastown - both require a cab or bus. The good news is the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to and from the heart of downtown and drops off in the Robson Street shopping area. I only wish this shuttle ran every 1/2 hour instead of once and hour and only until 5:30pm.

So why the 4 instead of 5 star review? Everything about this was 5 star except for the service. Except for the first day of check in where the lady checking us in was lovely, the staff for the most part seem pretty cold and reserved and there was always a line to speak with someone either at the front desk or concierge. I felt bad for the concierge b/c there was only one lady and it was obvious that she needed an extra hand with the line that was looming before her. Also upon check out, I noticed that the final bill included a $70+ charge for breakfast. Remember those vouchers we got upon check in? Although we gave those vouchers to our waitress, apparently they still tried to charge us for it (yes, the buffet breakfast at the hotel is over $30/person!). Mistakes happen which is fine but the person I spoke to at the front desk treated me with suspicion - "guilty before innocent" - he said he had to investigate the situation and get back to me. I had to go down to the front desk and resolve it in person and after some dispute, he finally conceded and finally took the charge off the bill, but not without an attitude. I really should not have had to go through a trial to get this rectified!

I would consider staying here again but only if I had a good deal. Otherwise my preference would be to stay closer to downtown.

A few tips: there are two buildings associated with this hotel. I stayed in the older side of the hotel but found our corner room to be very nice. I have read others having bad rooms here but maybe it helped that we were on a Starwood Preferred floor. The tower is the newer construction but I can't comment on those rooms since I didn't stay there. They are further from the front desk. Also the prices for WiFi would be considered extortion. Best to limit your usage to the lobby where the connection is free. You do have to ask for a code at the front desk and you're limited to 2 hours. However I found that my iPhone stayed connected the whole time when I was at the hotel (if you leave and come back, you'll have to ask for another code).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lucidlilies
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Recently booked 3 rooms for family vacation. From check-in to check-out, I found the staff to be extremely helpful, friendly, accomodating!! The rooms were large, bright with beautiful views of the harbour! Right next to Stanley Park, and easy walk to restaurants, boat rentals, floatplane rentals. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family