St Clair Hotel - Hostel
$317
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$195
$448
$389
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Park Inn & Suites by Radisson(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
$237
Orbitz.com
$538
$461
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdowntown vancouverno elevatorheritage buildingthin wallsgranville sttwo blockswalked everywhereskytrain stationfantastic locationfree wifigastowndormwaterfrontluggage
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Group of five adults visited in Feb 2011. Basic accommodation which was clean and tidy. Service received was courteous but not overly helpful. Room is pretty sparse but was adequate for us as we only slept there, and went out to see Vancouver from early til late in the day. Beds were comfortable and rooms were warm. Area provided with jug, microwave and toaster but hardly any cups/glasses etc. No information about Vancouver available in the hostel and office frequently unattended. Price good for what we received. Would stay again if budget my priority. Access is up steep flight of stairs, which was not mentioned on the website, no internal elevator either. wi-fi and purchased Internet available.

Within easy walk of waterfront (and Visitor Information Centre), Gastown, Shopping malls, restaurants and eating places, skytrain, etc.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Elby78
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This hotel/hostels was one of the worst experiences I've had in my travels. Positives include great service. Staff was very helpful, and location was ok in the end I suppose. The negatives, and why I will never stay there again is the lack of cleanliness in the bathrooms (rooms were fair), older building with loud people that everything echoed and felt like people were stomping on my roof, and the end room we were in was rattled by trash trucks at 4 AM!!!! I repeat 4 Am.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Jen S
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights and I'd say you get what you pay for. It is basic but it felt clean and the room was a decent size with a sink. We wanted a double room but there was none left so we got bunks and this was perfect as the bottom bunk was big enough for two and we could put our clothes on the top bunk. Other than that there wasnt anywhere else to unpack which could be a problem. The showers and toilets were fine. Location was great, right by water street and not far from Gastown or Stanley park. The main problem we had was that our door had clearly had somebody try to break in previously and the latch did not feel secure. This meant we never felt comfortable leaving any valuables in the room and they didnt have a safety deposite box - we asked. We told the staff guy about the door and he said he'd come and look, but never got back to us. It's no good just looking, that needs to be more secure!!!! This was quite annoying. What were we meant to do, leave our stuff in a room with a door that just needs a strong push to get in, or carry all our valuables round with us all day? The morning was very noisey, all we could hear was bottles smashing from out the window on the street. Take ear plugs!! If we'd had a different room we'd have loved this place for what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We weren't expecting the nicest hostel in Vancouver but we were after a quiet one and that's exactly what we got...some great sleep quality. Great location and the staff were helpful enough I suppose. Laundary was very cheap! The one negative thing I can say about staint clair is that it does lack any form of kitchen, a fridge toaster and jug isn't really adequate. But overall was just fine.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was the first place that we stayed during our trip through BC, and I found that it wasn't really as bad as some of the reviews I had read (thankfully), but also not great.

I can't really complain much about the cleanliness or the sleep quality, it was pretty quiet in both of the rooms that we stayed in. But, that brings up the bad part of our experience - the hostel had put us down in the calendar, but not the official reservation book. Which means that the type of room that we reserved wasn't available the first night we were there. They DID work with us and put us in a larger room for one night at the same rate, but the whole hassle of moving rooms in the middle of a day of sightseeing wasn't great. Still, they did their best to correct the mistake.

The place does have a nice location, close to Canada Place, the waterfront, and Gastown if that's where you want to be, and it's very easy to catch a bus/metro from the Granville station 2 blocks away to get to Stanley Park/ the west end.

Overall, it was an okay experience, I just wish that the staff was a little more on top of things. I did find that it was hard to catch them at the desk in the middle of the day, though the guy who worked late-afternoon/evenings was very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends