“Location and Price” 3 of 5 stars

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
Prineville, Oregon, United States
“Location and Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The St. Clair Hotel-Hostel is in the perfect location for exploring Vancouver. It is nicely restored. The private rooms are great. I loved the ship stained glass above each door. The staff was extremely helpful with everything. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. For the price you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Port Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

A group of us stayed here in July. The lack of AC was a bit of an issue, but not a major problem. The place is fine, rooms were clean, and as long as you don't mind dragging your bags up a few stairs, it is a an ok place to stay.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back of the building, and preferably not on the top story! unless you like...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Indian Head, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I can see how people wouldn't like it if they were looking for a hotel, but for a hostel its great! The rooms are fine and clean. There is internet that kind of works. Seems there are enough bathrooms and showers. The beds are squeaky. Just a heads up, there is no AC. There are computers that you can use for $0.50 per half hour, but they look like they are from the late 90's. The windows in the rooms open which is good o account of no AC. The showers were a little dirty. They are communal, 2 on each floor. The rooms have a sink in them and lock with a key. I was sharing a room with 2 other guys that I know so it was nice to be able to lock the door. The guys at the desk seemed helpful. I would stay here again. Great for the price, not for luxury.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank laneelms
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed twice now in a private double and liked it just fine. It isn't a life and sole of the party hostel but it's nice to chill out and really well located and great value for money. The rooms and beds are perfectly clean (and we even had a telly) but the showers and (sadly very limited) cooking areas could do with a bit of a scrub but saying that I was not disgusted. The more we stayed the more I liked it.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SpitfireSVG
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I think 3 stars pretty much sums up St. Clair. Not sure what the "hotel" portion is because what we experienced was 100% hostel.

First the positives:

Great location, walkable distance to Granville Street, cheap parking in the building, reasonable price for a shared room, provides bedding.

Negatives:

I don't know what their policy is on smoking but the whole building reeked of pot the whole time we were there. I'm not one to let this bother me if it's just a whiff here and there but this hit you right when you walked in in the evening and was still a problem in the morning. Not pleasant.

There were two restroom stalls on each floor. On our floor one stalls was out of order so we had to go to another floor to use the restroom if someone was taking a long time in one stall.

Showers were okay, no separate kitchen.

The front desk people were nice though. They have wi-fi but it was spotty.

I'm not sure I would recommend this hostel but it was okay for what it was I guess. I was just irked by the pot smell. They really should find some way to prevent that from being an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NorthwestGirl2006
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

It seems like there are very inconsistent reviews of this place and I guess I was hoping we would be lucky enough to experience the good things people had been writing. But our experience was pretty awful. The guy at the front desk was completely unhelpful, and didn't give us any information about the place when we arrived. Some of the things that made us dislike St. Clair:
1) The wifi is terrible. We were down the hall on the first floor and there was no wifi in our room. It took a good while for it to kick in, but only when we sat with the laptop in the corridor outside the bathroom.
2) It is unclean. A mouse ran right past me in the corridor near the reception. To me, that is disgusting. The showers were mouldy around the ceiling, and there was very little light in there.
3) There was no fridge on the first floor. We were used to having one nearby, or even in our room, but none to be found near our room or on our floor.
4) Dirty plates and cups were just stacked on a table outside our room.

The room was ok, but the bunk was extremely creaky. Had a sink in the room which was good. Our window looked out onto telephone poles in a very dirty, sometimes noisy lane. No elevators, so if you have lots of heavy luggage, expect to carry it. Nobody helped us with ours.

Some people near the end of our corridor had what sounded like a very good, loud time for a couple of hours late on Wednesday night, waking us up numerous times. That's not the hostel's fault but it sure made the experience a whole lot worse.

It was a pretty cheap place to stay but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank rubyelma

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I was looking for inexpensive accomodations: clean, safe, good location. St. Clair was great in that regard. The hostel was bare bones but spotless. The bed wasn't very comfortable but the pillows were soft and generous. Ventilation wasn't great and I was afraid to open the windows much because of birds outside. They had some barbs affixed to the outside sill to deter landing, but some were missing. I didn't have much interaction with the staff but the guy at the front desk when I checked in was helpful, although a bit of a "low talker". I am an older woman and felt a bit out of my element, but all in all, a positive experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business