“No children allowed, please.”

Pan Pacific Vancouver
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Our expectations were high looking foward to a 5 star hotel experience, harbour view charging an extra $50 per night this was the first of many little extra charges the Hotel would try to apply during our stay. We ellected to stay on the opposite side of the Hotel which looks onto the cargo port and nearby heliport area.
The rooms were pleasant and larger than most hotels, overall all staff were heplful and had a nice manner.
Unfortunately the Hotel lags behind most over it's "family friendly" approach, we were moved from the main bar area because the Hotel were unable to cater for children in a designated 'bar area'. We were given a table around the corner out of view from the main bar area totally isolated from other residents enjoying the live entertainment in this area. The internet room is located next to the shops and sighted well away from the main lounge so children could not be seen and monitored, a major concern in such a large Hotel, a further charge of $8 for 20 mins was required, again another disgrace considering it was a 5 star Hotel.
Swimming pool too small, any more than 10 in it and you were just standing around, however first class views from there.
Overall the Hotel was nice and the concierge service excellent, however my impression was the Hotel was geared towards the wealthy one / two nights stayers coming off cruise ships and the elderly hence the stuffy and cold atmosphere within the Hotel.
I would not recommend this Hotel for families irrespective of its 5-star status.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank DurhamJaps
Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)

Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed at the Pan Pacific before and after our cruise. Our first room was a city view we had an "07" room which was much larger than our in-laws harbor view room. I am very picky and the room exceeded my expectations. The beds were super comfortable and the bathroom had Aveda products. The room and public areas were very clean. We also enjoyed the bar and outside areas-great views! After our cruise we returned to the Pan Pacific, they had overbooked and we were asked if we were interested in going to the Fairmont Waterfront on them for the night. Since we had just gotten our on ship bill we happily went across the street. When looking on-line the Fairmont was much more expensive. It was a very nice hotel but I liked the Pan Pacific a little better. When we went back to thePP we were given a deluxe harbor-view room. It was one of the most spacious and beautiful rooms we have ever stayed in. We also enjoyed the turn-down service. Unfortunately we were in Vancouver during the power outage. The PP had no power (or water on our floor) for two days. I think they went above and beyond trying to help everyone. They put out a free buffet with snacks and drinks ( best sweet tea I ever had!) The entire staff never lost their patience during this. Even our room and bathroom were cleaned even though housekeeping had to do it all in the dark. I was very impressed with this. We decided to change hotels and they were able to get us a room at the Westin Bayshore. We paid $225 at the PP (with a $25 internet credit) and the Westin was $209. As we were leaving the PP the man getting the cab for us could not have been nicer. He had been there since the morning, you could tell he was tired but he was SO NICE. He showed my daughters the clock that stopped at 10:16 and took a picture of them, he then RAN to get us a cab. I felt everyone at the PP were so nice and very professional. We then moved on to the Westin- what a difference. I found the staff to not be as nice and service was so slow. The room was below average at best. The wall paper was bubbling up, the carpet was stained and the lamp shade was frayed. The room also had a "musty" scent. The room was in need of a MAJOR renovation in my opinion. Also, the room had a harbor view in the tower section, it was a good 5 minute walk from the lobby. One time we waited over 5 minutes for someone to get us a cab. This room did not even come CLOSE to either thePP or the Fairmont, but the price was very close to what I paid at the PP. I was happy for electricity, but the room was a HUGE disappointment, plus I felt the staff had an attitude. I would rate the three hotels (on a 1 poor-10 excellent scale) as follows: Pan Pacific 10, Fairmont 9 Westin Bayshore 2. If I am ever in Vancouver the Pan Pacific would be the only hotel for me.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank pbaw
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I opted to stay here after a 7-day Alaskan cruise on Regent that disembarked in Vancouver. We wanted a little more pampering after the luxury cruise, so we read the reviews on Tripadvisor and booked this hotel through its website, not the cruise line. We were not disappointed in the least. Literally, we walked off the ship and within a few steps, we were in the hotel lobby. Unbelievable convenience. Early check-in was no problem, and with a little luck, we got a harbor view room with no extra nudging. (Super front desk!) Beds were comfy, bathroom was elegant, quiet room with a great view. (We could see the cruise ships from our room.) A bonus: rental cars are bookable in the hotel, and pick-up in the underground parking for day trips to Victoria. Great munchies at the bar and fantastic views. Room service, a tad overpriced. A caveat: the room floor elevators descend/ascend all the way to the public underground parking which was a little
offsetting in a security-issue kind of way. I am sure the hotel has security walkers around for scrutiny, but it was an access that was notable. We would return without any question!

