“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Devon
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

After spending many days looking for our ideal hotel in Vancouver we chose the Sutton Place and were not disappointed. The Hotel is in the perfect location, has a very inviting lobby area, especially magical with all the christmas trees and lights! The restaurant was first class and we particularly loved the bar where you can also order lighter meals. The staff were extremely helpful and polite. My only tip would be not to have a grand suite room on a lower floor. As it was our honeymoon we treated ourselves to a grand suite. The rooms are stunning but the first room we were shown on the 5th floor overlooks a filthy side street and roof tops of shops. Choose one on the 17th floor or higher, the views from these are absolutely stunning as you can see both lovely city buildings and mountains beyond.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Malibu, California
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in September. I wanted a nice hotel that was centrally located within walking distance of everything and that is exactly what I got.
The hotel itself is a solid five star. I think it is all suites. My suite had a whole wall of floor to ceiling windows that gave me fabulous views of Vancouver day and night. It was so picturesque just to sit in my room and look at the city.
The staff in the hotel was very courteous and helpful. Everything was commensurate with a five star hotel except the one breakfast I ate there which was more of a three star presentation. But I do not penalize this hotel for the restaurant because there were Starbucks galore and a plethora of other restaurants within 200 meters of the hotel. It is located just off the most popular street in Vancouver so everything is within a short walk including the waterfront which is a must see.
One of the highlights of my stay was eating in a Chinese restaurant which sat hundreds of people and had about 20 cooks in the open kitchen manning woks and cooking up a storm. The place is Hon's Wun Ton House on Robson, near Stanley Park. Sit in the back facing the cooks and watch them go to town preparing food for hundreds of people. The food was good and very cheap. I think it is one of the best and most entertaining restaurants I have ever been in.
A second must “see and eat” place is Mink Chocolate Café near the waterfront. They make their chocolates there and have a chocolate drink which is richer than Bill Gates. If you love chocolate than this is a place to go.
The other must do thing in Vancouver is take the one day trip to Victoria, the capital of BC. Then have tea at the Fairmont Princess Hotel. I cost $60 but it is well worth it. And Victoria in mind numbingly beautiful.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Taniquan
Toronto
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Overall a great Hotel, very nice, great downtown location for my meetings with almost everything within walking distance.
Great for Business or for pleasure.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 19, 2009

What a fantastic hotel.

Family of four, 2 adults, 2 boys (13 & 8) on a whirlwind weekend tour of gastronomy, cycling, & the Capilano suspension bridge. We were able to book an excellent rate for a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen and 1 1/2 baths through their own website, including Valet parking. Excellent!
Even though the Twilight cast was supposedly staying at the hotel, we never saw them (at the hotel, we did catch Rob Pattinson & friend briefly on the street), it was that private. We did see the fans, but they remained innocuously on the sidelines, kept at bay by the superb staff and when I say superb, I mean superb.
I have stayed at hotels from Victoria to Italy, Connecticut to the Bahamas, pensiones without stars to 5+ and this is absolutely hands down my favourite for staff.
Every whim, every question, every query we had was met and answered with friendly professionalism that made tipping a pleasure instead of a norm. We did not have
ONE unfriendly encounter. Even when the shower faucet went around the bend a few times too often, the maintenance man was on hand within minutes, super friendly and fixed in less than 10 minutes....on a Sunday morning...before 9a.m. Need I say more?

The pool was excellent with a lovely spa and one of the most powerful steamrooms, compact and private located in the changing rooms, I have ever encountered. I swear it took 5 years off my skin, it was that wonderful and I always had it on my own!!! Even better! We hit Gerard's one night for a drink as well, and though a bit pricy, was very nice and introduced us to Kentucky Bourbon, Yay!

To finalize, if you want to be treated like a star without being hounded like one, enjoy exuberantly professional staff, be centrally located, surround yourself with like-minded families, the off -celebrity and normal people interested in spending maybe a little more to get a little more...stay here.

Just a sidenote for the foodies: Chambar, Chambar Chambar!!! & Medina Cafe for Brunch. Totally stupendous, original. C'est Magnifique & Echt Geweldig!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank tobster2772
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We booked three nights on Hotwire ($86USD/night) for our honeymoon. The first room we were given was small and dated with a hard bed that sloped into the center with a view of a run-down apartment building (room 1008). We requested another room and were immediately moved to a larger room with feather top mattress, large flat screen tv and a view of the city (room 2012). Staff is very curtious and helpful. Hotel is close enough to walk to many destintions and shopping. IGA market across the street is a great place to stop for snacks and drinks. We usually stay at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver a block a way and for the price difference, this was worth trying out. No visible recycling program was an issue.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2travel040
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Having stayed here a year ago (in the hotel), this year I booked a suite in La Grande Residence for two nights. Having just arrived after a very long inter continental journey which involved 2 delayed flights, you can imagine my disappointment and frustration when told that they did not have a suite available, and could only provide me with 2 interconnected hotel rooms instead. Although the staff at reception were extremely apologetic, this did not make up for the fact that I did not get the accommodation I had booked, despite booking and paying for it more than 2 weeks previously. Because the booking had been made and paid for through a travel website, no compensation could be offered, apparently. Instead, they offered complimentary parking (we had no car), free wi fi (we had no laptop with us). They also offered us complimentary breakfast, which we accepted. It was very good, but on the second morning we found ourselves getting into an animated discussion with the waiter who tried to charge us for 'extras' at breakfast, in spite showing him the voucher the staff at reception had given us.

All that said, other than the restaurant staff (who were inconsistant), all the other staff we encountered provided exceptional customer service, and were attentive, friendly and polite. The overall standard of the hotel was high. Furniture and decor was of a high quality and generally classic in style. We used the business centre and the pool and spa, which we well equipped. We would have preferred not to have to walk through the foyer in our robes in order to access the pool, but found the facilities to be pleasant and clean.

The location of the hotel is superb. It is set in the heart of the city with Vancouver's famous shopping Robson Street, a stone's throw away. For a delicious dinner in pleasant surroundings, you could do worse than visit Joey's (grill and bar) directly across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband, 11 year old son and myself just returned from a nine night stay in a one bedroom with full kitchen in the Residence side of the Sutton Place in Vancouver. It is a wonderful, clean place to stay. There is an IGA supermarket right across the street, next to a fantastic french restaurant (Le Crocodile). We were visiting family and having the wine store on the ground floor was extremely convenient for buying the hostess gifts. I had a massage in the spa while there and it was wonderful too. It is right in the middle of downtown, so for people looking for quiet, this might not be it. We live in NYC and are used to traffic noises, but it could be disturbing to someone who likes the windows open. My only two dings against it would be the parking and the safe. The parking lot is not large, with very small hard to find spaces. After the first time parking, we used the valet. That was wonderful like the rest of the hotel. Our room safe was located in the closet near the ceiling. I am 5'4". My 6'1" husband had to work the safe because I could not reach it without a chair. In fact, it was up so high I could walk under it. Two small nit picks for a hotel we will return to when we go back to Vancouver.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family