“great food and price”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Davie Village
Neighborhood: Davie Village
Reviewed May 2, 2013

3 of us ate there and all had different dishes. Well prepared and very tasty. Excellent prices. Disapointment was the small eating area was a bit dirty and there was not heat on and it was a rainy day of 10 celsius. Want to go there again though.

1  Thank Angela O

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I work & live nearby Thai Basil & would estimate that I eat here about 4-5 times a week. The food is very good at a very reasonable price. The menu is a bit sparce, but what they do have is very good. The restaurant is a bit of a whole in the wall...better for lunch/take out, not so much for a sit down dinner or romantic date.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

After having a lot of excellent Thai food at places such as Mango Thai on Davie / Bute and perhaps the best Thai in Vancouver at Khunnai Chang (Madame Elephant) at Denman / Haro, I have been on a journey to learn to cook authentic Thai food. I heard good things about Thai Basil from a friend and was excited to try it out, but I was quite let down.

To be fair, I've tried two new items that I've never tried before, fish cakes & pad kee mao (drunken noodles). I won't comment much on the fish cakes as I'm not certain how they are supposed to taste or the right consistency, but they were light and quite spongey with a distinct flavour of kaffir lime leaves.

The pad kee mao was a big let-down. From reading Thai recipes before I went, I was expecting a delicious noodle dish with a stand-out mix of ingredients such as wide rice noodles, Thai chilis, orange chilis, fresh peppercorns, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, baby corn and holy basil. What I was served was a big plate of somewhat greasy noodles mixed with crisp / tender green, red and yellow bell peppers and partially cooked tomato chunks in a disappointing sauce that had strong hints of Worcestershire sauce. There were none of the signature flavours you would expect from Thai basil, fish sauce or oyster sauce.

2 small fish cakes, 1 order of pad kee mao and 2 Diet Cokes cost $17.98. Based on the price and the disappointing flavours I will not go back to this restaurant. Considering the excellent Thai cuisine available within a 5 to 10 minute walk from this restaurant (Thida Thai & Mango Thai come to mind), I would not recommend this restaurant to the aficionado of authentic Thai cuisine.

3  Thank zaitrancer
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place we just wondered upon while looking for dinner and they had fresh pasta with any of the items you wanted cooked up fresh from their menu. Just about every dish was $7.95. Small restaurant that didn't look like much but excellent food!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

The food was okay. The place was a bit sketchy and dirty.

1  Thank Runnerchic71_12