“A taste of France in Vancouver”
Review of Le Gavroche Restaurant - CLOSED

Le Gavroche Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cardero
North Vancouver, Canada
“A taste of France in Vancouver”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We got a window seat which is nice but the view isn't much to write about - a few trees, tour buses parked across the street, a parking lot, and a few high-rises. Had the sky been clearer I think we would have seen the north shore mountains.

We did not get a cocktail or wine menu when we sat down, but if you ask for a cocktail, they will make it for you. And I assume if you ask for a wine list, they will bring it. Their wine collection is visible downstairs and it seems quite extensive and exotic. My bloody mary was tasty and they did not skimp on the vodka.

As for the food, the amuse-bouche was a stinging nettle and honey drink. Tasty and beautifully presented, but you only get about 1/2 shot. My husband started with the gazpacho soup which was small but delicious. He then ordered the venison entrée which comes with a sizable portion of meat, and you can smell the hay it had been prepare in. He was impressed by the venison.

I started with the seafood soup which I cannot say was delicious, but if you are adventurous and want to experience new flavours and an interesting combo of 5 different textures, this is the starter for you. It contains a sizable slice of sea urchin of which I consumed about half. Sea urchin was definitely not for me, but now I can say I tried it. In lieu of an entrée, I ordered the salmon tartar appetizer. Again, beautifully presented and a decent-sized portion, but the spiciness totally dominated the flavour. Wish I could have tasted more of the fish.

For dessert we ordered the strawberry-rhubarb crisp, and it was exceptional. The combination of flavours and textures, the freshness of the ingredients was like they just came from the garden (which they likely did). It was perfect.

Ambiance: The music was well-chosen and appropriate for dining. The décor is spare with the light fixtures being the most interesting items in the upstairs room.

With tax and tip, we paid $123 for two people. Overall, the experience was decent value for the money. had the bill been higher, I would have been disappointed.

• Visited June 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“worst meal ever!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Sadly Le Gavroche is no longer the quaint french restaurant it once was. Went to Le Gavroche for my birthday and was served salads composed mainly of edible flowers(so dated) and a small piece of halibut for $38 which included a few poorly cooked veggies and no starch...highway robbery! The service was unremarkable along with the new decor.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Diane708
Houston, Texas
“Nice modern cuisine”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Expensive but fancy. Local produce, cooked in a quirky way, everything got beets in it!
Presentation is very nice, and desserts are superb. Not entirely impressed with the entrees but not bad.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank DanielDP
White Rock, Canada
“How do they get away with it?”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Went to Le Gavroche for a special birthday. As we have been to France many times my husband thought a French Restaurant would be special for me. The food is overpriced and, honestly almost non-existant...tiny portions strange presentations..."soup" which turns out to be a few unexplained squiggles of some type of sea creatures with bouillion poured on top, price, I think, $16.00! Duck, priced in the $30.00+ range with a tiny amount of vegetables sprinked on the plate.
Never in France were we given such outrageously tiny portions of food for such outrageously high prices. Again I ask "how do they get away with it?"...Perhaps folks don't wish to ruin a special night out by confronting all the faults of this restaurnt... Perhaps they are happy with low cal count as on diet? Perhaps feel intimidated by aggrandized demeanour of manager?
Our entire family had a memorable lunch earlier on that day at Seasons In The Park, for less than half of the cost.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Rosemary S
Vancouver, Canada
“95th Birthday”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My parents wanted to treat our family out to a special meal to celebrate my dad's mother's 95th birthday. We used to go occasionally to La Gavroche and really enjoy the meal and especially the Grand Marnier Souffle. We found that the prices had gone up and the portion sizes have shrunk and were now very small. The Grand Marnier dessert still tasted fabulous but it was $16.95 for a small ramekin sized portion. The Halibut I had was okay (my grandmother found it dry) and didn't come with any potato or rice (just a very small amount of vegetables for $34). The service was attentive but it took along time for dinner to come (over an hour) and we had to ask for more bread twice. We had brought a cake to celebrate and they charged another $24 to cut and slice it for 10 people. Overall we all felt we needn't go back to this restaurant and as they were told ahead of time that it was a special occasion we all felt a bit underwhelmed.

pros: they could take a reservation for 10, mostly very attentive service, they were willing to make a grilled cheese sandwich (which not on the menu) for 2 kids

cons: small portion sizes, poor value, long wait for food, and the overall feeling

• Visited March 2013