“Excellent for a rainy Vancouver day”

Museum of Anthropology
Ranked #4 of 360 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore traditional and contemporary art from Northwest Coast First Nations and other cultures across the world. See magnificent Indigenous carvings, weavings and contemporary artworks in a spectacular building overlooking mountains and sea. Admire the world’s largest collection of works by acclaimed Haida artist Bill Reid, including his famous cedar sculpture The Raven and the First Men. Explore the Museum’s Multiversity Galleries where more than 16,000 objects from around the world are displayed. Visit the award-winning Koerner Ceramics Gallery, displaying a collection of European ceramics unique to North America. Stroll the Museum Grounds, where monumental Haida houses, poles and Musqueam house posts capture the dramatic beauty of traditional Northwest Coast architecture and design. Enjoy a wide range of special exhibitions and public programs, including free guided gallery walks. Visit the MOA shop and relax in Café MOA. MOA is situated on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Musqueam people.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The highlight of the museum is of course, the "totem" poles. Do the free tour, it's worth it. The guide is very informative and gives a great overview of the museum, including lots of historical tidbits and anecdotes.
This museum is more than just the poles, and has a great interactive cataloging system that explains the plethora of objects on display.
My only complaint is the very poor signage once you are in the university on how to get to and from the museum. As an out of towner, it would be helpful to have clear public transport directions on the museum website.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,097)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

After spending a month touring Vancouver, the Rockies & Whistler I was surprised there wasn't more information on the First Nations and a lot of museums I visited seemed to skim over the subject. I left the MoA till my last day in Vancouver and it was certainly one of the highlights. The museum is small, but the exhibits are top quality.

I hung round for a free guided tour and I learned a heck of a lot more than I think I would have wandering alone. I was fascinated with the culture, and mostly impressed with the wood carving / work. Still amazed the traditional square boxes have three corners bent from a single piece of wood, rather than cut.

It took longer than I expected to get to using public transport, but well worth the trip. To cut a long story short I spent longer than planed and ended up having to franticly run to the airport. No regrets - I will be back on my next visit (allowing for more time).

Reviewed October 13, 2012

A must-see for any visitors to Vancouver. It houses one of the largest collections of First Nations and Asian art in North America. it affords spectacular views of the surrounding inlets and straits. The campus the museum is located on is gorgeous as well and it was a really nice way to spend a few hours.

1  Thank jack m
Reviewed October 13, 2012

One can easily spend 3-4hours in this museum. The exhibhits of the First people are very educational and there is expansive collection in the multicultural galleries it's easy to pass time if you have an interest in the cultures of the world, we took the free guided tour which was really great as our guide Chris was really engaging. A worthwhile trip.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our party of six caught a number 4 bus in Granville Street [have coins ready] which took about half an hour to reach UBC and then we had to find the Museum. We returned by taxi through some lovely suburbs and I think the $25 cab ride was worthwhile.
On the walk to the Museum, we passed the Rose Garden, which has stunning views back over Vancouver and the mountains. Unfortunately we missed the Nitrobe Memorial Garden, which is a lovely Japanese garden also on campus.
The Museum has a cafe, so we grabbed an espresso and sat outside under an umbrella prior to entry. The Museum is a very attractive space and the totem poles on display, together with the other northwest coast artifacts, are well worth the trip out from central Vancouver.
I stumbled into a small gallery which had on display an extensive collection of tin glazed pottery, covering several centuries and a number of countries. A surprising and outstanding find!
The Museum has a gift and book store. If you want to see the gardens as well as the Museum, then leave 2-3 hours, not including travel time. And get a map from the information service on campus. Perhaps there is one online?