“A good casual Italian restaurant”
Review of La Quercia

La Quercia
Ranked #415 of 3,914 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West Point Grey
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We chose this restaurant for dinner as it had recently been awarded Best Casual Italian Restaurant in Vancouver. It is about 7km [4miles] from the CBD, but we found it easy to get to, and return, by taxi. The space is pleasant and our party of four did not find the noise level too high. We elected to have the kitchen choose our courses and they were happy to accomodate a food allergy of one of our group. Overall I would rate the food as good, with some courses excellent and others not so great. In hindsight, it may have been better to choose our own preferences from the comprehensive menu. The service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I really wanted to like this place... I really did.

The food was a rolling ride of highs ( sweetbreads with porcini & gnnochi was sublime, veal tonnato was exquisite) and lows (squid ink risotto was under cooked, skate terrine was disjointed). But the main complaint in our group of 10 was the portion size of the dessert that you receive for the La Famiglia dinner (3 servings of lemon cream, 3 hazelnut torte and 3 scoops of sorbet for 10 adults?). A chef friend who joined us mentioned that it was maybe $100 worth of food costs for our $600 dinner.

Service was spotty. Our female hostess was warm and charming. I personally found the food runners to be quite rude, reaching in to serve or remove plates without as much as an acknowledge (almost bumping into me a 4 of times).

I can see myself returning for dinner as a party of 2 (or 4 tops) so that you can order a la Carte. I would recommend against dinning at this restaurant if your forced to go off menu and submit yourselves to the mercy of the kitchen.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We recently went for dinner at this quaint restaurant, with another couple. We loved the atmosphere, the wine and the food. The wait staff was attentive and very professional. I would go back tomorrow!

We decided to do the 7 course meal @ $45 per person. They don't tell you what they will bring out, it's a surprise! We loved it. There was only one dish that I wasn't too fond of, the squid, I love squid but I don't like the olives in the sauce. The other 6 dishes were great.

Great experience! Make sure you make reservations as far in advance as possible. This restaurant is popular but very limited seating.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just back from Italy and France and this place is comparable if not better than anything we had on our trip. Well done and keep up the imagination.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is the finest Northern Italian food in Vancouver. Adam and Lucais (the chefs) have both studied in Italy and it shows. Bellisima!