“Comfortable start to holiday”

Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA
Ranked #13 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The hotel is located in the business district of Vancouver close to the sea-front, but a 10 minute walk uphill to the main shops. There are good bus services close by. We were booked in for 3 nights as part of a Titan Hitours group. We were checked in and in our room within 10 minutes and our cases arrived 5 minutes later.

The room was spacious with 2 large double beds, good quality furnishings, 42" digital TV, free WiFi and a good sized bathroom with excellent quality toiletries. Unfortunately there was only a single bedside cabinet between the beds with a central double light that shone on both beds which ever side was turned on. WE therefore used both beds so that we had access to the light and beside cabinet. (There should be a cabinet and individual on both sides of each bed so that they can be used as doubles). This turned out to be typical of Canadian hotel rooms on this tour. There was also only one suitcase stand - not ideal for 2 guests living out of 2 suitcases. There was the usual hair dryer, ironing board and tea/coffee supplies (limited milk and sugar).

The window overlooked office blocks at the back - no problem as we ere not there for the view!

We were served a complimentary continental breakfast in a meeting room so cannot comment on the normal breakfast. We though that the dinner options were typically pricey as expected in a 4* hotel so ate out. (Vancouver is NOT a cheap place to eat anyway).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tynes1der

Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with my two kids 11 and 9. The location is excellent. A little few blocks away from the main market streets and very near the waterfront. In fact I would say being away from the market streets is a positive as it is very quiet and relaxing. And being near the waterfront is excellent as one can really take lovely walks in the mornings and evenings. And you are not that far from the market streets in any case its just a short walk to holp across for shopping or a meal. Lovely newly done up rooms and very spacious. Most spacious infact in my entire trip. Loved the big toiletry bottles in the bathroom. First time seen such containers in a hotel. The ceiling to floor windows are great - but in evenings one can see across the windows of buildings opposite you so I guess even those people can see inside your rooms. Though they are office buildings and no one is really interested but still maybe some privacy issues here. Had done a non-refundable booking for 3 nights but due to change in travel plans stayed only for 2 nights. The hotel refused for a refund/room upgrade/food voucher. It is not against my booking rules but still a small gesture might have been appreciated. But woudl come back here again. Loved the hotel and more so Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BobbyIND
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Great new hotel with a convenient location. The rooms are not overwhelmingly large, but well appointed. What sets this hotel apart is its staff. The front desk staff go out of their way to assist you and make you feel welcome. Would definitely come again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bvalembois
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Stayed here as part of a group travelling to Rockies. Good location for being near harbour -bit of a walk to the shops though. Room was clean and well maintained. Restaurant attached to hotel was good value for money and great didnt have far to go after a 9 hour flight.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank briers
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I experienced the same poor customer service as others noted here. The staff at the front desk need to be trained in proper customer service and etiquette. For a hotel that is trying to compete at a 4 star level it is doing a poor job. Upon notifying the hotel of my late arrival I was not offered assistance with any of my bags, I was told at check in that if I was going to have 3 people in my room that I needed to pay a $25/night 3rd person fee even though this was never mentioned before and the third person was my aunt who was simply visiting. She told the genteleman at the front desk that in that case (keeping in mind that we are exhausted and its 3 am) she would take some bags up and wouldnt be staying. He replied " then I can expect you to come down shortly?" What a first impression! Having spent the days prior to this at the Four Seasons Downtown it is clear that this hotel pales in comparison not to mention the location is not so convenient. Spare yourselves the fake attempt at service and stay at the other 4 star hotels in Downtown Vancouver for sure!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Rania0722
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Conference at the convention center. TA reviews of this hotel sounded good, so I picked it over the conference-negotiated hotels. I really enjoyed it. I had a corner room with lots of windows and, though the views were mostly of other buildings, I could see a bit of harbour, which was nice. The beds were great and the room ultra quiet (my main concern when traveling). No fridge but plenty of ice. In room recycling. Free good wifi (Many Vancouver hotels charge). About 8 minute walk from the Skytrain station, 5 minutes from the convention center. Grocery store just kitty-corner on Bute St - its upscale and has good food.

Just a block away from the hotel you are in the harborfront park, which has peds out till late at night, so it must be safe. You're about 3/4 mile from Stanley Park, which is wonderful if you want to wander outdoors. Lots of little restaurants of various types within a few blocks.

No fancy lobby here, just utilitarian. Staff were friendly. Restaurant is very good. Used business center to print boarding passes.

I really liked the feel of the hotel and the room - glass, airy, clean, modern.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mojave_ben
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Hello I actually work at the Fairmont in San Francisco. If I’m not mistaken asking for the name of any additional person(s) staying in the room is standard procedure around the world for security and emergency reasons….example: a fire in the hotel they would need a list of names to find you.

My hotel in Vancouver was sold out a few weeks ago when I needed it. I also booked through Hotwire to get a cheaper rate….if you read the fine print or see their commercials it says you get what you get….basically the left over rooms which indicates you get the hotels basic room. I find when I travel to Canada they normally give rooms with two queens or two doubles whereas USA gives King Rooms more often. I really don’t mind paying for the upgrade as it was only $30 a night and I only paid roughly $100 a night for the room. That same room was $230 before taxes (WARNING: Canada has a lot of TAX on everything) if I paid regular price!!!! I saved $100 each night!!! Now that was a deal!

I ended up staying at the Coast Coal Harbor Hotel as well and my experience was the opposite…the service was exceptional…….can’t believe I’m saying this but I think if I was going to rate a hotel on service, the Coast would get 100%. Everyone from the Front desk to Housekeeping were great!

Highly Recommended!!!!