“A Pre-Cruise Must”

Ranked #14 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Media, Pennsylvania
“A Pre-Cruise Must”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here immediately prior to a cruise on Holland-America. First of all a quality hotel on the water and attached to Canada Place. Down the street from Gas Town your dining and local options are very good. The best thing is that your bags for your cruise will be picked up right from your room and will meet you in your stateroom on board, leaving you an easy embarkment onto the ship. Very good quality rooms in a large hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Scott S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First of all let me say I grew up in Vancouver, and have stayed in a the Pan Pacific Hotel a number of times and have loved it. But not this time.

The Pan Pacific has a lot going for it ... great views, nice pool and waterfront location. It is a Vancouver landmark. That being said our 5 day stay was disappointing (make sure to check for the "BUT" below.)

I booked my room using Hotwire and called the hotel to confirm. I explain that my daughter did not like elevators and the customer service agent suggested we book a lower level room and she could use the stairs if necessary.

So there we are checking in to be told by the front desk that this was not possible! You can imagine how annoyed we were. We were early so we left our luggage and went off the lounge to decide if we were going to cancel our booking. The good news was once we got back they had worked this out .... but this was not a very good way to start off a vacation!

The room was small, and had no view (although I am sure some of this had to be because we were on lower floor). The room smelled funny too. The air conditioning worked well, the beds were comfortable but we had to keep asking for additional towels even though our room had 4 names on it.

The security team that had to escort my daughter up and down the stairs and bellmen at the front of the hotel were excellent. As far as the hotel goes the Pan Pacific is a tired 5 star hotel.

Now for the BUT ... the location is both good and bad.

As I mentioned above I live in Vancouver for more than 25 years and visit on a regular basis since moving. But I can't believe the number of aggressive vagrants in front of the hotel and area, making Vancouver's waterfront a uncomfortable place to be a tourist.

After eating in Gastown we stopped to take a few pictures and my family was repeatedly approached for money and having to deal with "uncomfortable" comments. Unfortunately the only thing we could do was keep walking. No time to shop for souvenirs or enjoy the warm summer air.

The front of the sky train station has at least 3 or 4 people laying on the side walk and many travel from Gastown to the front of the Pan Pacific and waterfront sky train station to pan handle. If I hadn't see this with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

I expected this farther down Carrell Street and Hastings but the pan handlers travel along Water street following the tourists as they walk through Gastown. I am doubtful I will stay at a Vancouver down town hotel with my family again and I am even thinking of another location for our annual shopping vacation.

I never once saw police walking the beat or any security on the streets. In comparison when we stayed in down town Atlanta police and or security is visible. Not in Vancouver!

The Pan Pacific Hotel's security and front staff where excellent, but she has become a tired 5 start hotel, and the neighbourhood vagrants in down town Vancouver make for a very disappointing location for a vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Corner rooms can have both a city view and harbour view.
Herne Bay
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We treated ourselves to 2 nights here after having travelled in BC and the Rockies. Amazing hotel well situated close to Gastown and the water front. Room was lovely with an amazing bathroom. We had room service, watched baseball on the big screen while looking at the lights In the harbour. living the dream!
The breakfast buffet was superb. A couple of things to mention.
The receptionist claimed they could not get us any Earl Grey tea bags for the room which seeing they had them in the restaurant seemed odd. The swimming pool, outside admittedly outside and on the eight floor might have been a little warmer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view and not too close to the lifts. We had a room close to them. The...
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here one night in late August. When we got there, no one asked to help with our luggage. It looked like a cruise ship had just come into port and they were very overwhelmed with all of the luggage coming off the ship. Luggage was everywhere on the street. We checked in early (11AM) and we were pleasantly surprised our room was available for us. The front staff was very friendly. Our room was overlooking the harbor on the 11th floor. It had a great view of the cruise ships in port. The room was very clean and spacious for two people. That night, we got back to the hotel around 11PM. The escalator was out of service and had a sign telling us to use the elevators. When we walked over to the elevators, there was a sign saying to use the escalator to access the hotel rooms. It made no sense since the escalator was out of service. We walked over to the concierge explained to them the confusion. They were well aware and showed us an alternate way to get upstairs,which was even more confusing why they didn't have a sign pointing to a different way. The bed was comfortable and had a variety of pillows to choose from to sleep at night. Shower had ok pressure, not the worst but not the best either. We had heard some of the seaplanes taking off late in the afternoon but since it was during the day it did not bother us. Unfortunately, we wanted to sleep a little later than 7AM and we were unable to. You hear every seaplane taking off in the harbor. They take off every five minutes, starting at 7AM. It is impossible to sleep. If I was to stay in Vancouver again, I would probably stay across the street at the Fairmont, which does not have rooms right on top of the harbor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I would have to say that while my stay was fine, if I were to cruise out of Vancouver again, I would probably save myself some money and not stay at the Pan Pacific.

