“Vancouver Harbour Luxury at its Best!”

Fairmont Pacific Rim
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Los Angeles
“Vancouver Harbour Luxury at its Best!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim on the last week of July, the longest and driest summer ever since 1986! This is the site of Glee star Cory Monteith's departure, and flowers still lay in the lobby from adoring fans. The mood though was far from somber-this is a very busy hotel with lots of people waiting for their cars or taxis in the driveway, and the lobby bar/restaurant was packed and could even be more loud when their live music comes on around happy hour.
This hotel is across the Canada Place, cruise ship terminal and Vancouver Convention Centre, so it is very busy with massive amounts of people all at once when they come or leave. Unlike other Fairmonts, this is decorated not in the traditional but the comtemporary style, with unique sculptures and BC photos and paintings throughout the hotel. The market cafe is there for grab and go, there is Oru for casual dining with farm fresh food with an Asian twist. The room is beautiful! I was lucky to get a suite with ample living room space, great for small meetings or families/weddings, a private deck that overlooks the swimming pool and the cruise ships at Canada Place! The room is spotless, with great amenities, robe/slippers, fridge, workspace, and an in room IPad to place room service orders or spa appointments. The bathroom has spa quality toiletries, and a push button will turn on the now-you-see-it, now-you-dont disappearing TV inside the mirror! I have only seen this at one other hotel and it is awesome. There is a gym and a spa, and if you're lucky enough to stay at the Fairmont Gold level, you can go to the club room for breakfast and evening appetizers, and to chat with fellow Gold members. There is a spiral staircase that connects both concierge floors. Yes, there's a gym and a spa too, and a florist in house. It is a huge and busy hotel, sometimes the service may be delayed or not at its best because of the busyness of the hotel. If you want to get out of the hotel, t is walking distance to Gastown and all the wonderful restaurants and shops. I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: Coal Harbour Views!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westchester, NY
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at this Fairmont as one of several on our visit to the Canadian Rockies, as part of a travel package with the Rocky Mountaineer. Our check-in was a bit rocky, as we were told the accommodations level we requested through the Rocky Mountaineer was not exactly what we thought we were paying for. After discussing this with the reception assistant and her manager, we were finally moved to the beautiful, spacious harborview room we had upgraded to. This is the view you should request. It is simply breathtaking.

Room Tip: Tip: if you join the Fairmont President's club, your internet charges are waived. Harborview is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have agonized over how to write this review and have delayed writing it for a few days after returning so that I am fair to the property. I think that there are some people who work at this property who make it one of the better hotels in the industry but unfortunately, they are few and far between.
Issues during our five night stay:
- reserved FULL harbor view room, we ended up with PARTIAL view with most of our view of an office across from our room and an active construction site behind us.
- we had requested no jetted tub, room had a jetted tub
- we were not able to get to our room until after 5:00pm
- luggage left unattended in lobby (with all of our valuables in it) for over an hour while waiting for a room. It took us asking for them to be locked up
-wi-fi is ridiculous. You have to clear out your ipad, phone, etc every time that you get on and the wifi is different on gold floor than at restaurant, etc.
-we had to be moved to a non-gold floor room to be able to have harbor front room but then gave up our deck.
-housekeeping never picked up evening deserts from prior night. We had eaten chocolate covered strawberries sit on the dresser for three nights.
- once employees knew that there was an issue for us, it became almost overwhelming with letters to our room, apologies, etc.
- not aware of my profile in President's club. I had to call and request non-feather pillows.
- gold team member telling me that I could NOT be upgraded because I was at the top of my classification of rooms (NOT how American Express Platinum works)
The good:
- DAVID LALL from concierge saved the trip for us. I had communicated with him prior to our arrival as this was a VERY special holiday for us. He helped arrange transportation from the airport, gave me ideas for special things to do while visiting, found a high end bike shop for us to rent a bike for the week, obtained tickets for us to see JayZ and Justin Timberlake while we were there. Ironically, he had ordered something special for us to be delivered on the last evening and even told me to expect something and then nothing came. Staff at the hotel messed up on his instructions. He again made up for it though.... he sent something to our room later in the week when we arrived at a hotel (of another chain) in Victoria!! I must say that all of the concierge team was outstanding. Really outstanding and perhaps they should be the standard for others at the hotel to aspire to. The crew outside were wonderful as well.... always welcomed up back, offered water for the trip, etc. Chris in particular was outstanding. There were a few servers at the restaurant that were outstanding as well. I must also acknowledge the head Pastry chef JJ for going above and beyond with the donuts.
I ended up meeting the hotel manager, Rudi Gimmi after writing a letter to American Express and cc'ing the General Manager in regards to our stay. He was wonderful in trying to correct an unfortunate stay. We were credited with first night of our stay and moved to non-gold floor to a room with harbor front view and away from construction.
I am conflicted if I would ever stay at this property again. I have spoken with my American Express advisor since returning from my trip and he stated that he has heard a few complaints as well about this property which means that I am not alone in my concerns about customer service. The excuse that they were incredibly busy is not a good one as I would think that a hotel wants to be busy and remain that way.

