“C'est merveilleux!”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“C'est merveilleux!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband lucked out and got a last minute reservation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful evening. It’s a cozy French bistro with a relaxed, non-pretentious atmosphere . It was busy and the place a bit snug but it didn’t bother us. We simply enjoyed our wine and dinner. We ordered escargot de borgogne, grilled asparagus, canard confit and filet de boeuf grille tenderloin, all flavourful and cooked to perfection. We capped the evening with café au lait and crème brulee. Service was great. Our server was friendly and attentive. He spoke French and I tried my baby French which he appreciated. Will go back again!

• Visited April 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“A great supper! ( Just what we needed)”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We called this morning and managed to get a table for 2 at 6pm. in the side part of the restaurant which has only 4 tables. It turned out to be great. When we arrived we were seated next to another couple in the window. (The window tables- shoved together, would be perfect for 4 people. It' great to sit here and see the traffic and relax and feel removed from it.) They left soon after so we did not feel crowded. We shared an appetizer from the daily list on the blackboard - Hedgehog mushrooms on toasted brioche in a sherry sauce- mmm good! My husband ordered duck confit on a warm potatoe salad, with greens and goat cheese . It was delicious (even though he doesn't like goat cheese). I ordered Truite Mueniere, with fingerling potatoes and small french green beans. It was perfect. We had a bottle of French Rose- very nice. Our server, Doug, was very good, friendly, informative, and there when we needed him. Merci Doug. We will be back.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Given the bums rush!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Last night my husband and I celebrated our twenty-eighth anniversary at our now once favourite restaurant, Les Faux Bourgeois. We were joined by three close friends for our six p.m. meal. Upon sitting we noticed they were already out of the lamb dish. My husband and our friend Wendy were disappointed. When do you run out of a dish an hour into your evening?The meal itself was very good. I admit I was not in love with the very heavy and burnt tasting caramel desert. Just minutes after finishing our desert we were asked to leave as out time limit was up and the next reservation for our table was waiting. I am sorry but at the prices we were paying I do not expect the bums rush! We were in my opinion, NOT table hogging. We were just enjoying good conversation and again, had only just finished eating! This was a special evening, with great friends. I have been in the service industry for thirty-five years. I would never imagine informing one of my clients they had to leave before they were ready. I admit we were informed when I made the reservation that we had the table for two hours. They made a point of telling me that twice. BUT and it's a big BUT! The service from the kitchen was very slow. We sat at six, received our main course shortly after seven and desert just before eight. They had only just cleared the plates and we were told to leave. At these prices I expect a lot better. We won't be back until they get rid of the ridiculous time limit! I also want our fifty dollar tip back!!!! I also have recommended the restaurant to many, many people over the years. Believe me, I will share this unpleasant experience even more.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank David B
Vancouver, Canada
“Very good food. Average service”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We finally got it together to get to this restaurant and line up at 5:15pm to get a dinner seating. I don't like lining up of going to dinner this early so next time I would make a reservation but it is nice to know that the bar seating is an option (they keep the bar seats for walk ins). We had a great glass of wine and the steak and frites. Perfect sized steak and HUGE pile of fries. Good value. My only suggestion would be that the staff could be more welcoming.

• Visited February 2013
“Excellent but squishy”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have heard of this spot for a long time but last night was my first chance to visit. Food was outstanding and we shared a little of everything: 3 appies, 3 bottles of wine, entrees (tenderloin with red wine sauce was perfect), and two desserts (creme brûlée - wow!). In total with generous tip our bill came to $135/couple. Very reasonable for the quality.

As for atmosphere, we had the table by the window, which was lovely. I did think to myself though that if it was just me and a date and we were stuck in a middle table it would feel a little too squishy. I guess you have to go with that in mind and soak it in as part of the experience! If you're given a table for two you'll definitely be rubbing shoulders.