“Sleeping was difficult in this noisy hotel.”

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
St Clair Hotel - Hostel
New York City, New York
“Sleeping was difficult in this noisy hotel.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We decided on the St Clair for our stay as the location was good and the price reasonable, but we should have spent a bit more for a nicer place.

We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. Our room was next to the road and we were both constantly woken up during the night by cars/trucks, drunk people on the street, and people walking up and down the hostel's staircase. The floors are creaky and the bed was hard. The room was also really stuffy, but we couldn't open a window because of the noise.

Luckily the hostel was willing to refund my second night, so that we could move on to a quieter place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Clermont-Ferrand, France
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was not very satisfied with my stay at this hostel and seeing the other hostels in the area there are more options available.

I stayed in a double room which was spacious although the bed was not very comfy. The bathroom situation included a unisex area with several toilets, no sinks and several showers. Although the showers were quite large.

The staff did not seem very well trained as they were unsure of how to do some check in procedures and when I asked about advice on the city 2 people I had asked on separate occasions couldn't give any suggestions.

The only advice they could give was to not rent a car and park in the area as it is apparently very bad for getting broken into.

Room Tip: We had a street side room which caused a lot of noise during the night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights. It was a very clean room, with friendly office staff. Be aware it is only a place to sleep as there are no comforts of home other than a bed, sink & window to see outside, one light on ceiling, one plug near sink, a corner closet, no chair, no a/c, no elevator. It saved me lots of money considering a hotel was $200 a night. I would recommend this to anyone who only needs a place to sleep during the evening. It is near all the transportation to get around town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Grace M
Whistler
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I paid for a twin private room and was given a closet behind the public washroom. Not only was the room not clean, rubbish bin not emptied from previous guest, old pizza box on the window sill, it was incredibly tiny allowing only for a single bunk bed set up and small table. The noise from the street continued until at least 3am where it then moved into the halls of the hostel. I could hear every bowel movement in the washroom all night long and it just made me feel dirty. At 4:30am I finally broke and bought a room at a neighbouring hotel. I had planned on spending two nights here, but look forward to actually sleeping tonight! This room borders on inhumane, and would be better suited as a washroom amenities storage space. WOULD NOT WISH THIS ROOM ON ANYONE

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 9, 2013

我與朋友住在一個3人的房間,不能讓我有一個良好的睡眠。床嘰嘰嘎嘎的亂叫。在午夜的時候,我們可以聽到房間外面的笑聲。

燈光太黑了,讓我感覺不安全和地方不乾淨。然而,這個地方是真的不很乾淨。在公共場所沒有人清理垃圾桶。床單上有污漬,並在我們的床上,我們發現了一個發霉的餅乾。

晚上沒有工作人員。雖然前面的門是鎖著的,我晚上看到有人打開消防緊急出口門而沒有任何警告信號。這是一個安全問題。

唯一的優點是靠近市中心。房間價格貌似實惠,但如果你是團體旅遊的,如果你願意多付一份早餐的價格,有其他更好的地方。

We stayed in a 3-person room with friend. At least I cannot make a good sleep. The bed is creaky that sounds loudly even for single movement. We can hear the laughter outside the room in the midnight.

The lightning is too dark, making me insecure and feeling the place dirty. Yet the place is really not very clean. No one cleans the garbage bin in the public place. There are stains on the bed sheets and we found a molded biscuits on our bed. It could be a health hazard that the public washing room does not have washing basin. There is only disinfectant, but disinfectant is not enough. We need to go back the room to wash our hands, but there is no soap that we need to use the own one.

There is no staff at night. While the front door is locked at night, I saw someone opened the fire-exit door without any warning signal. This is a security problem.

The only advantage that it is close to downtown, but this could not compensate the cons listed here. I will not go there again. The room price looks like affordable, but if you are traveling in groups, there are other places much better if you are willing to pay several bucks more, a price of a breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed a whole week in a double room. Wonderfully located downtown, main bus and Skytrain stops a few blocks away. It was really clean (showers, toilets, fridge, rooms, etc.) I was actually really surprised that it was that clean for a hostel. It was also quiet (we had #25, second floor facing Richards Street - we can hear the cars and buses - but we don't mind it). I really enjoyed the concept of being "on a boat" (boat style decoration all over). Wifi worked really good, I could even watch some videos. I could have use a better pillow and the mattress was ok, but if you are looking for something really comfy, I won't recommend it to you. The reception people are only there from 9am to 9pm, but its enough if you are a resourceful person. Yes, there is no kitchen space to cooke, but a fridge, a toaster, a kettle and a microwave so you can easily have breakfast and lunch. Its a really good value.

Room Tip: I think second floor is quieter, try to avoid near restroom, showers and fridge area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarjoGau
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Make no mistake, this is definitely not a hotel. Even by hostel standards it's quite poor, with no proper kitchen, cramped bathrooms, and very basic rooms. Apart from the location this place doesn't have much going for it, but if you're only looking for a place to sleep for a few nights, at least it's cheap enough. Personally I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple