“You Get What You Pay For”

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 weeks while we were looking for an apartment in Vancouver. We were trying to save money and this place was by far the cheapest accommodation we could find in downtown Vancouver. Considering the price, I was very dubious about staying here but decided to give it a go. There are good and bad things about this place. If you have a room at the front (which we did), the traffic makes it impossible to sleep. The sheets in our room were most certainly not fresh and the shower area could do with a good scrub. On a positive note, it is in a great location and is very close to Granville Skytrain Station, there is free WiFi which works well, the staff give you fresh towels upon request, the showers were always hot and there was a laundry room available from 5pm-9pm where you could wash and dry your clothes for just $2. My advice is that if you are relocating to Vancouver, then this place is a great way of keeping the costs down,just don't expect anything other than average.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was one old hostel but the location made up for the creakiness of it. The room we had was small and a shared bathroom which was unremarkable. The was sink in our room though which was good as you didn't have to always walk out of your room to wash your hands or clean your teeth. There was a kitchenette on each floor which was great if you wanted to make a quick meal or heat something up in the microwave. Around the corner are a few main streets for all your shopping needs. And it is close to the train station. If are coming here to live or on a working holiday visa like me it is really close to the place you can get your SIN number.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The St Clair Hotel was perfect for what we needed. My partner and I were only staying for one night and were really just looking for a bed in between two long days of travelling. The email confirmation included directions to the hotel from the local train station and from the airport which was really helpful. The hotel is a convenient two blocks from Granville. When we got there, the smiley Jon (Dias?) welcomed us warmly. He looked up our reservation, confirmed our details and took my debit card payment all in a quick ten minutes. He then explained where all of the bathrooms/showers/communal areas etc were located, outlined the (free) wifi password, gave us some towels and pointed us to our room. The room was basic and clean. We had booked a twin room and were given a set of bunk beds, a double on the bottom. The sheets were clean and there was an extra duvet in the room, we didn't need it as there was no chill. The room also had two mirrors (always good), a sink, an open wardrobe and a chest of drawers.

Our room was right at the top of the stairs in the beginning of the corridor, some of the reviews here complained about noise. The building is wooden, there is people moving around, you could here a little bit I guess but I definitely did not notice it at the time. We went to bed around midnight and were not disturbed by anything.

We badgered jon at the desk for a million things including phone chargers (which he had), ideas of where to eat and go for a beer, which he had great advice for. He didn't even roll his eyes when we complained about not having plug sockets - there are plugs, we just didnt look very hard.

The morning of checkout we were up late and it was not a problem - they let us leave our bags in the reception while we went to go shopping and we picked them up later.

Thanks again to the team especially Jon for making our trip so pleasurable and easy, happily stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed in a private room. (59.28 total). The room was very clean. You put on your own top sheet. You are given a bath towel. Sink is in the room and washroom/ showers are down the hall.
Coming from WA to see a play, the staff was very helpful with directions to get to the theatre.
Returning to Vancouver, I surely would stay there again.

Room Tip: The south side is a The south side has a bit of road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I give this one 2.5 stars.

I stayed here for a few nights mainly due to some reviews here on Trip Advisor and the location, but I have to say I was dissatisfied with my stay.

When I checked in, whoever it was at the front didn't bother pointing out where anything was. Of course, customers can ask, but many other hostels will point you to where all the facilities are, and some even provide a brief tour.

One of the first things that got me is that there was no real kitchen. There was no place to make food. There are refrigerators, microwaves, some evidently old water boilers (for tea, etc.) and a few plastic utensils. But I guess the money saved in booking here could be directed toward fast food or something. Or microwavable food (which gets quite boring after a day or two).

The floors creak with almost every step taken. You can hear whenever people are walking, whether it's through the halls or up/down the stairs. For every night I was there, there seemed to be some concert going on down the street at around 11pm or midnight, so if you wanted to go to bed at that time, ear plugs would be a godsend. The doors to the rooms also open and shut noisily, so I felt more guilty than usual whenever I'd have to step out of the room while others were sleeping. And whenever someone had to get up in the middle of the night to go outside, I'd wake up.

I would hate to have been assigned to a room near the "kitchen" because I'm sure people in there could hear the creaking floors AND people using the kitchen.

My linens didn't seem all that clean, and my towel looked years old with a noticeable stain. Good thing I had my own to use.

I also don't know how often the bathrooms were cleaned....

I don't know if I would stay here again, even though it's about $10 cheaper than other hostels. If you're really on a budget and just want a place to sleep, though, then this could be a place to stay at. Obviously hostels aren't supposed to be luxurious accommodations, but I would have rather invested a few more dollars into a place with free breakfast, quieter surroundings, and a better common area (the one here was quite dull).

A good thing about the St. Clair Hotel-Hostel is that it's in a good, safe location that's near bus stops.

For those who decide to stay here, I would recommend bringing:
- your own towel
- shower slippers

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Agnes C
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Flew from London to Vancouver and stayed two nights at The St Clair, and found it to be the perfect place to begin my journey in BC. There is a park opposite which you could spend hours in watching a whole myriad of vancouverites coming and going, something completely unique to Downtown Vancouver. The staff were helpful, our private room with double bed was clean and comfortable. There was a sink in the room, the water was drinkable and you were encouraged to do so, a big fridge was provided at the end of the hall with a small kitchen area which looked clean and tidy. The walk in showers were heavenly after the traveling and made all the more enjoyable by being in by a clean wet room with a big door (not frosted glass!) and more hooks for towels, clothes and other unwanted wettables than you can shake a flannel at. Our room was on the second floor facing Dunsmuir Street and had no problem getting to sleep. Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times and it's always been clean and comfortable. It can be relatively noisy outside but that is not any fault of the hostels! I would definitely stay here again. I stayed in a dorm and also a private double room and both were great

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple