“Very good modern hotel”

Fairmont Pacific Rim
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Pacific Rim is a smart modern hotel in a great location. The room, overlooking the bay, was beautiful and the bathroom one of the best we’d ever seen. The bar was great for a drink in the evening and seemed to attract local custom, which is good. A previous reviewer mentioned a certain coolness at the front desk and I agree with that – efficient but not overly welcoming. The doormen tended to act more like bouncers and rather than having our cases taken from us on arrival, the door was held open with a suspicious look – maybe he thought we were too old! Then we were asked at Check In if we needed any help getting the cases to the room – naturally, we said No, because it saves the embarrassing fumbling with unfamiliar money when you’ve no change to speak of anyway. But, in a top class hotel, I expect the luggage to be delivered to the room without comment – maybe this is all part of it being modern, and most people wouldn’t even notice. The free two hours use of the bikes is great and that’s plenty of time to cycle round the nearby Stanley Park. Overall a hotel I’d recommend, and very close to being truly 5 star.

Room Tip: Ask or pay for any upgrade to a harbour view.
2  Thank Holleeds
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Pacific Rim

Reviewed July 22, 2013

What a great stay. The front desk staff were the best. We arrived early from a cruise ship and were not able to get into our room. They took our luggage, offered us bicycles to use, suggested some local areas to explore and made the pool area available. We had a fabulous room on the 18th floor with a harbor view. Lots of amenities. Would definitely return next time in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Request a harbor view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontPacificRim, General Manager at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay during your post cruise visit. We hope you enjoyed the BMW bicycle tour through the city and look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Vancouver.

General Manager Fairmont Pacific Rim &
Regional Vice President,Pacific Northwest

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had to be at the Vancouver Convention Center, located downtown, so we booked a room for 2 nights on the Gold Floor of this new Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel which is located right across the street from the center.
We liked our room overlooking Coal Harbor. The king bed very comfortable. Sitting area cozy. There is a very small and nice t.v. in the middle of the bathroom mirror which is special.
What we liked less is the loud music in the Lobby of the hotel, where the bar is located. It's nice if you really go there for an hour or two, but you cannot avoid it each time you go in and out of the hotel. We even wondered how the staff at the Reception and the concierge can work with this for long hours but.. maybe they like it..

Room Tip: The Gold Floor is always our first choice at Fairmont hotels who offer it.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband, 10 year old son, and I stayed at the Fairmont, and just departed. I wanted to let you know what a wonderful time we had in Vancouver, and I thank your great staff for this experience. Beginning with Matthew Scott, I was able to make many excursions for our family. He responded to every email over the last month and made wonderful suggestions which we did follow. Whistler's peak to peak gondola, whale watching, Stanley Park, the Science Center, and the Aquarium were all perfect for our family. We especially enjoyed the complimentary bikes the hotel offered and biked through the park several times. All the concierges were absolutely terrific. I wish I could name every one, but David, Mark, and Elizabeth were very helpful with dinner suggestions. We had many good meals at Cactus Cafe, Italian Kitchen, and Joe Forte's, and several other places near the hotel.The breakfast buffet at Oru's was delicious, and Giovane Cafe was a great place to stop in throughout the day. I especially enjoyed the olive oil tasting, and spent some time listening to Darren Brown giving the presentations at night. I did buy about 6 bottles of various oils to bring back to the states plus the delicious olive tapenade. I think the shop is a wonderful addition, and we had several of the muffuletta sandwiches.
The housekeeping staff was wonderful. I never met anyone, but they always had our room cleaned and even folded all our clothes left out. They left a small robe for my son and put his stuffed animals on his bed every night for him. That made him feel very special.
Craig with the front desk made sure we had a very nice room and a wonderful breakfast. He was very attentive upon our check in and took great care of us. His care and attention on the first day was a great indication we would have a great stay at the Fairmont.
We have stayed at Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, and Omni Hotels, but your staff and service was the best we have ever encountered.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank simi1228
FairmontPacificRim, General Manager at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim during your recent visit to Vancouver. We’re delighted to hear your family enjoyed their stay and we’ll be sure to share your kind words with our team. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
Philip M. Barnes
General Manager Fairmont Pacific Rim & Regional Vice President, Pacific Northwest

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family is in Victoria and I get an email from the Fairmont Pacific Rim titled "I'm on my way", we are checking in this afternoon and the email states that by giving my estimated arrival time I will be able to go to the front desk and pick up my room keys, I state an arrival of 2:30 PM. We arrive after a 4 hour trip from Victoria at 3PM which is the check in start time, we are told our room is not ready, can't be told when it will be ready so please go to the lounge and have a drink comped. An hour and a half later we get our room keys, rush to our room to freshen up and go sightseeing, our schedule is off. We return from abreviated sightseeing and prepare to go out for dinner. Taking a shower, the soap holder is hanging about to come off and the water faucet handle is loose, this may not seem like much at a Courtyard but I expect more from this property. Room is booked for a family of four, there are three bath towels, I call for more and wait, now our departure to dinner is further delayed. We start to unpack and in a double queen room there are TWO drawers for clothing, not the large and wide dresser drawers but enough room for one person, the dresser has two drawers taken for mini bar type snacks and such. How can a hotel take so much space for consumables at the expense of the customer not to have room for clothing? I call and talk to the manager who apologizes for everything and explains check in starts at 3PM but there is no guarantee a room will be ready. I tell the manager about the other issues and am told he can check for another room, I told him I may not stay so he offers my family dinner at one of the hotel restaurants to which I explain we have a reservation at a very nice restaurant already but would accept for the next evening. The manager says he will call me back in 5 minutes about another room which he does, I ask which restaurant would the comped dinner be in the next night and now I'm told that offer was only for tonight, whatever, we are about to miss our reservation at a really nice restaurant. We see the manager in the lobby as we are trying to leave and my wife tells him no thanks for another room, we have wasted enough time today and she just doesn't feel like relocating after dinner. We have an incredible dinner and return to our room about 10:30 PM, the message light is on. I call the front desk and I'm told we have a welcome amenity, I ask what is it and get a vague "snack" answer. Would I like it sent up? Why was a welcome gift not sent when we arrived? A friend ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to welcome us, now they are trying to give this to us just before bed time. Nobody could alert us to this gift waiting, we have been in contact with various staff earlier? For the most part the staff has been very accommodating and friendly but I hate to think what will happen next. I researched this hotel and we were very excited about our stay but I feel extremely disappointed in the conditions and attention to detail. My wife is extremely upset after what she anticipated and a failure to make amends. The Fairmont Pacific Rim has truly let us down in many ways.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank #1LakerDad

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; we sincerely appreciate it. We are disappointed to hear your experience did not meet your expectations and please note this is neither acceptable nor commonplace, and I would invite you to contact me directly at philip.barnes@fairmont.com to discuss your feedback further. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Great room with extra comfortable beds and pillows. Fantastic bath with rain shower and separate deep bathtub. Even has a TV in the bathroom mirror! All lights and curtains are controlled via in-room iPad - very convenient. The staff has been extra efficient, helpful and kind. LOVE the gold level lounge with the most beautiful views of Vancouver waterfront. Nice to enjoy breakfast and evening snack/happy hour here.
Vancouver has been a favorite destination. This hotel makes a return trip a must!

• Stayed: July 2013

We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay on Fairmont Gold during your visit to Vancouver. We look forward to your return trip to Fairmont Pacific Rim in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at an Ofuro room over July 4th weekend, and the corner bathroom attached was the highlight. It had floor to ceiling panoramic views of the water and the trees/mountains beyond. The view was breathtaking during the day and at night. The bathroom was large and clean. The bedroom had less of an impressive view, half of which was a large building in front of it. Still, loved the large space and the ipad controls. Service was great, and someone would deliver anything you needed by the touch of a button on the ipad within 15 minutes. Rom service was also quick and fabulous. The staff downstairs was also lovely and helpful. Brunch was also great. Oj and made to order eggs/omelettes and a large choice of buffet items including fresh fruit. The bar downstairs serves decent food, poutine and sushi were pretty good. It was a total scene Saturday night and really loud and busy. Also. The massage services are quite wonderful too. All this, of course, came with a price tag.

Room Tip: Ofuro, as high as possible.