“Beautiful lobby/Convention Rooms...but rooms in need of serious Reno's”

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Abbotsford, Canada
“Beautiful lobby/Convention Rooms...but rooms in need of serious Reno's”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband & I have been staying here at The Sutton Place Hotel for the past 10 years for our Annual Egg Producer Meetings every March! We love their lobby & all their convention rooms but have noticed the last couple of years that the beds are needing replacing as well as their bedding! Their duvets inside the duvet covers have next to no feathers/filling which is not acceptable...last year when we were staying there I was cold every night & because the mattresses were so uncomfortable, I did not sleep there for those 3 nights. This year when we came for our AGM's my husband asked the hotel if they had updated their beds yet & but he was told that if we booked the top floor (for extra $$) we would have a better bed & bedding!
Well we checked in a couple of weeks ago & true enough, we had a much more comfortable bed with nice bedding so I definitely slept better this stay. We were still surprised though to see that the room was exactly the same as all the lower floors with all the antique furniture & very outdated!
Because we have stayed at several other hotels in Vancouver over the years, we are really hoping The Sutton Place does some serious renovations in their rooms in the future! For being such a lovely hotel with amazing service, it is a shame to see their rooms & especially their beds, not keeping up to good standards!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep well & you like warm bedding, make sure you stay on their top floors as all...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
niagara falls
Reviewed March 23, 2013

beautiful classic. comfy chairs in the lobby . helpful staff. my room was on the 6th floor facing the intersection of burrard and robson. i could see a piece of the north shore mountains in the distance. i enjoyed sitting in my comfy chair facing the ceiling to floor windows; what a view of the city! just as pretty at night. the bed was perhaps the most comfortable hotel bed i've ever slept on. room was clean, luxuriously furnished and very comfortable. continental breakfast the next morning was excellent. very good coffee. i thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: views facing north are excellent (towards robson st.)
Toronto, ON
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip and was very impressed. Lovely hotel, nice rooms, incredibly comfortable bed, and even though I didn't get to enjoy the pool or fitness centre it's nice that they were available.

It's in a great location and practically on Robson Street if you want to get some shopping in.

Room Tip: Upper floor was quiet.
Toronto
Reviewed March 21, 2013

On my business trip I had a choice between “Four Seasons” and “Sutton Place” (on Burrard St). The “Four Seasons” was closer to the office, but Sutton had offered an apartment accommodation.
During my 4 week stay I received excellent service from the doormen, front desk, housekeepers, and other employees.
I had some issues with payments from my business card. This issue was professionally resolved in 5 min by front desk representative Aldrin, my needs with room preference were always completed by Henry (from desk). I was never told that “we cannot do”, instead I received a positive attitude, smile, and willingness to help.
On the weekend I went to Whistler, the concierge helped me to organize my trip with a map, directions, and location of the ski resort office.
Door men were fun and professional. No matter which side I approached the front door- they were always ready to open them for me, and again with a smile and welcome words.

Oleg

Room Tip: come to Sutton Place and they will take care of your needs
1 Thank olegToronto
Navid S, General Manager at Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sutton Place Hotel. We appreciate your many compliments, especially regarding the customer service elements provided by Henry and Aldrin at the Front Desk. Please rest assured that we will continue our pursuit for excellence in service.
Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This by far has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff are exceptional and helpful, anything that was needed was taken care of within a few minutes. It is very clean, updated and comfortable to stay at. Internet we did not get as you pay per day so we just went to Starbucks across the street and used the free wi-fi.

This place is central to walk any where in Vancouver and we did not need a car what so ever all week. This has to be one of the pedestrian friendly cities around as one does not need a car to get around and if so there is mass transportation.

I normally don't get excited about hotels as it is just a place to lay ones head but this place far exceeded my expectations and will be staying here any time I am in Vancouver.

Room Tip: We did not eat here at hotel as there are so many niche restaurants within walking distance. Shoppi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas M
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My son and I just returned from a four day stay at this property. We were pleasantly surprised to discover the wonderful service and amenities this property offers. The doormen were very polite and always opening doors for us (they were also appreciative when we tipped them). The lobby has a grande sort of feeling, and there is a delicious aroma that greets guests upon entering the hotel. Our room was on the 18th floor, and it had terrific views looking towards Robson Street with the North Shore mountains in the background. The room was well-appointed with the most comfortable beds that rival even Westin's beds. One night we ate in the Fleuri restaurant and it was delicious food - quite pricey but that is to be expected in a hotel restaurant. My son had their famous chocolate buffet for dessert and really enjoyed it. What we enjoyed most about this hotel was the location -- it's so close to shopping, restaurants, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and theatres. Next door is a wine shoppe and an IGA to pick up snacks and beverages. Around the other corner (on Robson st.) is a creperie that serves coffee and a crepes for $4.00 - my son loved the crepes there. Down Robson street a little further is The Thai House restaurant that has amazing food. The other thing we liked most about this hotel was the service - top notch. The attitudes of the hotel's employees: from the front desk staff to the servers in the restaurant, to the housekeeping staff are among the best employees we have experienced. We stayed at the hotel on promotional resident's rate (being resident's of B.C) which gave us $150 towards meals and beverages. Thus our dinner at the Fleuri was at no cost to us - what a bonus. We have stayed at many other Vancouver hotels but will definitely return to The Sutton Place Hotel. I LOVE this place!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms offer the best views of the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank time4me64
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Sutton Place for 1 night before traveling to Hawaii and then 3 nights when returning to Vancouver. The hotel is very clean and all staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our first stay was a bit loud with our room overlooking Robson and with some domestic drama that occurred in the hallway. Security had to visit the floor a couple of times leaving us to wonder if we should bother keeping our reservation for our return to Vancouver two weeks later.
We decided to keep our reservation because of the good rate. Upon arriving very late after a long flight, the front desk staff graciously upgraded us to a larger room. This was done without us requesting or complaining about our last experience and we thought this was a very nice surprise. The four of us with suitcases would have been quite crowded in the standard room for the 3 night stay.
After receiving a great rate, a nice upgrade and pleasant service, we will definitely contact this hotel again when staying downtown Vancouver.

Room Tip: Our first room overlooking Robson was quite loud with sirens etc outside, but our second room on the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family