Room Tip: Harborfront/harborview room does not always mean direct view of the harbor. There is currently const...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shannpann
FairmontPacificRim, General Manager at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are disappointed to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. Please note this is neither acceptable nor commonplace, and I would invite you to contact me directly at philip.barnes@fairmont.com to discuss in further detail. We certainly hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the high-level of service we’ve become known for since opening.
Philip M. Barnes
General Manager Fairmont Pacific Rim & Regional Vice President, Pacific Northwest
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

we had booked this hotel for our 10th anniversary, the location was great, just on the waterfront. Short walk to Gastown, skytrainand amenities. The service was imppeccable. We ordered room service via ipad and the setup was lovely with white table clothes, candles and flowers. We also had a couples massage in the spa, very serene. We love te full bathroom with the light dimming switches. We will come back again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim for five nights over BC Day long weekend 2013. Unfortunately, we experienced a few customer service issues during the first 36 hours of our stay, all of which, I believe reflect "over promises" on behalf of employees - an offer to notify us of a package delivery, an offer to deliver the package to our room, a promise to call us back regarding a login issue with our in-room iPad, a promise to call back regarding a spa appointment inquiry - all of which were not delivered upon nor followed up on.
Given our expectations, we decided it would be best to switch hotels, however Mark Steenge went out of his way to not only address our concerns, but to go above and beyond to ensure the remainder of our stay was agreeable.
He deserves praise and recognition for his efforts and a sincere thanks from two happy East Coasters.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
McLean, VA
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our poor service experience started when we pulled our rental car into the driveway. We pulled behind a car that was parked immediately in front of the hotel and waited several minutes for the car to move. When it did not, we pulled around it and were directly in front of the hotel doors. After we slowly got out, we took all of our luggage out and began walking to the doors with the luggage, apparently we now were able to be greeted. We walked into the lobby and at the check in desk, we proceeded to spell our name 3 times only to be told we did not have a reservation. Luckily I had the confirmation in my bag and as soon as I showed that, with the correct dates, we were escorted to the elevator for the "gold" concierge (club level). We spoke with Patricia, who was lovely and proceeded to check on the status of our room (it was 4pm) and it was not yet ready. We sat down in the lounge and were only there about 5-10 minutes before she brought us to the proposed room. I had paid for a harbor view but the room was 70 percent buildings and 30 percent harbor -- what other premium hotel chains like Ritz or Four Seasons would call a "partial view." I said that I would prefer a more direct view and she said "no problem but the room is not ready." We went back to the lounge for another 20 min and then went to a room on the other side of the floor that had maybe a 35 percent harbor/water view and a 65 percent building view. At this point, I did not want to belabor so we waited for our luggage and waited and waited and then we called for it. Then we called again and then, after the third call and nearly 2 hours after arrival, it was received. We decided to confirm that the dinner reservations that we had requested were made since we did not receive any message or follow up. It should be no surprise that none were made and, of course only a late table was available at this point.

We decided to go to an old favorite that does not take reservations. We walked downstairs and waited behind 2 groups that appeared to be in a cab line. After standing there for several minutes with no attention from the door staff, the individuals in front of us walked away and we went to hail our own cab. It was only in this process that the doorman approached and said we had to use one that they brought us. When my husband asked to use a hotel car (there were 2 sitting there), he was told that we should take a cab. While at dinner, the hotel car actually passed us by so the location was
Not an issue.

On our first morning, we went to the front desk to see if we could upgrade to a suite with a better view. We waited behind the person that was at the desk. As we stood there, someone else walked up and waited to the right of us. When the first person finished we stepped forward only to be ignored in favor of the later arriving guest.

We just stayed at the Four Seasons in Seattle and had (as always) a superlative service experience and the waterfront room was truly waterfront. It's possible to do things right, I just question whether the Fairmont has the appropriate caliber and
Number of staff to accomplish that goal.

This was my second disappointing Fairmont stay in Vancouver and it will certainly be my last.

• Stayed August 2013
15 Thank DiscerningTraveler88
Irvine, CA
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love to travel and have experienced many hotels. This is definitely one of the best. Once you think they've gone over and above they do something else to exceed our expectations. We used the complimentary BMW bicycles to ride around Stanley Park. I don't need to mention all the amenities described by everyone else. The complimentary BMW car service drove us to and picked us up for dinner at a nearby restaurant. When we returned to our room there was a message that I left my jacket at the restaurant and the driver was going back to retrieve it for me! He showed up at our door moments later with my jacket. Crazy awesome service! They provide running attire and shoes if you forgot yours and provide complimentary golf clubs if you decide ti play golf! Too many special touches to mention.

• Stayed August 2013