“Great property in an excellent location”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #28 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Toronto
“Great property in an excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Older established hotel that's well maintained and centrally located to many popular tourist attractions. Rooms are slightly upscale with windows that span the entire wall. Rooms on higher floors facing East will not only see partial mountains in the distance but an impressive view of the downtown core. The indoor heated swimming pool and jacuzzi were just fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gibsons, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I only stay at the Sutton when I am in Vancouver :) Sometimes I make a trip to Vancouver just to stay at the Sutton because I always feel pampered and taken care of in everyway. The staff are friendly, efficient and always there to help in whatever way they can, the hotel is gorgeous from top to bottom!!! I love it there it truly is my home away from home I would suggest this hotel to anyone and everyone, you will not be disapponited I guarantee it!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is fabulous!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently was booked for a conference in Vancouver, and I invited my husband to join me. We chose the Sutton Place because they provide one-bedroom apartments (with complete kitchens and living rooms) in addition to traditional hotel rooms. The larger space of the one bedroom suite allowed my husband to have a 3 day writing retreat while I was a short distance away at the conference. We had breakfast together in the dining room, he made his own lunch and ate it on the balcony at the patio table/chair, overlooking the city. Then we were able to eat out for dinner when I got back, with a myriad of great restaurant choices right in the immediate vicinity. This made for an affordable little romantic getaway, during a normal work period for both of us. The Sutton had good deals on 3 night packages, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Our particular package discounted the 2nd and 3rd nights, and gave us valet service and wifi included. The one bedroom suites are in the process of being renovated -- ask for one of the updated ones when you book. Not all of them are done yet. Ours was still waiting for refurbishment, so the bathroom looked tired, and the heating wasn't working properly --even with help from maintenance. The thermostat wouldn't shut off, so we needed to keep opening the window to cool things down. (Not a big deal, but it's part of what they need to fix). The only other negative was the WiFi. We weren't aware that there were a number of alternate bogus hotspot options that LOOK like the Sutton, but aren't. Be sure to get clear instructions from the front desk on which choice to select when you are trying to set it up. All in all we had a great time. The staff were lovely -- friendly, helpful, engaging. The area is great -- lots of good shopping, restaurants, and you're right in the heart of the city, so there's lots available right within walking distance. Good amenities in the hotel; we didn't have time to use them all! I would certainly go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the suites that have already been refurbished.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in late September. When we arrived their systems were down and they were unable to electronically check us in. The staff was very kind and professional, even though they were not electronically able to check customers in.

We booked through the AmEx Fine Hotels and Rates program. We were given an upgrade upon check-in to a very nice suite on the ninth floor of the hotel. The room was nicely appointed, and it was very clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate.

We had the daily AmEx breakfast downstairs. That was okay, basically a way to fill up before the day, but nothing spectacular. We did have dinner in the lounge one night and that was really good.

The staff we encountered were very friendly and there were plenty of times the concierge had to help us out.

The hotel is centrally located and it is possible to walk to many of the attractions.

The only downside, I left the hotel with little holes in some of my brand new clothes. I can only assume that maybe there was a moth living in one of the closets in the room. That is the reason for the four stars instead of five.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Duncan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Picked up a Hotwire 'deal' for a 5 star property and got this 3.5 star. Other than that we had a good stay. Large bright one bedroom suite (apartment) was very enjoyable. Good location and good staff. Room was quiet for downtown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Sutton years ago and so when heading to Vancouver for business I thought I would stay again. I checked in without any problems, the room was clean and bright and has everything you may need.

I had other business partners arriving so I went to get more information on where to go for dinner, shopping etc. There were 2 people at the concierge desk one of which was helping another guest and I was helped by the other. He was very short, not overly friendly and it felt like I was putting him out by asking multiple questions. I had remembered that they offer a Sutton Shopper which provides discounts at stores in the area and when I asked for one, although he printed it off it felt like such an effort for him. Once the other person had finished with his guest, he was very cheery, offered me additional discount offers, suggested more restaurants etc. He jumped in just as I was about to walk away, but regardless of who is helping you, I would expect friendly service.

Upon check out I had asked for a printed receipt for my room. Because my company booked this through my travel agent, they weren’t able to print out my receipt. That isn’t very guest friendly when you are travelling for business and you need to submit expenses. It was just a frustrating process where the front desk staff were not very friendly or helpful in explaining the discrepancy.

Overall the hotel is great, it is an ideal location, facilities are beautiful. I was just disappointed by the service since I had expected nothing from the best from the Sutton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was recently in Vancouver on a business trip staying in an adequate 3-star hotel downtown. My spouse joined me for the weekend and we decided to upgrade to a 5-star through Hotwire. The Sutton Place Hotel was revealed to be the choice. I have stayed in the hotel several times before and found it to be reasonable but definitely not 5-star. Upon check in, we gathered our keys and found ourself standing in a room with two single beds. This room would be useful as an adjoining room for a family but I would suspect is almost unrentable outside of that. The front desk advised that with Hotwire bookings you get "run of house" rooms - fine - but I expect to receive a room suitable for 90% of travellers. By the time it was all done we could have paid the regular rate for L'Hermitage and stayed in a true 5-star hotel. I would have expected much more integrity from both Hotwire and Sutton Place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple