“They just lost faithful customers!”
Review of La Quercia

La Quercia
Ranked #389 of 3,915 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West Point Grey
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and I use to love La Quercia. We went a few times a year and always had their 10 course menu. We recommended it to all our friends. So when we found out about the Costco coupons, we bought 2! We reserved a table for 8pm on a Sunday, and to their defense, forgot to tell them about the coupon. When we came in, I apologized profusely and the waiter said they could still do it. After a few minutes, the owner actually came to see us and had HIGHLIGHTED the part where it says to tell them about the coupon on the phone! She then proceeded to tell us that since we were already seated she "wouldn't throw us out"!

The meal was very good as always, but there were no risotto and no fish, and desert was very basic. We asked the waiter about the 3 missing courses (we had 7 instead of 10), and he said that they lost a lot of money selling those coupons! Well, don't sell coupons if you're not going to honor them!

I'm sad to say we will be returning our 2nd coupon to Costco and will never go to that restaurant again...

3  Thank MeliTravel

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We chose to go to La Quercia for our anniversary after being recommended by a few friends.
We made reservations, for a weeknight, and got a table ~ 5:30.
We had the 7 (?) course tasting menu. I can honestly, sadly say, not one of the dishes blew me away. Several were over seasoned (too much salt & pepper. And I certainly like plenty of both on my food!)
And not one of them contained any flavours that left me wanting more. The final dish, the chicken, was good but again nothing that left me wanting more and for Pete's sake, it was only chicken! The dessert was the ultimate disappointment. Out came a chocolate dessert with a dollop of ice cream and preserved cherries. I was thinking 'yay chocolate lava cake!' Wrong! Dry, cold, chocolate cake with walnuts inside. Not bad but nothing exciting or revolutionary at all in that dish, much like all of the others.
Overall the meal was not horrible and not even bad, just nothing impressive and did not leave me wanting more, or wondering how they made something out of a need to have to have it again. In addition to the mediocre food I found our server to be pompous and overly confident in the food he was serving. The ambiance was nice but very small. The tables are so close together that you cannot get out of your seat without walking sideways and having your backside right in the table besides face (coming from an average size person).
Perhaps we went on a bad night, or perhaps we missed what is supposedly so special about this place. Either way, we left wondering why we went there for such a special dinner and where we would be going next for some real dessert!

2  Thank sassy_og
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Four of us went for dinner on a Wednesday evening 'second seating' @ 8 pm: reservations essential. This compact high-ceilinged room quickly filled up, and the service staff efficiently helped diners with the menu and/or wine list. Our selected half-bottle of wine was sold out, so they offered us a half-litre of a similar wine that was being sold by full-bottle or glass only; a nice compromise.
We chose the 'family-style' six courses for $45 per person. After some fresh bread and olive oil, the various plates arrived one by one. Everything was delicious; the pasta truly memorable for flavour and texture. One of our group has Italian heritage, and loved the quality of the food.
La Quercia ended up being one of the highlights of a trip to Vancouver. If you appreciate good food and friendly professional service at a reasonable cost, just go.
Tip: Don't be shy about asking them to alter the set meal - we requested no veal and they easily accommodated that change.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This restaurant is my absolute favorite in Vancouver. They have two seatings only so you have to call ahead of time for a reservation. If you are looking for a place with atmosphere, I wouldn't go here, but if you are looking for a place that has amazing food and service (no frills attached), then this is the place for you!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I tried LQ after reading a review of it in a popular YVR magazine. We called for a reservation and they had an open table within a couple hours. I would have to say this is one of the best restaurants we've even been to in YVR over the past 8 years. The restaurant is in Kitsilano and is basically a tiny with room that accommodates about 30 people which makes for a pleasant, quaint dinner spot. We were seated immediately and the service was outstanding even for picky people like us! For dinner we tried the parmesan soufflé, pork belly, gnocchi, pasta amatriciana and the lemon cream for dessert. Every one of these dishes was incredible. The souffle was cheesy yet light, the pork belly with cauliflower puree was very very crispy and full of flavour, the gnocchi with porcini mushrooms was pillowy and earthy, the amatriciana with bacon and San Marzano tomatoes was bang on and the lemon cream with peach slices was delicious. I like to try and find at least one area for improvement for each restaurant I review but I am at a loss for LQ. And guys, this is a great date spot that will impress and is a refreshing change from the mainstream Yaletown overpriced meals we are used to.

1  Thank BRUCE W