1  Thank HotelSnob2003
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We came to the Pan Pacific for 3 nights at the end of our 2 week tour around the Rockies.

For the city itself the hotel is ideally located and within walking distance of the main shopping district and Gastown. Whereas other hotels we stayed at during our holiday were a lot smaller, cosy and with a bit of 'old world' charm perhaps, the PP was entirely different. Large, cosmopolitan and a little impersonal. But this is probably to be expected at a large city hotel. Check in was swift and we were upgraded to a room with a 'partial' sea view. As you would expect from a 5 star hotel, all mod cons were present. We tried out the swimming pool and hot tub for 2 out of the 3 evenings there and found this to be a great way to finish off a busy day exploring. Again, as we found with virtually all of the hotels we stayed at during our holiday, the food was very expensive. Given the fact that within walking distance there are a myriad of restaurants catering for virtually taste there was no competition - out we went. The bar area within the hotel though is a pleasant enough place to sit for a drink and the views of the harbour, surrounding mountains and Stanley Park are pretty good to say the least. Service was very swift with all staff very friendly and attentive.

Our check out was a slightly different story. As our flight home was late afternoon we negotiated, without any trouble, a check out time of 3pm. We took a walk that morning only to arrive back at the hotel at lunchtime to find our room key had been de-activated. The duty manager came up to let us back in, after asking us for some ID. We then had housekeepers knocking on our door at 2.30pm which began to make us feel as though we were trespassing somehow. We decided to go 10 minutes early to find not only the aforementioned housekeepers loitering outside our room but also the same duty manager who let us back into our room earlier. I felt like asking them if there was a problem, as we felt slightly intimidated by this.

We would recommend the PP, but variety is the spice of life as they say. We've been there once and would probably try somewhere different should we go to Vancouver again.

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed at the Pan for 5 nights while at a conference in Van city. I loved the location..it was within walking distance to everything, 10 min to Stanley Park, 5 minutes to the mall, 10 minutes to Gastown, just perfect. What made my stay spectacular was the view from my room, amazing, with great sights of the water and moutains.
The convention centre is connected to the Pan, so it made my mornings a little easier. I caught a couple sunny days and I managed to spend some time by the pool, it almost felt like I was south, very nice pool. The guestrooms were very comfortable and very nicely decorated.
I had a cocktail event at the Hotel on my first night there, what a great location for hosting events, it must have been the views.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This is a beautifu hotel in a great location within easy walking distance of downtown and the historic section of Vancouver. Very large rooms. Ours was the cheapest city view, but we had a king bed, a sleep sofa for our son and a fold-a-way bed for our daughter and still had room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2008

An excellent hotel even with no electricity for a couple of days (glowsticks were provided)! The staff are always ready to assist and friendly, the room is bright and clean and, the bed and bathroom are both comfortable, spacious and clean. The skytrain 'Waterfront' stop is a 5-min walk and the 'Hop-On Hop-Off' bus & tram stop is just outside the hotel - very convenient for those who like city tours. Buffet breakfast in hotel is a tad pricey but there are other cheaper options nearby (food court, Tim Hortons, Bread Garden, Mink, etc).