“Friendly, great food and good value”
Review of Campagnolo

Campagnolo
Ranked #617 of 3,751 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Friendly, great food and good value”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Situated in an unreconstructed area of Main street, near to Pacific Central Station, this gem of a restaurant looks small and uninteresting from the outside. However, once through the door, be prepared to accept some old-fashioned Vancouver hospitality, and some great food.

I recommend the home-cured antipasti, which, I am reliably informed, is cured and then dried in the upstairs attic. The large board is definitely too much for two people, with a wide variety of meats (varying depending on what's in season), maybe a terrine, and chicken liver mousse, along with a selection of home made breads.

Pizzas are pleasing, with thin rustic crust and a wide variety of toppings. The chef's special is normally good - though I recommend you ask for details just in case (the Turkey, sage and brussels sprout pizza I had one Christmas time was fantastic!)

A good choice of wines (inexpensively priced for Vancouver) and a high-quality beer list make this a good value meal out.

Be prepared to queue for maybe 10 minutes at busy times, and be aware that they do occasionally shut before the advertised hour on "quiet nights"

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank London_Pub_Andy

Vancouver Island, Canada
“Welcoming???”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I phoned to make a reservation for two for 6 pm but was told they don't take reservations for less than 8 people. He let me know we would have no problem getting a table. I arrived before my friend and watched a party of 8 arrive in separate groups and they were seated as they arrived. I was told that I would have to stand and wait until my friend arrived because they don't seat tables until everyone is there. The restaurant was about half full with at least 10 tables open. I could not believe that they have a policy like this when there are lots of tables available and asked to speak to the manager. He confirmed that this is their policy. The website includes "a warm and welcoming space" in their description, which was not our experience. This restaurant puts their needs before their customers. We left for another restaurant and will never return.

• Visited August 2013
Thousand Oaks, California
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We ate here our first night in Vancouver. The service was excellent and everyone was friendly. We did call ahead for reservations. The owner recommended that we order the family style menu ($35 - $40 per person) as we were a party of eight. The wine list was good and reasonably priced so were able to have a couple of bottles. The food was outstanding, with the exception of one pasta dish that we didn't really like (our tastes, no reflection on quality). The pizza was outstanding as was the other pasta dish.

Was nice to talk to the owner. You can tell that he loves what he does. No complaints (other than the $540 bill) and did not include a meat course.

Think they have a happy hour later on at night which might make things a bit more reasonable. Nice evening and good to see locals working with such fresh ingredients.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank berniez
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Campagnolo best modern Italian in Vancouver”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The service here is excellent, elegant unpretentious atmosphere and terrific fresh unique food. They are open for lunch and dinner. The pizzas are terrific, the marinated hand picked grapes that go in the arugula salad are so lovely. Risotto excellent and the pastas tend to be superb. They always have a home made selection of cured meats, some lovely different cheeses, a well chosen Italian list of wines and Giovanni makes his own juices and cordials that are delicious. I come here all the time because I can always rely on excellence on all fronts.

Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Service only outdone by the Cuisine”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The experience started with a warm 'WELCOME" literally from the host at the door, moments after seating us our server came by with a plethora of information about the additions to the menu as well a the names of the farmers they source the local product from... maybe I'm a food geek but knowing where the product that I'm consuming comes from really floats my boat. I was coerced into ordering the chick pea appetizer(ceci) the server told me she would eat it if I didn't like it, well I loved it, better than garbonzos should taste. The house made pasta was to the tooth perfection, and Dirk Keller's Sloping Hill farm pork is the stuff that dreams are made of. I stopped by for quick lunch on Sunday and was surprised to see they serve brunch on weekends, FRIED EGG SANDWICH. That is truly all that needs to be said. Friendly Staff on both visits, great food, great stories, great restaurant.

• Visited May 2013