“Absolutely wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Hemyock, United Kingdom
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Able to checkin before arrival on line, having received an email from them, so was able to collect our keys immediately on arrival. We arrived by train at Pacific Central Station then caught the skytrain to Waterfont Station from there it was an easy 10 min walk, even with 2 suitcases.
Its located about 200 metres from Canada Place, the cruise terminal we were to use the following day.
We were completely taken aback on entering the hotel, because as you enter the building, its vast and really posh. Ground floor was a large area for a bar and a huge land mass for the reception.
Our room was on the 19th floor which when we entered our room, we were gobsmacked, it was huge, furnished really well with push button electrics for lights, curtains, nets etc. Everything ultra modern, LCD TV & coffee maker.
Bathroom was huge as well with blinds over the full height windows, enormously deep jacuzzi bath, shower etc. even a TV with remote in the bathroom. Push button electrics for lighting and the blinds which provided superb views 'to die for' over the harbour and the mountains beyond.
Drinks in bar very expensive, min of $18 for a glass of wine. We went to a nearby reataurant for dinner and a cafe for breakfast, so cannot comment on food.
Staff were excellant.....just could find nothing to be unhappy about, an absolutely lovely place. Yes, ok, not cheap, but once in a while, you have to treat yourselves!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Snoqualmie
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Wow - I am still dismayed by our experience at this 5 star hotel. I am a Fairmont Presidents Club member and have used the Fairmont Gold level service in Kona, Hawaii a few years ago. The service and amenities were so incredible, I'll hit a Fairmont whenever I can and get a Gold Class room if one is avail.

After looking at the 3 Vancouver Fairmonts and despite the $600+ price tag per night, I decided to try the Pacific Rim. It was 5 star, looked magnificent and had a Club room avail.

We got in about 7:30pm just as the evening drink/snacks were just winding down and we missed any opportunity to take advantage (bummer). To our dismay, our room was right next to the concierge/club room. Since I didn't receive any special discount, was traveling for leisure (unlike alot of the business folk I ran into) and am a Fairmont President's club member, I thought for sure they would have given us a better room. The view was all city - but not an attractive city view (directly facing some office building). We were exhausted so went to bed early despite all the chit-chatting going on outside our room at the concierge desk (well beyond 10pm). The noise did keep my husband from sleeping.

In the morning, the coffee machine was on the fritz. We called to see if we were using it wrong and the concierge said she'd have some coffee delivered. 20 mins later we just dressed and went to the Club lounge and told the concierge to not bother sending the coffee. The poor overworked girl in the Club lounge apologized profusely, while the 2 concierge girls giggled at the desk.

The morning breakfast on the Club floor was decent, but not the same level of service as Hawaii. In Hawaii eggs were made to order and the warm food selections were more abundant. Surprisingly, there was not a Wall Street journal available in the lounge either.

Proximity to the water and Stanely Park was the only saving grace of this stay. We explored the city and were offered a late check out that we very much appreciated. The late check out was really the only benefit we received for our $600+ night. When asked if the BMW car service available for Gold rooms could take us to the train statione, we were told it was 'just outside their boundary' but 'a taxi will surely take you straight away'. I was flabbergasted! I'm quite certain the Fairmont Orchid folks would have stretched their limit for us. As I jumped in my taxi, I looked over at the Gold floor BMW sitting unused in the parking lot. I don't think it had moved all day. I smiled to myself ironically. I wouldn't be coming back here.

On the flip side, the room was pretty well appointed, with electronic controls for everything and the in mirror TV in the bathroom was a hit:). Additionally, I could see a fabulous looking lap pool and the gym looked promising.

I will never return to this Fairmont and probably none in the Vancouver metro. I will certainly never recommend it to anyone. My expectations for Fairmont hotels have been reset and I will not automatically gravitate to them when making hotel plans. I am so disappointed. The Cascadia was 1/3 the cost and I would recommend that (as well as the free breakfast buffet) over this Fairmont.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Save the $ and go somewhere else.
2 Thank shastaball
FairmontPacificRim, Director of Operations at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim for your recent travel! We are disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Be assured that this is not commonplace nor acceptable. We value your feedback and have reviewed your experience with our colleagues in order to prevent it from reoccurring in the future. I would invite you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your feedback. Please feel free to contact me by email at rudolf.gimmi@fairmont.com. All of us at the Fairmont Pacific Rim look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Valsolda, Italy
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I am a fairly regular visitor to Vancouver and this trip was in town for just one night so decided to give the Pacific Rim a go. What a beautiful hotel and a perfect location beside Coal Harbour and a five minute walk into Gastown.

An advance request for early check-in after the flight from London was taken care of without fuss - in fact upon stepping out of the taxi we were given our registration card and keys and then escorted directly to our room. Wow - what a view (see pic) - I had booked a 'Bay to Mountain view' and that's exactly what we had - superb view of Burrard Inlet, Stanley Park and the Lions Gate with West Van and Grouse Mountain in the background.

The room was beautifully appointed - contemporary but practical, spectacular bathroom with '4 minutes to full' spa bath, separate shower stall and ample space.

We used the pool following morning. This didn't appear to be attended and it was slightly odd not to have any locker service but maybe we missed something here.
The lobby, coffee shop, restaurant all excellent.