This was to be a "girls' trip" and I wanted it to be special and convenient so spent a little more to stay at the 5* Pan Pacific. Upon arriving, the first person I saw outside the cab was a "police officer" in short, short vinyl hot pants and knee-high leather boots. We had just so happened to arrive on the day that the convention center (same building as the Pan) was having an Anime convention. The feel of a 5* property is greatly diminished when you have comic book characters and roaming groups of Little Bo Peeps wandering around the hotel lobby. While I appreciate that there was little the Pan staff could do about this because the convention center is directly connected to the Pan... this leaves the fact that the convention center is directly connected to the Pan. In addition, there is no key card swipe needed to access the elevators to the guest rooms, so anyone, from any convention, could wander the entire hotel if they so desired.

The room itself was fine and the amenities were nice (including robe and scale), but we couldn't seem to get it cool enough inside and, even on the 16th floor, we could hear some street noise from outside. There was also a dead fly on the windowsill.... this is the type of thing that I expect to NOT be overlooked at a 5* hotel.

The luggage transfer to the cruise ship via bellman the next morning was nice but, as I said before, if I had to do it again, I'd probably just stay a few blocks away for a much cheaper rate and pay a small cab fare in the morning to be dropped off right at the cruise ship terminal and porters anyway.

The best thing about the Pan is the direct access from the lobby to an underground walkway that leads to a small food court which also includes a couple of little shops for sundries and such. This meant no trip outside in the morning for a cup of Tim's or Starbucks. There was an EXCELLENT juice bar (Jugo Juice) with exceptionally friendly staff who were willing to accommodate an allergy I had (wish we had these in the States), in addition to a wide variety of food options (McDonald's, sushi, asian grill, gelato, etc). This is also a good place to access some free wifi since the Pan doesn't offer that with your $300/night room bill....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kahala, Hawaii
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Weird: There was an Anime convention at the same time as my stay, which was a bit shocking to see adults prancing around a 5 star hotel lobby in Little Bo Peep outfits (scantly clad), full body paint and other things that I just don't understand.

Poor: I was a little put off by the bellman who delayed our taxi from pulling up to curb by his poor traffic management and cost us an extra $5 because the meter just kept running while we were 3 feet from curb but "couldn't unload" even this close. I was tired from travel though and likely just overly sensitive.

No free wi-fi, I just think this is such a cheap thing for a 5 star hotel to do. $300-400 a night and you can't provide wifi? Starbucks just outside the lobby has free wifi. It's a shame that the hotel couldn't provide this small creature comfort, especially for ones getting ready to have limited access on the cruise ship that they may be departing on (cruise ship terminal in basement of the hotel).

Good:
Concierge was very helpful with breaking large bills.
Check in line was a little long but total check in process only took about 10 minutes.

Excellent:
Located right beside Miku Restaurant (top rated sushi)
Cruise ship terminal in basement of hotel
Food court with smoothie shop (AWESOME, recommend one with kale), mcdonalds, tom hortons, chinese, thai, natural foods cafe, subway and other shops (curios, postal shop-not official, just place to mail and get stamps, last minute supplies.
DollarRama is about 2-3 blocks away and great for last minute cruise stuff and FEs if you are on the Disney Cruise.
Liquor store is 2-3 blocks away.
They will take your bags (bell hop) right to the terminal station of cruise and check it in for you so that's one less thing to worry about.
Starbucks on first level of hotel.
Beds, super comfy.
Has a pay for stocked mini bar.
Beautiful roof top veranda and pool area with hot tub with great views of harbor.

TIP: Airport to hotel is about $35 one way, depending on traffic (more if you sit longer) but worth it. There is main rail line just steps away from hotel so that's also and option, we just didn't want to fool with heavy, bulky luggage on rail (underground).

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but don't pay more for it. Just get a "peak" of the bay area and i...
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We arrived early for a pre-cruise stay. Our room was not ready, so we went exploring the area for a while and returned a few hours later. The room was still not ready, but we were told it would be ready soon and to check back in 15 minutes. Did this, but the young woman at the registration desk accused me of coming back in only 5 minutes and wanted to argue with me about it! I refused to get into an argument, but this really left a bad feeling for me about the Pan Pacific.

When we did get into the room, I was put off by the labels on the robes, umbrella, binoculars, etc. about paying for the items if we took them. So, first, I was accused of lying about wait time and then I felt under suspicion as a thief!

Four Points by Sheraton at the Toronto airport had a very cute message about not taking their hairdryer. Much more user-friendly! If I were taking a cruise out of Vancouver again, I would consider the Fairmont or other downtown hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple