New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Refinery

The Refinery
Ranked #580 of 3,537 Restaurants in Vancouver
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: 1115 Granville Street
Transit: Granville and Yaletown skytrain stations within 5 minute walk.
Description: Refinery is a market style eatery and cocktail lounge focusing on fresh, local and wild ingredients with a focus on French and Spanish inspired tapas cuisine. Our menu uses local product whenever available to help reduce our carbon footprint, while also ensuring marine sustainability by adhering to the OceanWise Program. To further reduce waste, the Kitchen and Bar work closely together and share extra ingredients, so that they can be used in the accoutrements for our charcuterie board, as well as the bitters, tinctures and preserves used in our cocktails. Over the past few years, the Refinery has become known for our unique, seasonal cocktail program which focuses heavily on our in house made syrups, liqueurs and bitters. Our staff is well versed in classic cocktails, and our bartenders are excellent at creating personalized cocktails that fit any customer’s taste and mood. We are truly the only spot to get a great drink on Granville Street. Our staff is knowledgeable and quick to help guests with any questions or concerns. Being ambassadors to our city we are always happy to point travelers, tourists, and new Vancouverites towards all the amazing things our city has to offer. We provide a laid back, comfortable atmosphere to our diners through our music, dimly lit room, and elegant decor. The Refinery is nestled in the heart of downtown, but tucked a little out of the way of the hustle and bustle of the Granville Entertainment District, we are upstairs at 1115 Granville Street, between Helmcken and Davie. We are conveniently located within walking distance to many movie theatres, concert halls, and sports stadiums which makes us a great venue for food and drinks before or after the show. ~ The Refined Ones
Auburn, Washington
“Make a reservation today!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We love tapas places and this one is exceptionally good! We stayed at the Worldmark on Hornby, so The Refinery was only a couple of blocks away. We started with a Thistle cocktail (specialty cocktails are not cheap, but this was delicious!), then the golden beets, roast duck breast, and stuffed portobello mushroom...I really wish we had been hungry enough to try more...but to resolve that we are going back tomorrow! Great service and fresh, delicious food!
There are quite a few stairs to get up to the restaurant, so it may not be right for those with troubles climbing stairs, but I cannot imagine any other deterrents to treating yourself to a delightful meal!

• Visited March 2013

Vancouver
“Classy and Casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After reading such fantastic reviews, I decided to try out the Refinery myself, and I was very much impressed!

I took my boyfriend here for our monthly dinner date, and right away was impressed by the decor. The restaurant itself is small, but the design has a cool feel to it, while remaining quite comfortable. We sat in the back room at a little table for two, which I really liked the windows and candles in. Despite it being seven thirty on a Friday night, things were pretty quiet.

Our server was friendly, very attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Not at all overbearing and was honest about the kitchen staff being new: she told us if anything came out even slightly incorrect to just let her know, so I appreciated this. We had one plate brought out to us by another server, who unfortunately had almost no idea about the dish he was serving (and this was one that you needed to know everything on it), which was a small blip in the service aspect. Other than that, though, everything was great.

Onto the food! We started with the mixed board, which was two cheeses (blue cheese and an aged cheddar), two meats (cured sliced pork and buffalo salami), and an assortment of extras (sliced apple, apricot jam, walnuts and dried figs), served with croistinis. While I personally wasn't a fan of the pork, I adored the buffalo salami and thought the blue cheese was just perfect with the apricot jam. We then moved onto two of their bruchettas: one caramelized onion and goat cheese, and one garlic aoli and egg. Both were delicious! I particularly loved the garlic and egg one, since the egg was cooked perfectly and the aoli was really great. Under their "tapas" menu, we shared the seared scallops, roasted duck, and scalloped potatoes. I'd say that the scalloped potatoes were my favourite, and my boyfriend loved the scallops (I never like scallops so this isn't my forte, haha); while the duck was great in the middle pieces, I found it to be overcooked a little. That said, though, the red wine reduction it was served with was super flavourful and it was still a delicious dish. Finally, we finished off with the meatballs; we were worried they would be heavy, but they were the lightest, fluffiest meatballs I've ever eaten! Extremely delicious. I'd go back just for the sake of having these.

Drinks wise, my boyfriend had two beers (one on tap, the other bottled; I can't remember which they were, sadly), and I had a Georgian Lemonade cocktail and a Fruli. The cocktail was perfect mix of sweet and sour. I'd love to try more of their creations :)

We opted out of dessert because they only had two options (and we had been craving Thierry, haha), but for everything we had, including drinks, the bill came up to just $115. Considering we practically rolled out of the restaurant because we were so full, this is an amazing price. The food is great quality, the room is charming and relaxed, the service is friendly and warm and all in all, the experience was a good one. I can't wait to come back and try out some more tapas!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Morgan C
Toronto, Canada
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

As a visitor to Vancouver I was looking through the hotel's booklets and noticed this little ad for The Refinery which was nearby. So glad I took a chance - great tapas foods, reminded me of restaurants in Europe, fabulous wine selection and great "vibe".

Have recommended to many friends travelling to Van and plan to go back next time I'm in town!

• Visited October 2012
Houston, Texas
“I just rocked with the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

At the stroke of midnight I wanted to bring my birthday in with a bang! Thank God I choose the right place. I was told to go upstairs to "Sip" to lounge. The DJ was playing 90s R&B I was in heaven. The champagne and desert I had were great too. I was so sad they weren't open on my actual birthday night but I grooved all night long to the sounds of DJ Chris.

Visited February 2013
North Vancouver
“Hospitality and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We took our son here for his birthday and missed the Dine Out Vancouver by one day. The manager, who clearly did not want us to be disappointed, comp'ed us the lovely mixed charcuterie board. The bartender knows his work and made us cocktails we enjoyed. It was discount night on bourbon so I had a manhattan. The four of us shared the meatballs, bacon and eggs (pork belly and quail's eggs) green beans and scalloped potatoes (like you've never had before) and the gnocchi. Every one was a hit. It was a small menu but there are sure enough things we have not tried before to bring us back. But whenever we come back we'll have the scalloped potatoes again.

• Visited January 2013