I would love to be able to stay here again, next time for a longer visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here as a family of 4 (2 older children) from England in July 2011 - had a room with 2 queen beds, fantastic room-wide view of the harbour, sea planes etc. The hotel is, as everyone says, beautiful and the room was beautiful too, with electric curtains & lights etc, fabulous bathroom,TV in bathroom mirror etc. As a couple travelling without children it would have been great, but we couldn't help feeling ambivalent about it for the 4 of us as a family:-
1. There was a tiny wardrobe with about 4/5 hangers and hardly any drawer space (I'm not exaggerating at all here) - we were staying for only 4 days out of a 3 week trip but effectively couldn't unpack enough stuff, and had to live out of our suitcases, which took up room on the floor. The designers obviously haven't tried to stay in these rooms as actual travellers;
2. We had booked and paid for B&B, but only realised towards the end of our stay that, even though we were in room for 4, the booking only covered our breakfasts and not the children's - this meant an extra approximately $45 a night on the bill - which we hadn't been expecting;
3. Pool and pool area were fine, but people are allowed to reserve sunbeds with towels and then disappear for hours - there are not many sunbeds, so there was often nowhere to sit, while a lot of the beds were actually unoccupied.
We are happy we tried this hotel, but another time would much rather stay in the Fairmont Waterfront only a short distance away and where we stayed on our last visit (fully booked this time) - less over-designed, more welcoming and less "cold" for families, while still high quality in terms of rooms, harbour view etc. We were nostaligic for that hotel at the end of our time staying at this new one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TJCNewcastleuponTyne
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim to be part of your travel plans. We value your feedback and will ensure your comments are communicated to our team. I would invite you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your feedback. Please feel free to contact me by email at rudolf.gimmi@fairmont.com. All of us at the Fairmont Pacific Rim look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We spent a 4 days at the Pacific Rim during August. It was our first time in Vancouver and the staff and amenities at the hotel was a large part of our enjoyment.

Here's some of the highlights and a couple recommendations.

Pool: The pool is heated to a very pleasant temperature. Our two daughters really love playing in pools but usually get cold fairly quick. The pool at the Pacific Rim is the perfect temperature for them to enjoy it and the surroundings are very pleasant for us to relax as well. Service was excellent and the decor and chairs very comfortable.

Spa: My wife had a manicure and I went for a massage. Both were excellent and the lounge area that overlooks the harbor makes for a very romantic setting. There are chairs the shape of an egg (funny sounding huh...) resting at a slight angle and open on the front. Two people can comfortably sit inside with with a high amount of privacy like you are in your own little oasis. I recommend spending the money to use the spa or just get a massage and its free. It was a very relaxing get away in the middle of our trip. Its a nice place to get away from the pool areas if you want hot tubs that are more private and less people.

Biking: The concierge was exceptionally friendly and helpful. They even have bicycles you can use so the 4 of use took a 2 hour ride around the park. The one aspect I would recommend is reserving them as soon as you arrive. That way you are sure you can have them at the time you are interested in. They recommended a drive up to Whistler and it was spectacular. Many short hikes and waterfalls along the way and in the summer there are numerous activities for the kids to enjoy in the ski area (rock climbing, etc).

The rooms are well appointed, clean, and in very good condition. The hotel has some rooms with unique shapes so if you booked a suite you may want to call ahead. Some of them have the sofa in the same room as the bed and if you have kids that can be inconvenient. When I raised this to the hotel they were very helpful in offering to change rooms and really pleasant.

The breakfast was excellent. More than I usually like to spend but it was well worth it to us. The staff was amazing too. Stopped by just the right amount of times, made hot chocolate for our girls and its the first place in a long time my wife enjoyed Eggs Benedict - they were very well made and fresh.

Overall really spectacular and it really made our stay in Vancouver enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Craig1965
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim in your travels to Vancouver. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the Willow Stream Spa, BMW Bicycle rentals and breakfast in ORU! We certainly hope we can welcome you back to Vancouver and Fairmont Pacific Rim in the very near future!

New York
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just spent 5 nights at the Pacific Rim in room 1201, with a terrific water and bridge view. As a female solo traveler, I look for location, security and good concierge services and, of course, a clean and attractive room. This hotel met all my requirements +. Firstly, the room was gorgeous. I want to live in the bathroom! The hotel is perfectly located, a few blocks from the Sky Train, right next door to the Vancouver Tourism office (which was great), across the street from the Seaplane Terminal and Canada Place (where all the tour and local buses pickup) and across from the beginning of the bike path to the Stanley Park seawall. An added convenience was the food court/mini mall next door, for quick coffee at Tim Horton's, some sushi or a taco, if I didn't feel like going for an upscale meal. If you are a member of the Fairmont President's Club (free), you can reserve the BMW bicycles for three hour rides, which I gladly did (the ride around Stanley Park is a must). The hotel valets also have BMW SUV's, which if available, can drop you off to your destination in town (which was great!) The concierge staff was terrific. Ivonne and the tall blonde fellow during the day (forgive me for forgetting his name) were wonderful. The front desk staff was great, too, running over to help you if the concierge desk was busy. Also enjoyed having the cafe off the lobby and the gelato shop. Just a great vacation. Thank you, FPR. I will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank liznyny2010
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver is a fantasitic luxury hotel. It is modern, it has excellent views of the water, and it's in a great location. The hotel has bikes availible for riding around the city. We took advantage of this and rode the whole seawall around Stanley Park.
The pool is set on the sixth floor, outside and overlooks the new convention center. It is chic and peaceful at the same time.
The service was excellent from the time we opened the car door to the time we checked out.
The only two negatives, were the breakfast included in the room rate did not live up to the same standard as the hotel and also included in our room rate was a "welcome gift" which was not in the room when we arrived and we never received the gift during our entire stay. While a "welcome gift" is not something I would care about, it was something that was supposed to be included with my rate and was not. Therefore, it was disappointing.
Overall, our stay was amazing and it was certainly someplace we would visit again.

Room Tip: Suites with the pool view don't have a view of the harbor. Enroll in the Fairmont President...
1 Thank PhelpsRoad
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim in your travel plans; we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback and will follow up and ensure your comments are communicated to our team. All of us at the Fairmont Pacific Rim look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!