“Excellent Japanese cuisine with a flair”

Shuraku Sake Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Shuraku Sake Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 3,945 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Granville Street
Cross street: Robson Street
Transit: We are located one block from major public transit stops. Downtown bound buses travel north on Seymour (just east of us) and Outbound buses travel south on Howe just west of us. Using the Sky Train? Closest Stop is the Pacific Centre Mall; just 1 1/2 blocks to our north. Numerous taxis can be found up and down Granville entertainment corridor.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We actually ate here twice, because the food here was incredible. The appetizers were a good amount for the money. We had the ebi gyoza which was an unusual presentation - a whole shrimp wrapped in pork and chicken in a dumpling skin. Perfectly cooked. The sushi was very good as well, we ordered nigiri style and also rolls. The seared tuna appetizer was so good we ate one and then ordered another one. The Darjeeling plum wine was a great cocktail choice, not syrupy sweet but sweet and tart, very refreshing. Also, for Vancouver, the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. We loved this place!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Visiting Vancouver (or any big city for that matter) is akin to me taking the Hajj. And for the 96.8% of you in Canada whom are not Muslim, I'll have to explain myself. The Hajj is the pilgrimage to Mecca done every year by millions as a duty to their faith. And like that righteous journey, I feel compelled to travel to distant lands (yes, I admit, Vancouver is not a distant land) to reaffirm my commitment and remind me of my responsibility, though in my case to culinary gods—wait, are there kitchen gods. Holy crap, there actually is a kitchen god—God bless the Chinese.

Traveling to a big city like Vancouver or Calgary each year reminds me of why I write my reviews and why I set such high standards. No greater example of this can be made than sushi and ShuRaku a lightning bolt splintering through the compromise I sometimes fall into when eating in Prince George.

In a quick summary of events, I had found myself in Vancouver over a single 24-hour period for the purposes of business. I had my trusty Toyota Camry rental and was content finding a Chinese restaurant near my hotel in Richmond. My accompanying coworker insisted on crepes, forcing a drive into the heart of the city at 9:00 pm. One rather lackluster café experience later and with moon drifting past 10:00 pm, I knew I had run out of time, and finding a restaurant still open which wasn't a Denny's appeared unlikely. But fortune favored the hungry and less than a minute's walk away was ShuRaku, opened until 11:00.

Immediately upon entering, I was awash in the comfort of being inside a proper sushi bar. I was directed to a table but found a barstool immediately. Dim lighting over darkened wood was the motif of choice, compromising some form for function as the countertop was crowded with bottles, boxes, and an adorable folding card showcasing the different types of rice in the world. The daily specials were lovingly scribbled on a paper, and my eyes fell on proper sushi. Ignoring any prices, I immediately selected the abori chūtoro (seared tuna) and premium red tuna nigiri. I also ordered the sea foie gras (green onion and spicy grated radish over pureed monkfish liver) and something called a volcano roll. Still hungry afterwards, I added a final spicy scallop roll.

Cutting to the climax, everything was amazing. The tuna was so buttery, it practically disintegrated in my mouth. The rice was perfect. Everything was a level so above anything encountered in Prince George, it reminded me how far that city has fallen in regards to quality sushi. I'll stress that again; I've named the best sushi restaurants in Prince George but that's on the condition readers understand these are satisfactory at best, and that said best is only marginally better than a tray picked up at the local Superstore. It's not due to the size of our town. I am a wholehearted supporter of our local Indian, Vietnamese, and Persian restaurants, and our fine dining bistros I still believe can measure of with those in larger cities. But not with sushi…not anymore. It wasn't always that bad, but now it is, and for those denouncing me, parading their preference as proof, I'd say come to Vancouver.

On a single day, I picked a random sushi bar, the only one opened late, and it just happened to be awesome. And I have eaten at other sushi restaurants in Vancouver before, and those were astounding as well. Are there bad ones? Of course, but those patrons living here don't have to settle for them. Every served plate I ordered showcased the talent of a chef committed to his craft. The volcano roll, with spicy tuna, crunchy tempura, and lava sauce, was shaped like its title. Each tuna nigiri was topped with a subtle garnish of green onion. I would have kept ordering if they hadn't forced our hand by closing the kitchen at 11:00.

If ShuRaku had opened in my home town and served this kind of food, I'd declare my blog finished, and I would dedicate myself to ShuRaku as my weekly ritual, a fitting replacement to the hole left by the lamented Suzuran. I love sushi and ShuRaku reminded me as to why. If done well, it's sublime, and I fear it may be a while before I get to enjoy it again. Even as I write this, remembering my time, reminiscing over crisp iPhone pictures, I pine for ShuRaku as I would a lost love. I can't find any fault. At $35, it even wasn't that expensive. Truly amazing.

DECOR: 8
PLATING: 9
SERVICE: 8
FOOD: 10
VALUE: 10

OVERALL: 9 out of 10

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We are finishing our meal now. The food is excellent: so fresh and delicious. Our waiter Jeff made the evening with his excellent service and recommendations. We stumbled into this place and what a great find.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Went to this restaurant at the recommendation of the bellman from our hotel. Excellent service. Had the wild salmon teriyaki - so good and the godfather roll. Casual atmosphere with good food.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Even though we weren't feeling our best (jetlag day 2), we had a good time at Shuraku. We had a friendly waiter, Jeff, who helped us to pick out some nice sushi and nigiri. We will def return here in July.