“Good Hotel, Good Location”

Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Sydney
“Good Hotel, Good Location”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a balcony room - very spacious - King bed, separate lounge area (with a balcony), large bathroom including large bath and separate shower, and a separate WC. Good toiletries in large bottles and those of us with reading glasses can distinguish them. There are harbour glimpses from the balcony.
The hotel is located toward the harbour and Canada Place, slightly out of the main down town area, but close enough to walk.
The hotel restaurant (Prestons) seemed more like a bar/grill than a classic restaurant. There is no separate lounge area. However, this is not an issue as there are a range of good restaurant options within an easy 500/600 metre walk (I'd suggest heading up towards Thurlow St), and for breakfast there are numerous options within a block or two (I'd suggest Moo Pennies or Cafe Artigiano on the first corner).
The hotel has a pool and gym but I didn't use them.
There is free WiFi, but we found it very slow. There are a couple of PCs in the business centre on the 3rd Floor - but be aware that I was not the only guest that difficulty finding the Business Centre and you need your hotel room key to access it.
Overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OzSooty
Kathryn M, Manager at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear OzSooty,
Thank you for taking the time to create a review for us. I'm sorry to hear the Preston's didn't fill your specific needs but it is good to hear you enjoyed the accessible options nearby. I will review the speed of the internet concerns that you mentioned to see if they can be addressed.
Enjoy your travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The rooms were spacious with views over the water. This was a corner comfort room, the upgrade is really not necessary. The reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. One receptionist worked to arrange bus tickets to whistler at the same time another arranged canucks tickets for us. Nothing was too much trouble. The beds were cosy and comfortable and the bathroom was large, New and had an excellent shower. Would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank sallyj99
Dear Sally99,
Thank you for this wonderful tripadvisor feedback. At Coast Hotels we refer to our employees as Ambassadors because we truly believe they embrace all that our brand is about as well as being a great reflection of the city that they are in. Your comments reflect our vision in motion.
Please join us again on your future trips to Vancouver.
Ottawa
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is a real hidden gem. It is fairly new, so the property is in great shape. Clean modern rooms, great location, and really good value. The staff were also very friendly and efficient. Tough to beat this for the combination of quality and price.

2 Thank HilltopOttawa
Dear HilltopOttawa,
Thank you for this great review. We always strive for feedback that presents us with five stars from both a service and product perspective. I'm thrilled to hear we achieved this with you.
We look forward to welcoming you on future stays.
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have stayed here several times. The hotel is very nice. The decor is a modern and spartan. The staff is professional and very friendly. The location is great. It is just a block off the water, and a block down from the action in the city. If you take the train into town from the airport, the hotel is only a few blocks from the waterfront station. The price is consistently below the high-end chain hotels, but it is not in the bargain range. I find it is always a competitive fair price for the value. This hotel just works well for me when I go to Vancouver on business. I would consider it for a family vacation, but it does not have a resort feel to it. The pool is OK, and the exercise room is reasonably well equipped, but not up to an athletic club level of gear.

Overall a good place - I will and have stayed here again and again.

Room Tip: Look for deals on this hotel. The Coast Hotel chain frequently offers discounts. Their affinity cl...
1 Thank GorapWilton
Dear GorapWilton,
Thank you for taking the time to fill in your review of our property. Business travellers are a large part of our guest make-up, so it is wonderful to hear that we fulfill your business travel needs.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Saint Albert, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great location, so close to the harbour, urban fare is a great food store just steps away from the hotel doors.

Prestons restaurant downstairs is definitely worth a visit, amazing food, try the mac and cheese!

Rooms was clean and comfortable, basic but very nice.

Gym was really good, only downsides were that the pool and hut tub were really small and there were no lounge chairs around the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun N
Kathryn M, Manager at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Shaun N,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us, and travellers, with this review. Your comments were so helpful to us and I would love the chance to speak with you further. Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for me if you would like to let me know what I can do to move your rating from a 4 to a 5.
Enjoy your future travels!
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the time I arrived to the time left 2 days later, my experience was nothing less than warm welcoming with a high emphasis on attention to detail. This hotel demonstrated what I would expect at a high end luxury resort. I can honestly say I have stayed at numerous hotel around the world and this hotel hit the mark on each and every opportunity they could. Thank you I look forward to staying with you in the near future.

1 Thank Dale P
Dear Dale P,
It is such a delight to read the title of your review. We do take pride in our physical product, but loyalty is only driven through our guest experiences created by our ambassadors for our guests. I am thrilled to hear that our team made the difference for you!
I look forward to reading this review to them and sharing it with all as an example of why we do what we do.
Please come back soon!
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Coast Coal Harbour, it is a great place to stay and relax. Everything you need is within a couple of blocks. This hotel has valet parking only, my parking was included in my room rate as part of a deal. I really appreciated this though as parking downtown can not only be hard to find but quit expensive.It was also nice t know that my vehicle was in a parkade that had extremely limited access by staff so it was quite safe at night.
The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was exceptionally clean. Very quiet hotel so I slept like a baby.
The room was a tad smaller than what I am used to but this one was a special promo booking so it was probably a standard room. It was double and I think it would have been tight for more than two people with suitcases and everything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Avocet_9,
Thank you so much for you wonderful feedback about you stay here. I will share this with our team and keep my fingers crossed that every traveller reads your report.
Please come back soon!