“Dinner might have been good but I didn't get a chance to try!”
Review of Les Faux Bourgeois

Les Faux Bourgeois
Ranked #100 of 3,945 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

After hearing all the great reviews of the food, albeit with not so great reviews about the service, I decided to experience the hype for myself. Unfortunately they made it so difficult to make a reservation that I have yet to dine here. When calling to make a reservation the calls almost always go to voice mail. They won't make the reservation unless they speak to you personally...by the time they called me back and we did the voice mail dance, the time I wanted was taken. They offered me another earlier time which I accepted...then they said we would have to be done in 2 hours. Uggggh...this was too insulting so I told them thanks, but no thanks!!

1  Thank Umbach

Reviewed September 6, 2013

On a recent Saturday evening, we stopped at Les Faux Bourgeois at about half past seven and were most fortunate to walk through the bistro door just as they received a last minute cancellation. Had we arrived five minutes earlier, it is likely that there would have been no space available to anyone without a reservation. Serendipity was decidedly at work.

From the outside, the bistro and adjacent cafe (I believe the cafe functions as the restaurant's bar) have a quite unpretentious appearance. The trees in the small park across the street do not obscure the restaurant's facade, but do lend a pleasant buffer from the traffic on Kingsway. Inside, the narrow room, small tables and wood panelling are very reminiscent of bistros I have visited in Europe. The feeling that one has been transported to another place adds to the pleasure of the dining experience.

Both the young lady who showed us to our table, and our waiter were polite, friendly, efficient and attentive without being obtrusive. In other words, the service was just what one hopes for in a good restaurant. The food was equally wonderful.

The pate de campagne was excellent. I have eaten country style pork pates elsewhere, and Les Faux Bourgeois's version has a somewhat more subtle flavour than most. It is worth eating it on its own without using the accompanying bread.

I had mussels in white wine with garlic and herbs. These were wonderful, and there were a lot of them; this is important as my wife kept sampling mussels from my dish. Two mistakes many establishments make with this dish is to skimp on the quantity and also use mussels that are less than fresh. This was not the case here. Every shell was open, every shell contained the meat of just the right colour, and the taste and texture were perfect.

My better half ordered the tenderloin, and she happily cut me a few pieces in exchange for the mussels taken from my dish. I prefer my beef rare, and this tenderloin was cooked just so. Had I been hungrier, I might well have ordered the tenderloin as a second dish.

The wine list is decent. The selection of beer and spirits is a bit thin, but this is a quibble.

Located just off the intersection of Kingsway and Fraser in Vancouver, Les Faux Bourgeois is easy to find, but I would recommend reservations. We were just plain lucky to get a table.

1  Thank WDTVancouver_Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went there only once, 10pm, no reservation, no line (perfect !). Apparently you NEED a reservation. I guess I was lucky.
Anyway I had only a small crab salad and ....french fries.
The salad was good, but the french fries were very very good !! and served with a home made "aïoli" (mayo with garlic and spicy/hot).
I checked the prices and I feel like it's a very good way to have good french cuisine without going crazy about prices. They are very reasonable.
I like also the "brasserie" ambiance. Not too chich, so you feel comfortable coming in jeans if you like.
I'll definitely come back for a full, more complete meal.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Don't let the outside fool you, this restaurant is nicely decorated inside to look warm, cozy, and friendly. Although it may lack a seaside view, the interior has lots of character and is the perfect place to enjoy some delicious food and laugh over drinks with your friends.

I took my girlfriend here in August for her birthday and we both loved the food. The service is friendly, and they accommodated our request of being moved from the bar to a table when there was one available. The price is very affordable and the best value in town for the food you are getting.

This is the perfect place to go for Date Night!

TIP: Make Reservations! It's very busy.

Not Sure What To Order?

The Tenderloin and Creme Brulee is amazing.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a lovely surprise, finding a little piece of France right in my corner of the world. It felt like when we were away, the delicious smell, helpful French speaking staff, small cozy dining room with the tiny side room next door where we ate. The onion soup was just right, my beet salad and pork chop dinner special beautifully presented, tasty and priced right. I would have liked a steak knife but they didn't have any. Passion fruit torte was light and flavourful. Cool block of funky retailers in an otherwise non-descript area. The entire experience a treat.