“Good hotel, great location”

Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA
Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour for a few days in June, and was really pleased with the value for money and location - I am constantly amazed at the quality and value of Canadian hotels compared to those in Europe.

The staff were friendly and courteous throughout our stay, ensuring we were provided with maps and helping us to arrange transport when we were ready to leave to make our way to the coach station for the next part of our trip. A minor complaint was that we were initially allocated a double room having booked a twin, but this was quickly fixed and whilst we were out for dinner on our first evening our things were moved into a different room - unfortunately we lost the wonderful harbour view of the first room and ended up in a room which overlooked the neighbouring office block.

The hotel is in an ideal location for exploring downtown Vancouver, and we found we were able to walk to most places that we needed to go to. However, it's not far from the local underground station if you don't want to walk or are travelling a little further.

All in all, I was very pleased with my short stay and would definitely return on a future visit to Vancouver.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Owl_86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here in mid November for 2 nights and we very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. I believe it is listed at a 3.5 star hotel, but it is definitely closer to 4.

I booked the room through Hotwire at the excellent price of $86/night. Apart from getting a room with 2 double beds ( it is Hotwire after all), you can't beat the price for the location.

I agree with the majority of positive reviews here and would like to highlight the following:

Pros

*Downtown location, next to the Marriott Pinnacle and other similar hotels

*Clean, bright rooms with iPod docking stations

*free Wi Fi everywhere

*large format soaps and lotions in the bathroom

*Absolutely excellent service from check in to room service to guest services

* pet friendly hotel/non smoking rooms

Cons

*located a bit further away from the entertainment district but well within easy walking distance

*no bathrobes

*in room coffee was really bad--actually un drinkable. The brand was very good, but I suspect there was a problem with the coffee maker, I.e. cleaners not rinsed out properly or similar. The same brand coffee delivered through room service was great.

I would stay here again for sure. It's an excellent choice for business or leisure.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank tripchick29
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is an amazing hotel, close to everything. We stayed on the 19th floor, requested a view of the harbour and this was all granted. Prestons restaurant has a great breakfast and very decent value. My only minor complaint would be that the shower stall in our room was very tiny, and I am not a big person. But overall everything was terrific. As for the valet parking, I would suggest everyone books this hotel in a package, as this would then include the valet parking which alone is about $30 some per night. I will definately be back and will recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Hotel is modern, well appointed, great location. Front counter staff were very helpful and accommodating to my schedule. Room was spotless, bedding crisp, and free wi fi! Large windows overlook either a city view or the Burrard inlet. Top shelf all around...

Room Tip: Water view gives you both water and mountain perspectives.
4 Thank Marriott_Owner_11
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is a great hotel, easy to arrive by car. The staff are very helpful, the room spacious, beds very comfortable. All was clean and fresh. It was so easy to stay here, regrettable only for one night. I will return and plan to enjoy the amenitites the hotel has to offer.

3 Thank mpd51
Calgary
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is the Coast's boutique hotel located in the heart of Coal Harbour. It is a superb location and I understand it opened days before the Olympics. It is impeccably maintained and exceptionally clean.The best part of the hotel is the staff however. They are very professional and friendly as well. It is a pleasure to stay there and I look forward to returning.
The restaurant Preston's is very good too but if you are staying at the Coast also cross the street and check out the Urban Fair deli. Excellent coffee, breakfasts, and inexpensive snacks and or meals. I love Coal Harbour and the Coast has a gem in this property.

Room Tip: Try for a view of the Harbour. It is in the name after all!
3 Thank Walter W
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Got this hotel through Hotwire at $80/night. The room itself was excellent, it was located on the 9th floor. We looked into an office building, but I expected that given that I was paying the deeply discounted Hotwire rate.

The pool and hot tub operate 365 days a year, and it was fun to hang out in there on a Saturday night in the cold and rain! The hotel also found my girlfriend's jacket that was left behind in the closet, and sent it back at our expense.

Overall, I thought the service was good, and the location was excellent. Parking is a bit expensive at $37/night incl tax... but I knew that going in. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple